• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker Turbo Problems?

R

rmk685

Dec 4, 2007
I am having a issue with high egts at a consistent 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. If I hold the throttle constant for a couple hundred feet my egts will instantly spike to 1300. I am sure they will keep rising but never tried it holding it longer. I had the same problem last year and thought this new update would fix the problem, but not the case. I have tried raising my fuel numbers and it dont seem to make a bit of difference. Its a real pain to be constantly blurping the throttle to keep her running cooler. Any ideas?

Also with the new update i am having problems with the check engine light. I assume this is DET? Just got the sled back from updates and even just a quick throttle blurp and it will cut out. This is at 1700 feet with 7 gallons 110 and 3 gallons of 91. Tried running several different sets of fuel numbers, but it seems to be a problem no matter what.

Leaving in two days for cooke and would like to get things figured out. If all goes good i plan on having the polaris dealer in coooke flashing it back to the 09 map for me.

R

rmk685

Dec 4, 2007
Clutching is set at boondockers specs. My issues are non-clutching related.

skyman

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2008
egt's

Mine is hot on the trail also but in the snow with a load on the motor and at 10# of boost egt's are at mid to high 12's at wide open throttle.

1badcowboy

Oct 26, 2008
Elko NV
a friend of mine runs the same kit as you i called him and he said his did the same **** last season he said somewher on snowest a guy used 2 gal of C12 and the rest 91 and it fixed the problem. seems alot of people are having probs with bd turbo kits i helped a guy on the mountain today mess with his bd set up it also is doing the stuff yours is but we ride at 9000ft and above he is going to try the C12 and the rest 91 tomorow and i will let you know how it works out for him. for your egts to be that hot your bound to have a melt down. im sure and so is he that it is a fuel prob

R

rmk685

Dec 4, 2007
I was told by boondockers last year to try and not run it over 1300. I am going to try and run 90% pump gas in cooke this coming week and see if that helps. I have always ran 50/50 up high and about 75% race fuel down low(1700 feet). I am also going to change fuel filter just as precaution.

Also it dont matter if i am running down the trail or in bottomless powder it will get hot if i hold it a constant throttle.

Any other ideas out there for my problems?

Thanks for comments so far.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I have tried raising my fuel numbers and it dont seem to make a bit of difference. Its a real pain to be constantly blurping the throttle to keep her running cooler. Any ideas?

have you checked your plugs or wash? good chance you need to go the other way and take fuel away from it. You will get a false reading if there is too much fuel being dumped in it. EGT's, A/F gauge.. it doesnt matter, you will get a false reading if it is rich.

R

rmk685

Dec 4, 2007
Plugs looked good. Nice golden brown. Wash also looked good.

How about the voltage regulator could that be causing a problem?

ridgeclimber

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Maple Ridge B.C.
turbo problem

What #'s are you running? Take a close look at your throttle body boot. I was reading that they are known to blow out. I put an aluminum plate over mine to help prevent that. I am guessing that your to lean. I run 2 gallons of c12 and the rest 94 octane premium. I have had it at 10.7 psi boost and the egt's are about 1275 to 1300. Also is your ecm wiring harness wires plugged in?

jethro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 7, 2008
Emmett Id.
Was having same problems with new updates ..Had ecu reflashed to 2009 specs ..Its all good now rode yesterday ran perfect no problems at all.Good Luck

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
why are you running a turbo at 1/2 or 1/4 throttle? you should be constantly blipping the throttle. the midrange will be lean.

D
Feb 12, 2009
Kemmerer, WY
I just had my first ride and have the same problems it seems about everyone else has. Mine is a 09 D8 with the mini-intercooler PG kit riding from 7,500 to 10k. Ran about 10 miles pretty strong then started to de rate with check engine light flashing. Shut it down for 5 minutes and started it back up and it went another 15 miles before the same thing happened, at that point it was time to head back for the truck- this don't cut it in the back country. I have a couple questions. 1) which 09 map should you reflash back to?(I thought I read there were a couple from last year. 2) on the Boondocker controller I get a N2O:FIX message? Is this also related to the updates? 3) which fuel numbers should I be using after reflash?? My friend I was riding with has an 08 D8 with last years PG kit without intercooler and was having the exact problems I was having. Thanks in advance, pretty frustrating for all of us.

D
Nov 26, 2007

are the new 2010 sleds that are turbo'd having this issue 2 or is it just the updated 09/08 sleds or should i have last years 09 program loaded in to ecu before heading out

got 2 2010 sleds turbo'd waiting for ebc's to show

L
Oct 4, 2008
i am running mine for the first time here in cooke first run today i am running 6.5 lbs of boost i have all the EBC settingat 0's and the control box psi is at
#'s at low= 39 mid=50 hi=63 ran great all day with 30% race gas ran flawles all day i will start playing with the EBC tommorrow and will let everyone know what i come up with

reading inthispost someone was comming out here and could not get the setting to work i had the same problem at home i ran psi's at low=15 mid=20 high=30 at 900 ft to get it to run right in MN

B

bin sledin

Dec 9, 2007
crabrook b.c
i had same problem with my08 shift with a garret turbo when i ran strait vp 111 . went to 50/50 it got better then i tried 3 parts pump gas 1 part vp and it really helped with my egt it was a consistsnt 1200 im told te higher you go in altitude the cooler race fuel burns wich results in poor performance. its just easier to mix the fuel than to rejet and the race gas goes way farther:D

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'd suggest having the ECU reflashed to the 2009 map.

The 2010 map, IMO, is not ideal for turbo applications... the 2009 map is not perfect (especially for a naturally aspirated sled expected to pass EPA considerations)...but it seems to be more compatible with the turbos on these 800 CFi's

I suggested that JKinzer go this route last month... seems to have cleared up the same problems that reared thier heads with the turbo install.

Last edited:

jethro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 7, 2008
Emmett Id.
Yes

I agree latest 09 update ...Carls cycle in Boise Id . reflashed mine I run 3 gal sunnoco 110 per tank and nonethonol fuel /5-9 lbs boost at anywhere from 5000-8500ft fuel numbers may vary ..check plugs often and wash i am running an a/f gauge but i still check each ride .... My 2010 flash flooded the sled when hot and det sensor went off at the drop of a hat ,i have 200 miles since 09 reflash will not go back to 2010 did not work for me ..I'll let the smarter guys figure it out while i'm out riding.

Premium Features