• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bought used sled, advice please

V

villain

Nov 2, 2013
A few years ago decided I wanted to get a sled again. This year it was fez able for me. So started looking. Only had 3k to work with for sled and trailer. Found a trailer for 400 that needed some work, that deal turned out great. But the sled....

Found a "trail ridden" 01 rmk 800 sc. Picked it up for 2400 without doing much research cause I grew up riding polaris and never had problems with any of them. Thought I was getting a fair deal for a good sled. Brought it home did some general stuff and went out riding. Found out on the trail that the thing spent a couple days in a ravine. Then a week later I found out that it was wrapped around a tree. (Prolly in the ravine). Previous owner said nothing about that when I asked if it was ever wrecked. He also told me that he takes " impeccable care" of all his toys. So what would some of you guys do? In at the point of I guess I should of asked more questions, looked at it outside the damn trailer, waited to buy, done more research. So I guess it's mostly my fault. But at what point do I just give up and cut my losses. Or am I in to deep now and should I just keep moving forward? Idk

Here's a list of what I have done so far.

Hi fax was completely worn through
Chain case was completely out of oil
Speedo cable was broke. ( shows 2k miles but who knows really how many miles are on it)
All lights but one were burned out
Ignition switch was missing
Voltage regulator was bad
Clutch was way out of balance
Seized up tie rods (both of them)
Broken heim joints
2 torn motor mounts
Clutch needed rebuilt
Track is missing 3 lugs
Shocks need rebuilt

Am I being picky? Is this normal things to replace on a $2300 sled? And I know about the crank problems and am planning on having the engine rebuilt over the summer if it makes it that far.

The thing starts on the second pull every time, warm or cold, runs like a raped ape, and climbs like a billy goat.

Should I just suck it up, or should I look into my options? Need advice. Don't want to miss out on this season, especially now that I have been bitten by the bug.

M
Feb 28, 2011
MT Lassen
Now that you have put all that work into it I say ride it this season, then sell it and upgrade next year.

I know geographic area plays a big part in used sled prices, but my buddy sold the same year/ model sled as you purchased last year for $1500 here in Northern California. All stock sled except a 2" handlebar riser and had 2700 mile on it.

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
He's right you overpaid and fixing stuff is normal on any used sled.

I personally would sell it while prices are still high and save a little bit longer so you could get a m7 or rev, either of those you should be able to get for 3k once the season gets underway and so much more fun to ride then any sled with trailing arms!

Last edited:
V

villain

Nov 2, 2013
What would be a fair price? 1500?? If so that's too much of a loss and I will just ride it this year then move up. I realistically don't see getting anywhere close to what I paid for it, let alone what I have into it at this point. Unless u find a buyer for me. Haha!

R
Jun 14, 2008
Southern Idaho
I say ride it and enjoy. All my sleds are 02 or03 Summits and i go everywhere I want and have lots of fun. A newer sled will come in the future but for now I enjoy what I have. Also I can fix them myself. Its easier watching the older sled roll down the mountain than a newer sled. Plus I can fixer up myself. Just my .02 . Ride and have fun.

V

villain

Nov 2, 2013
I say ride it and enjoy. All my sleds are 02 or03 Summits and i go everywhere I want and have lots of fun. A newer sled will come in the future but for now I enjoy what I have. Also I can fix them myself. Its easier watching the older sled roll down the mountain than a newer sled. Plus I can fixer up myself. Just my .02 . Ride and have fun.

Thanks man. I guess that's the advice I'm really looking for. Haha!

zalez

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2012
I tried to save money by buying a used sled with a bit of damage. Hind sight, I should have ponied up the extra because I sunk another $1000 right of the bat. But the sled is still running strong for me and I'm a tad bit attached to it now lol.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Hi fax was completely worn through
pfft

Chain case was completely out of oil
Very well may have leaked out during the summer.

Speedo cable was broke. ( shows 2k miles but who knows really how many miles are on it)
If it was broke down by the tunnel - you have to keep going. The drive shaft bearing needs replaced yet too.

