• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Conditions 1

S
Nov 24, 2015
I rode yesterday and we managed to find some pretty good spots. Which there are very few of. Most places were right on tree lines or along some of the ditches. The snow is out there, just gotta go slow and look for it. Stay away from terry peak area also. Trail is minimal and snow is sparse.

S
Nov 24, 2015
2-3 inches fell this morning in the northern hills. Just enough of a dusting to keep the snow fresh. Tapering off now. Hopefully we get another shot later in the week.

catsleder162

Lifetime Membership
Oct 26, 2009
Black Hills SD
I wouldn't try it! The snow is pretty dismal. Drove up on Monday went up Aztec to check out rec springs. Trails are dirty looking. Looks to me like a whole bunch of sled damage or overheating if you have a mountain sled and go off trail. I wouldn't be too concerned if I had a fan cooled or rental and planned on trail riding all day. This is a very poor start to our season in the hills! I'm pretty antsy to get out there but not at the expense of harming my sled for less than good riding! :frusty:

M
Dec 25, 2015
Can you update me before you go to bed tonight? A buddy and myself were going to make a day trip tomorrow morning. Don't want to waste a 3 hour one way drive! Thanks

catsleder162

Lifetime Membership
Oct 26, 2009
Black Hills SD
I'm not sure what lead got but we got probably 4 or 5 inches of really sugary snow in spearfish. Looks tempting but probably still not worth a ride. I guess I don't know for sure

X
Jan 1, 2011
ND
Ended up making it here safe. We have not rode yet but there are a ton of sleds and trailers filling the parking lot at spearfish canyon resort. I will do an update with pictures tomorrow as it was dark when we arrived.

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Before I go digging. Is there a regulation to how old riders need to be in SD? 7 year old daughter just got a Indy Lite. I would like to bring her out and putz around on the trails.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
Sounds like by the end of day Tuesday you will have a lot more snow than the hills. Not a good start for out there as all the storms seem to be hitting the SE part.

As far as your daughter goes, no age limit to ride the trails but when she comes to a road crossing you will need to drive her across. My kids have been riding on their own out there since they were 9-10 years old with no issues. There's been more than a handful of times I've had young Sno-X wannabe's come zipping around a corner on the wrong side, that's probably my biggest fear is those that don't use their heads and think of what's coming around the corner or on the other side of the hill.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
The snow over here can end any time! Maybe I could try her on the trails here first a bit. My fear is culverts and crap like that.

She's not ready for snow X quit yet. She did dump the neighbor boy off the back though.

Thanks for the info Jeff.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
Wouldn't be a bad idea to get her "trail trained" before hitting the busy trails out in the Hills. If you can keep her between the chevrons it should be a nice/safe going around the culverts and other hazards.

When you thinking of going out?

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
Spearfish Canyon Lodge today and stayed kind of north. Trails not too bad in this area. Off trail sketchy as to be expected. Best stuff is if you can find a Forest Service Road that hasn't had traffic yet. That was kind of fun. Good time to explore roads and find new play areas. Happy New Year and safe travels.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
When you thinking of going out?

No idea. Be nice if they got some more snow. I just thought a day at the water park in Rapid. Another day or two riding. More of get away and have some fun.

Big boys. Hoping to go somewhere next week.

SDPowderRider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2010
Central SD
We rode out of Rec Springs area on Saturday. Four of us put 70 miles on mostly back country and bit of trails. My observations are: Trails are fair condition for what the guys are working with. Some gravel spots in center of trails and rough out of the lodges (Rec Springs-Trailshead). Off trail is travel at own risk. Hay meadows that I know are stump free have 10-15 inches of dry powder with a minimal base. You ride on the ground but have powder coming over the hood. If off trail, I recommend LOW LOW speeds. You will hit rocks and stumps! Low speeds do minimize the damages. We had no damage on our four sleds off trail. As others have posted, old logging roads and hunting trails are the best if untouched. Run them to the end. My 2 cents worth. Be back on Jan 8-9. JM

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
Trails are turning to snirt

Rode out of the Gulch today to trails head and on to latchstring. The trails are snow covered with rocks exposed in some area. The trails have minimal snow and are starting to show dirt. Rode 150 miles today and as said find old fire roads. Fire roads were fun but had no base.

Premium Features