• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker Turbo thread

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
T
Nov 26, 2007
I had my 08 tm8 out for it first ride friday and the bottom end is terrible on this thing any suggestions on where to start? I didnt get to ride lon enough to do any adjusting.

D
Feb 28, 2007
Palmer,AK
Was doing some WOT pulls on my sled the other day tuning it and it pulled great for a few seconds then it would cut out. The M-8 doesn't have a rev limiter does it? I was at lower altitude than normal so it was revving higher than it should. I want to find out if it does have a rev limiter before I start messing with fuel settings. If not I'm guessing it's just not getting enough fuel when the boost peaks.

D

DeepInTheTrees

Nov 26, 2007
Battle Ground, WA
Was doing some WOT pulls on my sled the other day tuning it and it pulled great for a few seconds then it would cut out. The M-8 doesn't have a rev limiter does it? I was at lower altitude than normal so it was revving higher than it should. I want to find out if it does have a rev limiter before I start messing with fuel settings. If not I'm guessing it's just not getting enough fuel when the boost peaks.

Is it when you are on full WOT or when you let off a little and get back in? They don't have a rev limiter that I know of, or at least I haven't had that problem. I did have some rich bog issues too that I dealt with. If it is in deep snow it could also be an exhaust bog, do you have a tunnel dump or side dump? Just some thoughts, might help...

07 Bd M10t Questions

HELLO EVERYONE I AM A NEW MEMBER OF SNOWEST FOURMS,AND BUILDING MY FIRST TURBO 2STROKE SLED AND I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS.1WHAT REEDS ARE YOU GUYS RUNNING OR WHATS WORKING THE BEST?.2WHAT CLUTCHING ARE YOU GUYS RUNNING? I AM JUST GOING OF WHAT THE BD GUYS SAID AND THAT IS 75G NOTCH WEIGHTS WITH A D&D PURPLE A WITH A WHITE STRIP AND STOCK SECONDARY SO FAR.RIDING 3000-6000 FEET AT 225 POUND RIDER?3 ARE YOU GUYS ADDING A ADDITIVE TO YOUR COOLENT FOR LOWER TEMPS?JUST GETTING STARTED WITH THE INSTAL AND NOT VERY HAPPY WITH BDs QC.I HAVE RUNMANY BIG BORE CATS AS WELL PSI AND CUTLER MOTORS OVER THE LAST 20 YEARS DECIDED TO GO BOOST!!! 5 OF MY RIDING BUDDYS WENT 4STROKE BOOST, NOT ME

D
Feb 28, 2007
Palmer,AK
Is it when you are on full WOT or when you let off a little and get back in? They don't have a rev limiter that I know of, or at least I haven't had that problem. I did have some rich bog issues too that I dealt with. If it is in deep snow it could also be an exhaust bog, do you have a tunnel dump or side dump? Just some thoughts, might help...

This is when I am at full WOT for a few seconds. It wasn't in deep powder but I have the side exit anyways. It sure seems like it's hitting a rev limiter the way it kicks cuts out slowly then picks right back up. I need to get it up higher in some deep snow to bring the rpms down a little and see if it still does it.

VOHK

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2006
Colorado
www.vohk.com
Our TM8s seem to prefer 8100-8300. I cannot over state how absolutely related clutching and mapping are, change one thing and mayhem. It seems peak rpms are far less important than how you get there. Tuning takes understanding, dedication, audacity and Patience. I am pleased to say that it is possible to get the runnability downright acceptable.

D

DeepInTheTrees

Nov 26, 2007
Battle Ground, WA
Our TM8s seem to prefer 8100-8300. I cannot over state how absolutely related clutching and mapping are, change one thing and mayhem. It seems peak rpms are far less important than how you get there. Tuning takes understanding, dedication, audacity and Patience. I am pleased to say that it is possible to get the runnability downright acceptable.

I am a student for sure! I appreciate the knowledge that you bring to the table. Keep up the excellent, informative posts! Dedication, Audacity, and paitience are easier than the understanding at times, it seems, but that is coming along with the other 3 virtues:).

Have you guys had any issues with cracked pipes?

