• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CAN communication with 2012 600 E-TEC

S
Jan 3, 2010
I posted on another site but thought it might be a good idea here as well. I’ve got a little project going on where I’d like to tap into the CAN network on my sled and read actual coolant temperature. I was able to plug in and sniff what was being transmitted (attachment) but non of the messages pop out as containing coolant temp.. Does anyone here have access to bit/byte identification for these sleds? Any help would be appreciated!

E7011F74-A71C-4CFF-9645-16225B671F94.jpeg

Feb 3, 2022
Michigan
Just so happens I did a lot of work with GM CAN, on a 2010 Camaro. Found all kinds of stuff like knock, ABS wheel speed, lateral acceleration, etc. I thought about doing the same with this, just haven't plugged in yet.
Example of what I built is here, I manually searched the CANbus and narrowed down each and every one of these PIDs.. and deciphered the bits myself. Some are being broadcast, others you need to send a request and wait for reply:

For Coolant temp, or any range that is between 0-255, those temps should be ready to go, in deg. C. Need to convert to F to get something your familiar with. So, I happen to know they normally run around 105F, so in C, that would be near 41C. So, there are a few bits that show values in the 40's. You'd have to run the engine, let it get warm and watch for one of those bits to increase as engine temp increases. The 255's are likely filler data or null, similar to FF.

What CAN speed did you use? 150, 500, 1000?

Is that all of the engine data you found? If so, should be pretty easy to decipher what they are. I use an arduino, and this data scrolls down the Serial terminal, for things like Throttle you can cycle it and look for the changing bits. Same with the others you want to find.. find a way to cycle temp, rpm, etc. and look for the changing bits. Once you tie a bit to a function like Throttle, then you can work on finding the scale and units. Temp is usually left as C, since it works. Worse case, it may be the value, and you need to subtract 40 from it, to give you a range of -40-210, or something similar. Most bit's can range from 0-255 decimal, and are usually listed in HEX. Yours look like they are already converted to DEC.

If you see two bits changing together with RPM then that is usually RPM, since two combined can be 0-9999.

Video of the device here.. was thinking about making one for the Ski-Doo.. I have 2009 should be very similar data stream I would think.

Premium Features