• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

black hills snowmobile trail ???

N

nytro4

Mar 13, 2011
Southern mn
Does anyone know if there is a trail or fireroad that goes from spearfish canyon lodge across to recreational springs resort? Looking at the trail map it looks like a trail starts in spearfish and goes to spearfish canyon lodge and then towards rec springs, but isnt real clear on map, I was hoping someone might be able to answer this question Thanks

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
Get a hold of Duane on here (call sign sdsnocop) and he will be able to answer your question. He is a great asset to this forum and helping fellow riders.

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
Does anyone know if there is a trail or fireroad that goes from spearfish canyon lodge across to recreational springs resort? Looking at the trail map it looks like a trail starts in spearfish and goes to spearfish canyon lodge and then towards rec springs, but isnt real clear on map, I was hoping someone might be able to answer this question Thanks

Yeah we rode out of Spearfish canyon to rec springs this year

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Trail

Duane would know a lot more about this. There is a trail that goes up over the top called " Breakneck" I think. It's between the lodge and the Falls on trail 4. It used to be a snowmobile trail years ago but it is closed now. Black Hills Trails has been looking for a way to get from the Lodge to Rec. for a long time. I remember going over there with some of the trail people and trying to figure it out a couple times. It has been a dream trail for a long time that may never materialize. There is just way too much private property around there to weave a trail around. A lot of the land owners around there are not overly snowmobile or ATV friendly. Hwy 85 crossings are also a problem. I think it is possible but way more problems than it is worth. The Black Hills used to be very open to ATVs but the "greenies" have won a few victories out there in the last few years.

Last edited:

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
The reason there is not a trail linking Spearfish canyon directly to Rec Springs is the same reason there is no trail into Cheyenne Crossing. The terrain does not allow it. There are very few places you can get from the from the high rim of spearfish canyon down into the canyon from either side. Climbing out of spearfish canyon once you cross the highway and the creek is not even possible by foot without climbing ropes. If you go further East approx. 3 miles towards Cheyenne Crossing I have heard their is a way up along Anne Creek but getting there is almost impossible unless you ride the highway. There are no good ditches and both sides of the highway are full of private cabins. I have heard the Anne Creek route is very steep and crosses a lot of private land. The route Firetrail is referring to is Breakneck Gulch. It is a steep narrow path leading out of Spearfish canyon near the resort and ends up on the East side rim above Cheyenne Crossing. I am not aware of anyway to drop back into Cheyenne crossing from that location. I have known of of few that have tried but failed. The reason the Trail runs from Spearfish Canyon up to the Oneil Pass area and then backtrack to Rec Springs is to avoid both Spearfish Canyon and Icebox Canyon which runs from Cheyenne Crossing on Hwy 85 to Oneil Pass by Trailshead.

N

nytro4

Mar 13, 2011
Southern mn
blackhills

Thanks for all the info guys, I havnt been snowmobiling in the hills for about 5 years and this upcoming winter a friend and myself are bringing our sons out for a week and we are just looking for a place to stay that gives us easy access to a bunch of trails so we dont always have to ride the same trail back and forth from whereever we stay, would like a place where we can go in different directions every day, Think Snow

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Thanks for all the info guys, I havnt been snowmobiling in the hills for about 5 years and this upcoming winter a friend and myself are bringing our sons out for a week and we are just looking for a place to stay that gives us easy access to a bunch of trails so we dont always have to ride the same trail back and forth from whereever we stay, would like a place where we can go in different directions every day, Think Snow

The only location that would be possible is Trailshead Lodge.

Premium Features