H
Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
05 m7

just finished installing the bd kit on a buddies 05 M7, punched in the stock map numbers to get started. sled runs super rich, set the fuel pressure reg at the 43 psi target, no way it would run on that. the only way i had a hope in making it pull on the stand was to cut it way back on fuel pressure to about 20psi....any help on this would be appreciated.

VOHK

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2006
Colorado
www.vohk.com
Don't do that! You cannot tune on a stand. A turbo engine must have an appropriate load applied to effect boost and the heat and thus run into its mapping. No way to do that on a stand unless you have an engine brake (dyno).

D
Feb 28, 2007
Palmer,AK
D Edge - What RPM is it where it bogs at?

For that matter what is everyone running for max RPM on the M8T, what is a goal to shoot for with clutching?

I hit 8400 rpm during the pull and it cut out right about then. It rips awesome all the way up until then though. I'm going to try to bring the rpms down before I mess with the fuel mapping to see if that helps.

H
Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
Don't do that! You cannot tune on a stand. A turbo engine must have an appropriate load applied to effect boost and the heat and thus run into its mapping. No way to do that on a stand unless you have an engine brake (dyno).

sled had same effect on the snow as well...runs like sh*t....cuts out at wot like ignition prob at wot, and still having to crank down fuel pressure....

Nov 27, 2007
calgary
Had my o7 M8t out for the first time with BD box, sled ran great untill got into 2 ft of powder, then it took a a little bit of throttle control to get the turbo to spool from a stop. I think that the tunnel dump is hindeing me in the deep pow, i think I might need a side dump for the deep. The other issue is that I cant turn down my boost under 11 lbs. I have the new Tubo Smart controler and blow off valve. Other than these two issues I am very happy with the set up, I think my arms are about two inches longer though.

H
Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
Are you rich guys running the BD controller or the PL box??????

running a BD box on this m7, baseline setting from BD seem way rich, would smoke you right out, not idle or rev up for that matter with no load on it, couldnt take it to the hill the way it was for any testing...only way i could actually get it to idle or respond was to play with the fuel reg...

F
Nov 26, 2007
www.boondockers.com
You shouldn't have to adjust the fuel pressure just to get it to run. If it doesn't even idle right, then unplug the control box and test using just stock injectors - you could have a leak somewhere. If that works, plug in the control box and if you are using the Exhuast Valve feature, set ExV to OFF and see what happens. I also suggest you do the aux injector test (set fuel to 50, Btn to N2o, and when you jumper the button input it should flood the motor). You can also unplug or remove the aux. injectors and see what happens in case an injector is leaking (don't hold it on boost for more than a second).

H
Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
You shouldn't have to adjust the fuel pressure just to get it to run. If it doesn't even idle right, then unplug the control box and test using just stock injectors - you could have a leak somewhere. If that works, plug in the control box and if you are using the Exhuast Valve feature, set ExV to OFF and see what happens. I also suggest you do the aux injector test (set fuel to 50, Btn to N2o, and when you jumper the button input it should flood the motor). You can also unplug or remove the aux. injectors and see what happens in case an injector is leaking (don't hold it on boost for more than a second).

Thanks for the input, will definately try what you mentioned. did try with the box unplugged and the machine was responsive, will do the injector test next and see what i can find.

P

product tester

Nov 27, 2007
the new turbo smart blow off and boost controler work great if you want a minimum boost of 11# and have 40 #s of vacume , I have found on my controler if you turn ot up 2 notches it goes to 9 #S FROM 11#S AND IF YOU suck on the boost line from the blow off it will not open to tight of spring the 2 stroke only makes very minimal vacume so it needs to open when you suck on the boost line to the blow off . I wounder if bd tested these parts on a 2 stroke before they sent them out?

While riding today I was watching the boost gauge and it would go up to 10lbs for about 1-2 seconds and then drop to 8lbs. Is this normal? My airbox still doesn't fit 100% the way it should and I am wondering if it is losing boost or if my controller is setup for 8lbs and the wastegate has a slight delay before opening. I've got the boost controller setup on the first full click. The elevation was at 4500 feet when I was watching this.

Premium Features