• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blowing through recoils!

D
Mar 23, 2010
Boulder, CO
Orignal lasted 3 years or 1300 miles, no issues. I wasn't surprised when it needed replacement a month ago.

Put the nw one in, and it striped out on the second day, It probably got a dozen starts out of it.

Replaced it again, and got 4 days out of it.

It is just the little pawl that engages the flywheel that wears out. I think maybe they dont fully extend, then get chewed off. I dont think theres anything wring with the flywheel; All the notches were it can engage look normal.

Did I just get two lemons? I see no way to think it could be getting installed wrong; it just bolts on snug, with nothing to adjust.

Seems this piece should be metal.

Is there a rebuild kit worth trying? Is there an upgraded version?

Part was $150. Dealer quoted $280 for install, but it didnt even take an hour to leisurely DIY

Thanks, Dave

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
funny you say that. I had my sons replaced in west Yellowstone last week and the next day it quit again. same deal it chewed the pawl off. haven't used it since hopefully this new one will be fine. they charged me $204 parts and labor and changed the defective one out at no charge. he actually made a mechanic stay after closing to change mine out as we were leaving for home that evening. mine is a 2017

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
I just put a new recoil in mine yesterday due to the knot coming undone on the handle. Sure hope I didn't get one of the lemons. I found it pretty much impossible to start using the emergency rope (mine's a '17 so no SHOT).

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
that is the exact reason I had to put a new one on. had the sled at the dealer for unrelated service and the mechanic broke the handle with his knee so they put a new habdle on. took it out west right away and the first morning it came untied. my poor kid had to start it off the clutch for 2 days before we took it in. what a PIA to start it in 3' of fresh and put the clutch cover back on 12 times a day

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
That would seriously diminish the fun. I would never turn it off if I had that issue on a trip. And how did the mechanic break the handle with his knee? Testing repairs on customer sleds by hucking cliffs?

D
Mar 23, 2010
Boulder, CO
Mine doesn't have the emergency pull cord.

I found a one inch cam strap wrapped about three times did it first try, if you had a clean wrap.

Do one wrap by looping it under, then roll it backwards to get more wraps. Careful its hot.

I rode without my tether, and only turned it off a few times, which I hate. I do enjoy the quiet moments between blasting throttle.

I will buy tow of these tomorrow and hope I get a good one.

BRP customer service denies knowledge of any issue with the recoils. Also claims only dealer installed parts are ever warrantied.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I had the knot come undone on my 17 last winter at the end of the day. Got back to the cabin and took it apart, redone the rope put it back together never had another problem.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
I had the knot come undone on my 17 last winter at the end of the day. Got back to the cabin and took it apart, redone the rope put it back together never had another problem.
You're a better wrencher than me! I couldn't even figure out how to start it with the emergency rope. It was easy on the older TRA clutches. On the G4, the surface area to wrap the cord on is so small and the compression is high. I couldn't get it to spin fast enough without slipping. And I figured the recoil had probably used up most of its life already, as my sled has 2500+ miles. All my other Doos went through more than 1 recoil while I had them.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
You're a better wrencher than me! I couldn't even figure out how to start it with the emergency rope. It was easy on the older TRA clutches. On the G4, the surface area to wrap the cord on is so small and the compression is high. I couldn't get it to spin fast enough without slipping. And I figured the recoil had probably used up most of its life already, as my sled has 2500+ miles. All my other Doos went through more than 1 recoil while I had them.
Like I said it was the end of the day. When I pulled to start it, it turned over and started as I stood there with the handle in my hand. Lol

julians

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2010
Park City Ut
My hold over 19 850 recoil just went out at 400 miles. I bought a handle and attached it to the piece of rope that came with the sled to make it easier to start off the clutch until I could get it in. Dealer just installed the new recoil so we'll see how long it lasts. 1900 miles on my 17 850 with no recoil issues.

D
Mar 23, 2010
Boulder, CO
I am on two weekends now with the third recoil.

I thought I felt it slip a few times, hopefully it isn't already on its way out.

One theory is that the mountain can puts too much heat off right next to it, and burns off the grease.

I put fiberglass insulation over the record and heat taped over that compartment, I wish I'd done that right when it went in.

Any more failures out there this week?

Gremon

Lifetime Membership
Apr 29, 2011
Colorado
I lost the recoil on my 17 with just over 1000 miles on it last weekend. It’s at the dealership under warranty right now.

SODAK-DOO

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2015
eastern south dakota
just dealt with this issue a week ago in colorado where mine would not engage the flywheel to start it. Had the tools along so i was able to take the recoil off, which is easy other than the two screws behind the bulk head. to me it looked way over greased, so i cleaned it up a bit then called my dealer and asked them about it, and they said they have seen where aftermarket cans create enough heat to damage them. luckily i had a roll of heat tape in the trailer and put that on the recoil cover and no problems since.

Premium Features