• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bogging on 2020s

Beetfarmer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2008
Idaho
Here is per the service manual...sure is pointing to the rpm range where people are having issues.

These models are equipped with the Exhaust Controlled Timing (ECT) system utilizing an exhaust pipe temperature sensor. NOTE: The engine has a three-stage exhaust valve system. The stages are closed, mid-open, and full-open. These models have a designated RPM of 4500 at which the system is synchronized and checked by the ECM for proper operation occurring once each time the engine is started. This system automatically adjusts the ignition timing to provide maximum performance through a variety of operating conditions. The ECM receives input on engine RPM (demand) and exhaust temperature (engine condition) and adjusts the ignition timing accordingly. This system is not adjustable and is maintenance free. If a system fault is suspected, use an ohmmeter to check continuity of the exhaust pipe temperature sensor located in the expansion chamber. A reading of either 0 ohm or infinity indicates a failed sensor. A reading at room temperature should be between 200-220 ohms. NOTE: A disabled ECT system WILL NOT cause engine damage; however, a failed ECT system will have slower throttle response and may produce slightly less top-end performance.
Checked my exhaust sensor and it was bad. Replaced it with a new GM sensor and exhaust temps are fine now ,but i still have the annoying bog. Any ideas? Talked to my dealer and they now have 4 sleds there with the same issue and can’t figure it out.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Checked my exhaust sensor and it was bad. Replaced it with a new GM sensor and exhaust temps are fine now ,but i still have the annoying bog. Any ideas? Talked to my dealer and they now have 4 sleds there with the same issue and can’t figure it out.
Has the dealer tried changing injectors? They should at minimum try a set on one of the sleds and if it works you pay for the work if not they switch them back. Another thought is fuel are you using non ethanol fuel ? I am starting to run out of ideas!!!!!!!

Beetfarmer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2008
Idaho
Has the dealer tried changing injectors? They should at minimum try a set on one of the sleds and if it works you pay for the work if not they switch them back. Another thought is fuel are you using non ethanol fuel ? I am starting to run out of ideas!!!!!!!
They are waiting for injectors to try a sled to see if that works. I never run ethanol fuel in anything i have cars and trucks included. I,m thinking of swamping ecu with my son’s 2019 that runs flawless and see if that changes anything. Do you know if the mapping is the same between 19 and 20?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
They are waiting for injectors to try a sled to see if that works. I never run ethanol fuel in anything i have cars and trucks included. I,m thinking of swamping ecu with my son’s 2019 that runs flawless and see if that changes anything. Do you know if the mapping is the same between 19 and 20?
Different engines, i can't believe it would work.
The 19 ecm would try to squirt fuel through the skirt on ur piston and that wouldn't work to well.

Sent it

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have put 2 cans of Seafoam through my sled now and I will say the low end ping/missing/bog from clutch engagement up to maybe 6,200 RPM sometimes has improved slightly (maybe 15% better) but, it's still there. I did have a couple of clues that it may be too much fuel at that RPM range. I had a loud backfire when I started the sled after riding in that range for a period of time. I also had a heck of time getting it started one other time after descending a steep hill. It would barely start, have a very weak idle and then slowly stall. It took some time to get it started but, it seemed to run fine afterward. After that RPM range the sled runs great.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
My 2019 has started to bog in the rpm range talked about here.
It only does it when the pipe and water temp isn't fully up to operating temp.
I've never had it bog after a couple minutes of riding after stoping for bit.
Makes me think it's a sensor or programming problem??

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
They are different engines but the 20 injector in moved to the transfer port so if may actually work. The squirt for the skirt would just be extra fuel which only happened at higher RPM on the 19 if I remember it was around 6000. Either way if you have a good running 20 that may or may not work I believe the injectors trim code needs to be added to the ECM. Electronics can be fussy. I would still try it and see how things work out.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I ordered a coolant temp sensor to try and it came in but, I don't see it on any of the parts breakdowns.

Where is it located on the engine, coolant line, thermostat?

Beetfarmer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2008
Idaho
I ordered a coolant temp sensor to try and it came in but, I don't see it on any of the parts breakdowns.

Where is it located on the engine, coolant line, thermostat?
It’s on the bottom of the motor. You have to drill out the rivets on the aluminum skid plate and take off the small triangle aluminum plate that has torx srews in it. there are 2 rivets that are under plastic on both sides i drilled through plastic insteaded of removing bottom side panels.

S
Dec 8, 2015
Having this same issue from new on my 2021 hardcore. Has anyone come up with anything yet? Tried new plugs and unplugged tss. EV are witching spec at 36mm. Getting annoying after 470 miles

Beetfarmer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2008
Idaho
Finally got around to trying my buddies 2020 ecu on my sled today and It didn’t solve the mid range bog. My dealer did get a set of new injectors they tried and that didn’t solve the issue either. I‘m at a loss what to try next. Hopefully my 2022 hardcore doesn’t have the same issue if it ever shows up.

Beetfarmer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2008
Idaho
Yep put new v force reeds in last year when I put the bikeman stage1 kit. I had the same issue before I put the kit on. I also did the torque link . My next step is to play with the fuel mapping in the zone I’m having issues with.

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Anyone know if this service bulletin is an ecu flash. I picked up a 2021 riot x and it has the same issue. My 19 alpha was smooth as butter.

Screenshot_20211224-071753_Chrome.jpg

roughriders

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Yep put new v force reeds in last year when I put the bikeman stage1 kit. I had the same issue before I put the kit on. I also did the torque link . My next step is to play with the fuel mapping in the zone I’m having issues with.
you try anything else or trade it off on the 22?

Premium Features