• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

both clutches seized... what the...?

07m1000, first run on new hyfax. Aligned and properly tightened track. Sled ran good on the trail. Third run up a step hill clutches s seized engaged fully at top of the hill. What the hell did I do. I'm assuming the clutches were dirty but been having weird rpms at idle for a while now. Funny thing when I took off the belt to get towed out, it idled perfect!

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
It sounds like you have a bad roller or a failing spider assembly in your drive clutch, which will cause it to stick closed, thereby sticking the secondary open as the belt is pulled by the primary.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Sounds like the classic broken spider. Time for a new primary most likely. Some times you can get them apart without damaging the towers that the buttons slide on. Unless you have the tools to get the clutch apart you will need to take your primary to a dealer. By the time you buy a spider ($160) and labor to change it you might as well buy a new primary. Then keep yours as a back up, change the spider when you can.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
On the secondary it is good to check the rollers and the moveable bushing. Other than that, the right helix spring combo is all you need and you are good to go.

I'm thinking replace both now and not have to worry plus have spare parts. Not real savvy on this stuff but I know stock clutches are not easily rebuilt. What's a good product or brand to research or combination that is bullet proof.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
You really don't have any options for the secondary. I would suggest the heavy duty sheaves from BDX. $300 I think. Then you use your rollers, helix and spring. Primary, you can spend up to $3000 on a primary. Just a new stock cat clutch will do the job. Hopefully you can get your weights out of yours now. Then just add a new spring and your good to go.

Premium Features