• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken Primary Clutch Springs ??

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
The primary spring is binding in the spider cup. Here is a picture. Look at the wear at the top of the cup. Maybe the cup needs to be a larger dia. 553 mi. on this clutch and no broken springs. Primary spring was collapsed.

119.jpg

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The primary spring is binding in the spider cup. Here is a picture. Look at the wear at the top of the cup. Maybe the cup needs to be a larger dia. 553 mi. on this clutch and no broken springs. Primary spring was collapsed.

Anyone remember the black plastic spring guard Polaris had many years ago on certain models to prevent this? I still have one on the shelf in the garage. Might be a easy cure?

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs

IMO, making the cup bigger doesn't solve the root issue. It is the binding on the bottom of the cup that forces the spring to want to press outwards. Even with a wider cup, the binding still occurs and this will sack out the springs and still possibly break them. I am convinced that the Delrin shims are a better answer than just the wider cup.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
I've done that to all my springs for years Seth.

I've been using Thunderproducts glide washers in the Cat clutches for a few years now with great success... http://www.thunderproducts.com/glide_washer.htm

I put these in my pro with a Speedwerx H5 125/340 spring and it did amazing last weekend. No paint taken off yet. 60 miles. The speedwerx springs fit better in the cat clutches. The SLP springs always fit in the Cat clutches too tight and will bind in the cup. Just a thought on these pro's.

These work well. It was the same deal with the Cat M primary springs, which they did end up recalling in 2010. A couple glide washers, problem vanished. I noticed they do wear pretty good after about 750 miles. Only a little over 300 miles on the Poo and looking good. Probably do the same as delrins will but I think when the spring starts digging they may offer more protection to the soft aluminum spring cup.

http://www.thunderproducts.com/glide_washer.htm

Dan Corriveau

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Just got a complete clutch under warranty after my clutch spring broke and did some damage to the cover. I'm waiting on my delrin washers from Indy Dan and hopefully there will be no more issues. My dealer thinks it is a bad batch of springs as the Dragons ran this spring and never really had any issues?

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
I assure you Dan it is not a bad batch of springs...

I have broken Polaris springs and SLP springs in mine!

I have about 60 miles on my brand new SLP blue/pink primary spring using two washers I got from Indy Dan (one on each side of the spring) and the wear on this spring is WAY better than it was on any before I installed the washers.

I think the washers are the answer, but only time will tell:face-icon-small-win

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
So its unreasonable to think that a new $12,000 snowmobile should be built correctly and ready to ride?

Dude its polaris, it took an outside company to figure out how to redesign a combustion engine "cfi4" to make it last. They dont care just more money in there pockets

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Just need one washer - PM me if you wanna split cost (yeah I'm a basic member and still broke after losing a job to to closure).

Thanks!

G

Dan Corriveau

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
I also ordered a SLP blue pink as a back up. I only added one of Indy Dan's washer just so it wouldn't change rpm's to much or possible coil bind?

friscospices.com

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Nebraska
www.friscospices.com
2 springs broke. 3 days riding 144 boondocking miles. I have 2 delrin washers on mine. I wonder if the height of the turbo springs is the issue, they are over an inch taller. I was lucky to have a spare with me. Same marks as everyone is seeing.

Last edited:
T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
So, this weekend I snapped my primary clutch in half! Positive thing is the spring is ok:( Clutch literally snapped the shaft in half...wonder how the dealer is going to get that piece off the crank???

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Indy Dan balanced my clutch on my 2012 when it was brand new. Great job. Anyways, I have just over 500 miles on mine stock and the primary spring broke this weekend. I am not sure how far I rode it before I noticed plus I had to ride it off the mountain. Hoping I didn't further damage it. Do you think a delrin washer is my fix. Do I put it on the spider side or the cover. Or doesn't it matter? Looking back on it when I changed weights for altitude I removed the cover and the spring stayed in the cover when I lifted it off. I wonder if it was already bound up in the cover pocket???

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Lets start a poll on how many of us just want 440fart to just shut the h up

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
I think the Delrin washer was working, yes.

Hard to tell though...only got about 100 miles or so on the new SLP Blue/Pink spring before the clutch snapped in half:(

There appeared to be less wear on the spring though in the 100 miles that I put on it with the Delrin washer in...

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
^^^ I'd try to get Polaris to warranty a new clutch for you. Something isn't right there. I have 230 miles using a Speedwerx H5 alloy 125/340 red/white spring (that was used on a proclimb for 450 miles) with a Thunderproducts glide washer on each side. No issues yet.

Premium Features