• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ECU recording of high engine Temp?

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
How is a high engine temp is recorded or shown on Budds? Is it temperature and time duration at that temperature?

Just curious as machine reached 74c on the weekend, shut down machine, covered cooler in snow & waited. After some time started machine to flow coolant , high temp alarm came on and noticed 89c on gauge, immediately shutoff machine. ( One could say, should of kept it running as cool water was enroute)
Anyhow wondering how this looks when plugged in, and could it ever have warranty implications should there be a failure down the road?

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
I believe they can pull a graph that shows temp and time duration. The dealer with the Budds can see a lot less than ski doo if they request the files. Doubt any damage was done however.

If possible always buzz saw into some fresh snow off the side of the trail with some gentle throttle while slowly tipping your sled up on edge to keep it stationary. You can drop coolant temp 2-3 bars in 30 seconds

J
Nov 25, 2019
How is a high engine temp is recorded or shown on Budds? Is it temperature and time duration at that temperature?

Just curious as machine reached 74c on the weekend, shut down machine, covered cooler in snow & waited. After some time started machine to flow coolant , high temp alarm came on and noticed 89c on gauge, immediately shutoff machine. ( One could say, should of kept it running as cool water was enroute)
Anyhow wondering how this looks when plugged in, and could it ever have warranty implications should there be a failure down the road?
Sled temps always spike after shutting your sled off especially if the temps were getting high before you shut the sled off. Manufacturers know that sleds will experience high engine temps that’s why they have the auto shut down for extreme engine temps. If you have a ton of engine shut downs due to high temp…I could see the manufacturer being hesitant to warranty your engine but not for a high temp warning.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
dude on another forum was denied warranty. his sled stopped on a pull so he brings it in and they find out one of the pistons is scuffed. buds revealed 3 high heat warnings.

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
I feel this will be common practice for manufactures.
The warranty game can be challenging for the consumer. For example you can add ‘BEST’ warranty anytime even without the snowmobile being verified of it’s current condition or past history. Then when warranty is required be quickly denied.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Isnt that the point of the sled having built in safety feature that shuts off when gets to hot. How can they deny warranty if sled is shut off at a safe temp?

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
i don't know all the specifics but i speculate that instead of cooling the engine down the sled was still used and got 3 critical overheat warnings. the manual puts it bluntly and simply says "do not run if condition persists". if that is ignored then the critical overheat warning happens as the temps climb further although the owner stated he never heard the first warning (4 short beeps every 30 sec) so if someone repeatedly lets the sled get that hot instead of handling the issue and later suffers heat related damage then it's not surprising that warranty would be denied. could also be that BRP is being unreasonable. dunno but the moral is don't tempt fate.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
Well my whole group of 10 probably voided all warranty on Wednesday as we could only go about 4 miles until the warning light come on. Back in 20 my 17 threw a rod and doo said it had about 10 mins of over rev on its lifetime. I am not sure what rpm is considered over rev but I am sure they can tell how many mins it ran hot for

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
the ecu probably records every little detail. i think the issue is when the second overheat warning happens and in particular how long it was run in that condition is what they look at and how many times this happens over the sled's lifetime.

Premium Features