• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bumper pull camper turned sled hauler??

P
Apr 5, 2019
La pine, Or
We did not. After one winter of holding off the project the fifth wheel turned for the worse with the roof falling more in and the amount of work to make it work properly exceeded its value. Also the plan to make the slide out into the loading door didn’t make sense as you would need 10+ feel of space next to the trailer to load and if the sno park is busy would have been difficult to do it.

If you have one does it have any slides? What’s it current condition. They are pretty heavy without the sleds so depending on where you want to tow it that may be a concern.

If you cut the rear out and made that a ramp door it would be a decent setup. But heavy.

Also found a scratch n dent special 22’+5’v locally cheap that we snagged up. Added a diesel heater and some budget shelves and sledding has become much easier.

Willing to pitch some ideas toward your build if you want some. Just send some photos in the post.

H
Jan 11, 2023
Montana
We did not. After one winter of holding off the project the fifth wheel turned for the worse with the roof falling more in and the amount of work to make it work properly exceeded its value. Also the plan to make the slide out into the loading door didn’t make sense as you would need 10+ feel of space next to the trailer to load and if the sno park is busy would have been difficult to do it.

If you have one does it have any slides? What’s it current condition. They are pretty heavy without the sleds so depending on where you want to tow it that may be a concern.

If you cut the rear out and made that a ramp door it would be a decent setup. But heavy.

Also found a scratch n dent special 22’+5’v locally cheap that we snagged up. Added a diesel heater and some budget shelves and sledding has become much easier.

Willing to pitch some ideas toward your build if you want some. Just send some photos in the post.
I have been planning and watching insurance auctions. After talking to some guys that have tried it I think I'm going to skip trying to convert a fifth wheel to a toy hauler and strip one to the frame and start from scratch. I have seen a couple of successful flatbeds and it wouldn't be hard to enclose them. I also ride with my 2 sons and they are starting to move out so my trailer size requirements are probably going to be changing as well.

P
Apr 5, 2019
La pine, Or
I have a three place enclosed for sale in Oregon if interested. The fifth wheel project always draws people in for cost but then the work load and general weight usually keeps people away. And stripping one to a frame isn’t hard but removing the garbage can be. Also building its own enclosure is easy.

these guys are fun to watch and they turned a 16’ flatbed to a hauler.

7815DA31-518E-4583-89AC-CE052569D83C.jpeg 14D09F29-B4F5-450B-AD6C-81D09E06088E.jpeg

Premium Features