• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Used Axys?

SlopeLife88

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 9, 2020
Boise
I know that this has been picked to death but searching for this information is a nightmare. I am a seasoned rider but have been out of the game for a few years while i went back to school. Looking to get back into the sport but am so out of touch with the what has been going on since about 2013. Are the 800's in the Axys better than the 800 in the Pro? What is wrong with the 850? Really what I am looking for is the year model that i can re-valve shocks, add a pipe and can, and re-cluch and does not require a tone of $$$$ to keep the engine from exploding and make it handle the way it should have from the factory. We all know that there are year models with engine reliability issues so what year were they fixed? I am okay with building over time and willing to do improvements eventually like replacing weak A-arms with stronger parts but just don't want a machine that i have to put thousands into it just to make it a legitimate machine. Thanks all for the help in advance..

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Evolution of the 800 Axys. From the introduction, they were pretty solid and reliable.
2016-2017 Axys 800 are good sleds.
2018 Axys 800 good sled. Updated thermostat opens at 99 vs 120 degrees, runs cooler. Updated EGT sensor (better longevity)
2019-20 Axys 800 React 36" front end (from 39")

Axys 850
2019 850 plagued with engine production problems many were fixed/ updated under warranty, React 36" front end
2020 850 engine updates to resolve problems of 2019 motors, Khaos geometry introduced (Khaos geometry CAN be retrofitted to 2016-newer 800,850s)

With the exception of a non-updated 2019 850 engine, you can't go wrong with any of these choices. I would let the "deal" determine which way you go.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I have a 2017 800 axys for sale, great deal runs strong, already has a pipe and a few other nice extras at a great deal. In the sleds for sale section. they are great sleds for a lot less than newer ones. Going to cost me 2.5x what I sell this one for to go 4 years newer.

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
We've had good luck with the 800 Axys motors. Did have one crank failure out of about 5 sleds. They are probably as good as any of the 800's....stay away from the '19 850's. Probably the best change you can make to an Axys is narrowing the ski's a couple inches like the '19 and newer sleds. Buying the spindles that do that is well worth the money if it's the older front end.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
My 19 has been my best Polaris to date, and I 've owned 8 of them. Only been to the dealer for flash updates and they were only done to improve how it ran and I wasn't even disappointed with the original flash. I would definitely not be scared of a 2019.

Premium Features