• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Breather Check Valve??

C

clark54

Apr 23, 2008
Missoula, Montana
Is there a check valve or maybe PCV automotive type valve a guy could put in the breather coming off the valve cover to prevent oil from escaping when a bike is on it's side or rolled over?

Several times last year when I got bucked off the bike landed on its side or upside down and oil COVERED the thing. Any thoughts??

D

DenverSnowBike

Feb 4, 2015
Denver, CO
Is there a check valve or maybe PCV automotive type valve a guy could put in the breather coming off the valve cover to prevent oil from escaping when a bike is on it's side or rolled over?

Several times last year when I got bucked off the bike landed on its side or upside down and oil COVERED the thing. Any thoughts??

I don't know of one off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's a check valve out there that would work. I don't see why it wouldn't work...freezing and not working properly comes to mind though...

S

screech

Nov 23, 2009
I would love to find some kind of fix as well. Puked oil a few times last season. I don't see why a roll over valve style wouldn't work.

C

clark54

Apr 23, 2008
Missoula, Montana
That's a good idea Screech. Would be interesting to take a look at. Would have to make sure it wouldn't build pressure in the motor and blow a seal...

S

screech

Nov 23, 2009
I have to get one for my fuel cell on my 66c10 so maybe I'll see. It's supposed to vent the fuel but a ball falls as soon as it's on its side or upside down. Sounds like something similar to what I need for my bike.

S

screech

Nov 23, 2009
The previous one I posted was an in tank version.

This one is a remote location one, should work decent. Z

S

screech

Nov 23, 2009
Not yet. It's still ran into my intake. I need to order up that heck valve and try it out

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
klx green

when Kawasaki came out with their KLX 250 I wooped one up to try and make an enduro bike out of it. I ran a pcv valve in its vent line for a couple of years, seemed to work ok, no blown gaskets or pressure build up, not sure if one would be prone to icing or not. Just put a new one in my 2002 chevy truck and it is about the right size for $3.95

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
dont do it

guys if you want to do this the only way is to use tip over switch from street bikes. if you put a valve in that blocks the air flow when tipped it will push the crank seal out just like when the breather valve hose freezes up, i have seen this first hand by poorly done bikes. wire in a tip kill switch to kill engine if your worried about it.

S

screech

Nov 23, 2009
guys if you want to do this the only way is to use tip over switch from street bikes. if you put a valve in that blocks the air flow when tipped it will push the crank seal out just like when the breather valve hose freezes up, i have seen this first hand by poorly done bikes. wire in a tip kill switch to kill engine if your worried about it.

Shutting off the bike isn't the problem. Oil puking out the vent on the head is. It's only if stuck upside down or tipped down hill.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
Shutting off the bike isn't the problem. Oil puking out the vent on the head is. It's only if stuck upside down or tipped down hill.

i understand the situation but its caused by th.e engine runnind and crankcase pressures that is forcing the oil out quickly
yes it may still leak some if shut off but not like if running

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I run an RMZ 450 and have had good luck running my crankcase breather tube up and over the throttle body tube like stock and then I have it continue up under the tank and behind the radiator. The I put a crankcase breather filter on it. It was rare that I would get oil coming out when tipped and it is also right where you can see it to make sure it is not in the snow and the radiator seemed to keep it dry and protected well.

S

screech

Nov 23, 2009
I haven't seen anyone have an issue except for on the Honda bikes.

T
Oct 10, 2001
Spokane WA
I run an RMZ 450 and have had good luck running my crankcase breather tube up and over the throttle body tube like stock and then I have it continue up under the tank and behind the radiator. The I put a crankcase breather filter on it. It was rare that I would get oil coming out when tipped and it is also right where you can see it to make sure it is not in the snow and the radiator seemed to keep it dry and protected well.

Can you post some pics please?

Premium Features