All lights but one were burned out
Likely doo to the V reg

Ignition switch was missing
Should have been obvious in the trailer

Voltage regulator was bad
Did you start the sled in the trailer?

Clutch was way out of balance
Clutch put together wrong?
Ramps worn out?
How does a clutch get "out of balance"?

Seized up tie rods (both of them)
???

Broken heim joints

2 torn motor mounts
NOW your into a bigger deal

Clutch needed rebuilt
Really the same as the "out of balance" issue above eh?
You get to count that twice?

Track is missing 3 lugs
That's it? :cheer2:

Shocks need rebuilt
This has GOT to be a Polaris thing!
My chumm with a Pol has done more shocks that Carter ever hoped to have liver pills! FWIW - The Walker Evens rear shock is the best thing since sliced bread for that sled!

The thing starts on the second pull every time, warm or cold, runs like a raped ape, and climbs like a billy goat.

That is a good sled! My chumm has had one since '02, and it's been a good sled. Too bad you didn;t hold out for an '03 and got the electric reverse... I rode it one full day for the first time last spring (when my Doo's rod bearing tied up) and couldn't believe how well it took the trail, but how bad it sucked at sidehilling compared to the narrower Summit.

Should I just suck it up, or should I look into my options? Need advice. Don't want to miss out on this season, especially now that I have been bitten by the bug.

Buyer beware eh? Driving on is the only real option aint it?

Again - I think those are a great sled!

V

villain

Nov 2, 2013
pfft

Very well may have leaked out during the summer.

If it was broke down by the tunnel - you have to keep going. The drive shaft bearing needs replaced yet too.

Likely doo to the V reg

Should have been obvious in the trailer

Did you start the sled in the trailer?

Clutch put together wrong?
Ramps worn out?
How does a clutch get "out of balance"?

???

Broken heim joints

NOW your into a bigger deal

Really the same as the "out of balance" issue above eh?
You get to count that twice?

That's it? :cheer2:

This has GOT to be a Polaris thing!
My chumm with a Pol has done more shocks that Carter ever hoped to have liver pills! FWIW - The Walker Evens rear shock is the best thing since sliced bread for that sled!

That is a good sled! My chumm has had one since '02, and it's been a good sled. Too bad you didn;t hold out for an '03 and got the electric reverse... I rode it one full day for the first time last spring (when my Doo's rod bearing tied up) and couldn't believe how well it took the trail, but how bad it sucked at sidehilling compared to the narrower Summit.

Buyer beware eh? Driving on is the only real option aint it?

Again - I think those are a great sled!

I Like your honesty! I think that's about where I'm at. I guess I shoulda asked more questions before I handed money over. Just excited to get a sled I guess. Haha! Live and learn!

T

T-Bone

Nov 11, 2005
Shelby, MT
I would probably fix the stuff you mentioned then ride it. At least when you get everything fixed you know what you've got, instead of selling the thing at a loss and then rolling the dice again on another used sled.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Yikes....well look on the bright side at all the stuff you are learning to fix and when you are finished you will have a decent sled to ride.

Guessing you will be a little wiser next time.

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
Hey man don't fret! most of what you describe are fairly easy fixes. And only missing 3 lugs! heck my wife's 2001 800 polaris is missing more than that!:face-icon-small-hap. I agree on the chain case oil I would suspect it leaked out over summer. I know A few guys who removed the key switches from the older polaris rmk's (something about trees hitting the switch and pulling the keys out....not sure I never have had a tree steal my keys when tree carving, had a few tree well's steal my sled but that's another story...:face-icon-small-ton)

So all in all as long as she runs good other wise Ride er out over the season then if possible turn her out for another unit next summer(and do yourself a favor if staying with an RMK buy a 700!) I would very much fix the motor mounts(which are usually broken on the 800's) and voltage regulator before riding it though!

Glad to see another rider come back to the sport hope you have a good season and good luck with your machine!

Premium Features