• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Tow Point for Matryx

B
Dec 13, 2022
Montana
Does anyone have any experience towing a blown or broken sled out with a Matryx Slash?

I was in a riding group last week where a friends Matryx burned a piston on the trail just a few miles from the trucks. The group was able to hook it up to a Gen 4 Ski-Doo and pull it home but we chose not to use any of the Matryxs in the group for fear of bending a tunnel or bumper.

Does anyone know the best points to tow off to avoid damaging your own sled? My thought was towing off the back of the running board, but even that seems a bit risky.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Does anyone have any experience towing a blown or broken sled out with a Matryx Slash?

I was in a riding group last week where a friends Matryx burned a piston on the trail just a few miles from the trucks. The group was able to hook it up to a Gen 4 Ski-Doo and pull it home but we chose not to use any of the Matryxs in the group for fear of bending a tunnel or bumper.

Does anyone know the best points to tow off to avoid damaging your own sled? My thought was towing off the back of the running board, but even that seems a bit risky.
Backwoods bmp bumper is a good towing platform.

I can’t imagine running the oem polaris bumper on a matryx.

They are paper mache.

(Bumper and tunnel)

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA

That's why you always need one Ski Doo in the group. Polaris can hardly run itself without blowing up. Don't want to be adding another sled's weight to the equation!

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
I have towed many over the years, I run a rope though the bumper and the tunnel and tie off to each running board where it attaches to the tunnel. Then to this length of rope tie a single rope back to the sled being towed. I carry a couple 5-6’ long pull straps I use for getting out stuck sleds, so I tie these to each spindle of towed sled and up to single rope. The single tow rope I carry is 30’ long or so and its mountain climbing rope so it can be 1/4” to 5/16” and have 1200-1500 lbs strength and not take up much room. Longer rope keeps towed sled back so buddy is not getting pelted with snow. Really is no pressure on back of tunnel with this set up.
And for the record the count is way higher towing out doo doos than Polaris.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I have towed many over the years, I run a rope though the bumper and the tunnel and tie off to each running board where it attaches to the tunnel. Then to this length of rope tie a single rope back to the sled being towed. I carry a couple 5-6’ long pull straps I use for getting out stuck sleds, so I tie these to each spindle of towed sled and up to single rope. The single tow rope I carry is 30’ long or so and its mountain climbing rope so it can be 1/4” to 5/16” and have 1200-1500 lbs strength and not take up much room. Longer rope keeps towed sled back so buddy is not getting pelted with snow. Really is no pressure on back of tunnel with this set up.
And for the record the count is way higher towing out doo doos than Polaris.
That only works downhill or flat / packed snow.

I basically tie the ski loops both as close as possible to each side of the rear bumper. (2 separate ropes / straps pulling the ski’s way in)

No rider on the towed sled.
No belt on towed sled.
Roll up sled in the trailer for under the track if you need to get up some climbs.

Sled follows along behind even when climbing wfo. (Within reason)

Towed out many zx doo’s, rev’s and 11-15 pro rmks this way.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
True Polaris owners should call the heli. It’s how you retain friendships and not waste multiple day(s) on recovery missions.
Ha my buddy actually got State Farm to pay for the heli.

Sunk in Creek motor full of water.

Totalled the sled, bought it back.

Disassembled the motor and reassembled it.

Ran it 200 more miles.

Siezed it solid.

Then got a new motor under warranty.

Guy has a golden tongue.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
We towed a Pro out that blew the lower pulley bolt off for 12 miles. Had a 165 Ski Doo to tow with fortunately as we had some deeper snow and some hills to climb. On the downhill runs we tied off the back of the sled to the front of mine to act as a brake. Sucked, but got it out in one piece.
I use this piece of fuel filler hose (has a spiral wire molded into the rubber to stiffen it) to act as a coupler. I just store my rope inside the tube in my underseat bag to minimize storage space. Feed the rope through making a couple figure-8's inside the tube and tie off tight. If towing with a Poo I'll do a few 8's, then run the rope up to the board support arm. On smooth trail conditions this can be done off the ski loop to spindle but on narrow trails it is best to rig it to follow directly behind the tug sled. Likely will never be tested on a Matryx bumper.

20160204_115820.jpg

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
The best way I’ve done it is to tie the right ski loop tight to the very back of the left running board. Or switch sides. No slack at all. Sleds have no way to bang together uphill or Downhill. Won’t work on tight single track but everywhere else it’s good. No rider or belt on pulled sled

Premium Features