• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best way to go 12 pro800 cylinder replacement

Tonight we had a bore scope down the spark plug holes on my 2012 pro 800 , crap if I don't have a long scratch in the right side cylinder. I see the hone marks up to the scratch then they disappear ! No Sighn of flaking nicasill so I gues its time to consider my options.
_ find new tear off cylinder block and Pistons from a 13 or newer sled some one done a big bore kit to?
-12 and earlier cylinders are prone to having the tabs break off so why not machine cases to accept newer cylinder ? How much might that cost?
-I was going to put in new Pistons of some sort but now what's logical ? I know 2013 cranks are better but I have to stop at some point short of a new motor.
I am looking for logical order of progression here from those that have been through this

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
Indy Dan top end kit?
Does he deal with the 12 cylinder or update to more newer model? I know he likes to use Polaris Pistons and I thought about rk tek Pistons as my choice of replacements

2nd Indy Dan. He reinforces skirts plus 3 year warranty. How many miles on sled. May want to do crank bearings also.

indy specialtys says they dont worrie about little scratches to much but if the cylinder does need a replate they gusset the tabs to strengthen them up while their dealing with it.
a good point made was possibly one of the tabs is cracked or starting to break off and released a chunk of something that put the scratch in the cylinder.
at 4000 miles its time to have a look if the tabs are spreading or breaking and while im at it why not replace the pto bearing?
at the moment it runs so good without piston slap or rattles , im torn but being cheap never saved me any money.

D

duece1

Oct 26, 2008
I just received a top end exchange kit from Indy Specialties yesterday for my 12 pro. Looks great! You can opt for the stock form or the gusseted form. Both with the premium HG7 finish. Went with '15' Oem pistons, the newer axis pistons have some extra oil grooves cut in them but are quite a bit more money. As stated check your cylinder over good for cracks.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
You're due for new pistons. Tear it down and look it over. A little scratch is nothing, don't sweat it. Could be from numerous things as simple as getting water/debris in the intake. If you're gonna enter a grass drags with it or something, get the cylinders honed or replaced. Otherwise, just ride it.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
You can also check the part # on the end of the pto shaft to see what crank you have in it. Some of the 12s came with the good fugi crank. If it has the mape crank in it I would look at replacing it or having it rebuilt. I did the Bikeman fix kit in my 12 and I lucked out and had the good Fuji crank in mine so I didn't touch the bottom end.

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
Yes just pull the clutch off and it will say mape on the end. Also Fuji's have a grey coating on the rods, Mape's have a golden/brown color. Honestly I have not had any issues with mapes, but I have rebuilt them (mainly PTO and Mag bearings, sometimes middle gear) before putting big amounts of miles on them.

What I have in my IQR is 13+ cylinders (3022449) in 2012 cases bore with very, very tight clearances between the cylinder and cases. I actually have a complete engine I will probably list (built as a spare for my Pro, then picked up a Carl's 900) its 2011 cases, and 13+ cylinders that will work in 2012+ sleds, and possibly 11's with the correct injector o-ring setup.

If your down to take the engine out, its not a huge deal to jump up to the 13+ cylinders and check the crank at the same time.

I personally have reman 2013+ 3022449 Cylinders for sale if your looking. $600.00 no core.

That being said like Tuneman up there mentioned a little scrape isn't the end of the world. If you could see some of the cylinders I ran when younger and broke, haha.

I don't know the history of this machine but it's reading 4000 miles, I was thinking originally of throwing in a set of Rktek drop in replacement Pistons so I would get to check for cracked cylinder tabs and have some comfort knowing I used due dilligance.
Is the pto bearing a sore spot like my 04 vertical escape? What's acceptable run out on the crank? Is replacing the pto bearing helpful in extending crank life?

how does it go fitting 13 cylinders on to 12 cases? measure the outer diameter of the tabs and ask my machinist to punch out the holes in the cases to that exact size ? i can see location is everything being these cylinders are monoblock... how critical is tight clearance at the cyl to case location?
can anyone recommend an economical place to pick up a pair of rktek pistons for such a frugal gentleman as myself- { my auto parts guy's way of calling me cheap}

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
its not a big deal to have the upper case machined out, i just took the upper case half to my machine shop with a 2013 base gasket and had them match it to that. as far as pistons a kow milage set of 13 or newer stock pistons would be fine , there is no place to get rkt pistons is for rkt, unless a shop has some in stock .

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
I got a set of polaris OEM with less than 200 miles with rings and pin. Just need new circlips. Part # is 2205176. $150 shipped if you want them pm me.

Last edited:

bigchevrolet

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
northern mn
Indy Specialties top end kit.

x382

Just ran mine for the first time with an ID fresh top end and it is going to be a very strong little motor. I previously had a slp stage 4 and went back to stock and wow does this thing work well. Terrible over rev with the stock weights! GRanted this is with the longrod crank too but I'm assuming the top end kit would by a nice gain as well

Premium Features