• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can a Yeti keep a 70 year old in the sport

M

mikesnick

Dec 9, 2007
priest lake idaho
The intent of this post is to give a prospective that might be a bit different. We now refer to our core riding group as the JV team (use to be varsity). Our younger ridding buddies can ride faster, longer and jump higher but we are still in the game. Our riding area is full of tight trees and steep stuff - we just go about it a bit slower.
I started with an Explorer, then 2MOTO and then along came Allen with the MH plus a UFO mixed in. The world of snow biking changed when Allen began production. I would like to thank Allen for bringing the sport to a point where it is fun. Allen has been extremely generous to the Priest Lake riders. Over the years his provided us with new product to test and kept us in the loop. (new owner new rules) As a note for comparison my favorite MH was a 2015 sx long track. I had 2 other sx kits plus several standard kits but '15 sx was my favorite.
So why the change to a Yeti? At my age I will do anything to keep me in the sport so I look for any edge I can get.
I looked at weight and I thought the kit would ride lower. It is lighter.
What I don't care for: Small item but the gas can is a bitch in real cold weather. I have modified the attachment (I modify everything) and it still needs work. Speculation but maybe the carbon fiber does something when it gets really cold.
Ski does bit into the hard pack side hills and wants to turn up - MH ski for spring riding.
The kit sits higher - Ski stays higher in the powder - that can be good for staying on top of the snow but I like touching the old toes down when needed in the tight stuff. Center keel is deeper so bike sits higher on hard pack.
What I like: It takes considerable less energy to ride - it handles great in the powder and on those fast exits out the skid roads it shines. So far I have not felt the ski want to slide out. Today we hit a section of road where some type of large track rig had chewed up the trail and the Yeti ski handled it like a champ.
I'm still on the fixed strut - come on Yeti get me the RRS - but the ride is quite comfortable.
There are so many neat things happening in this sport. The kits have their strong points and their down side and every year it gets better. I hope the couple of the positives that I shared about my Yeti experience will be useful to some. I just had to add a pix of the damage from todays ride - the willows are not all covered yet. Today the silky saw got a pretty good work out on one trail.

IMG_0338.jpg

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I really admire the guys that get after it later in life and hope I can keep my priorities. Also I just got a yeti. I am so impressed with its performance, not to mention the craftsmanship and engineering. Makes my 450sx feel like the badass bike it is. Imho it's a game changer.

M
Sep 19, 2016
Yep to Yeti and 60's

The lite weight and quality make all the difference.Sixty's are a blast. Unemployed by choice, retired by choice, snow bike on KTM 500 and 137 a blast.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I am 64. I sold my Axys and bought a Ryan Dungey KTM 450 and put a Yeti 129 kit on it. I love it. Much easier on the body than the sled and you can put it so many places that would have been hard to impossible on the sled. Unfortunately, I am going to have hip replacement surgery in two weeks so my riding is over for this season unless I get cleared for some spring riding in April.

M
Jan 12, 2017
The intent of this post is to give a prospective that might be a bit different. We now refer to our core riding group as the JV team (use to be varsity). Our younger ridding buddies can ride faster, longer and jump higher but we are still in the game. Our riding area is full of tight trees and steep stuff - we just go about it a bit slower.
I started with an Explorer, then 2MOTO and then along came Allen with the MH plus a UFO mixed in. The world of snow biking changed when Allen began production. I would like to thank Allen for bringing the sport to a point where it is fun. Allen has been extremely generous to the Priest Lake riders. Over the years his provided us with new product to test and kept us in the loop. (new owner new rules) As a note for comparison my favorite MH was a 2015 sx long track. I had 2 other sx kits plus several standard kits but '15 sx was my favorite.
So why the change to a Yeti? At my age I will do anything to keep me in the sport so I look for any edge I can get.
I looked at weight and I thought the kit would ride lower. It is lighter.
What I don't care for: Small item but the gas can is a bitch in real cold weather. I have modified the attachment (I modify everything) and it still needs work. Speculation but maybe the carbon fiber does something when it gets really cold.
Ski does bit into the hard pack side hills and wants to turn up - MH ski for spring riding.
The kit sits higher - Ski stays higher in the powder - that can be good for staying on top of the snow but I like touching the old toes down when needed in the tight stuff. Center keel is deeper so bike sits higher on hard pack.
What I like: It takes considerable less energy to ride - it handles great in the powder and on those fast exits out the skid roads it shines. So far I have not felt the ski want to slide out. Today we hit a section of road where some type of large track rig had chewed up the trail and the Yeti ski handled it like a champ.
I'm still on the fixed strut - come on Yeti get me the RRS - but the ride is quite comfortable.
There are so many neat things happening in this sport. The kits have their strong points and their down side and every year it gets better. I hope the couple of the positives that I shared about my Yeti experience will be useful to some. I just had to add a pix of the damage from todays ride - the willows are not all covered yet. Today the silky saw got a pretty good work out on one trail.

What seats do you use on your bike that feels comfortable ?

M

mikesnick

Dec 9, 2007
priest lake idaho
Seat choice

My buddies give me hell but I build my own seat as I want to get my feet as close to the ground as possible. Every tip over I avoid gives me more energy to play longer.

M

mikesnick

Dec 9, 2007
priest lake idaho
Update

I found that the Yeti ski is the best I have ever ridden on pure icy roads and that includes the TS with a triple center carbide. I also discovered that the Yeti skis is the worst I have ever ridden in 8 to 10" of untracked snow on a road. It was out of control. The same day I road a Camso and TS in the same conditions. TS OK but the Camso was really good.

Premium Features