• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best place to snowmobile in the entire minnesota??

I
Jul 26, 2010
Rogers, MN
This winter, me and my dad are going at least to the alexandria area to snowmobile (which is one of the places i went last year), and most likely i'll be going to Middle of St. Louis Co. (North of Duluth) but we also want to go to some other places too, so I've got some ideas like Lake Mille Lacs area, or Lake Minnetonka area, or maybe even Bemidji area. My question is that I dont know what are good snowmobiling areas in Minnesota because i've only been on about 3 trips, so leave a response saying what is your favorite/best place to snowmobile in MN, and if you really want, tell a little bit about the trip.

Thanks

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
North Shore, International falls are both great area's. I know there are a few guys that have some great riding in the south part of the state.

For me L.O.W. is still my favorite area to ride in the state (right from the cabin door). but I have access to a lot of private land for riding. Also it can be tough to get a hotel as everybody and their brother are up for the fishing in that area.

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
MN Riding

I'd have to give a "thumbs up" to the SE corner of Carlton Co. and the NE corner of Pine Co.

There is a really nice loop you can take starting from Moose Lake (any of the towns on the Munger) down to where the Kettle river goes under I-35, then east almost to the Gandy Dancer, then north through the Nemadji Forest to Nickerson, back west through Willow River/Moose Lake/Barnum to the Munger and back to your starting point.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/snowmobiling/map14.pdf
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/snowmobiling/map13.pdf

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Mark, I own a couple hundred acres west of Stergeon Lake by 16m.

I really don't ride trails much and when I do it's going west from there. I've gone to Moose lake and to Duluth but stayed on the trails. Is there much for swamps to play in East of Moose Lake?

Owen

MX86

Lifetime Membership
Apr 9, 2008
Bemidji, MN
Right from my garage in Nashwauk. Trail runs almost through my back yard and once south of town the off trail is dang near limitless. If that ever get's old we load up and trailer up to Isabella and go ride the LTV powerlines

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
If we do finally get a good snow year I'm still thinking about riding from my house in Ham Lake (about 25 miles north of Minneapolis) to my cabin up near L.O.W. Take a few days and make a good trip out of it.

If only we get the snow cover over the entire state!!

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Swamps

I really don't ride trails much and when I do it's going west from there. I've gone to Moose lake and to Duluth but stayed on the trails. Is there much for swamps to play in East of Moose Lake?

Owen

West of Moose Lake on the way to hiway 65 (Chicken Shack at hiway 27) there is a huge swamp.

When you are on just the other side of Hwy 23 you can go north and that stretch goes through a huge swamp.

North of Mahtowa coming in from Cromwell there are some huge ditchbanks.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
The swamp east of hwy 65 is my back yard but,

it's not open enough to really get into. I do some exploring in there with an okl long track Cheetah 156''. I need a little more open for my 1000 mod. King. I'll ck out the swamp north of 27 and 65 intersection. We call that bar Jack's Shack, old name , I guess. Thanks for the info.
I live in Duluth on the North Shore trail. I ride there and go to the UP in MI.

Owen

H

haydaysswaptroll

Sep 21, 2010
www.haydays.com
SE MN a great secret. Trails are a blast when there's snow. Very scenic bluff riding. A well kept secret.

Minnetonka- skip it. Have to basically ride west into farm country.

Mille Lacs- Area is okay. Busier to the west towards Brainerd.

Moose Lake/McGregor- Area is mostly swamps so if that's what you're looking for, there are lots. Limited fuel stops though south of McGregor.

IFalls- great area and lots of off trail opportunities. Some terrific rivers to be run in the area.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
it's not open enough to really get into. I do some exploring in there with an okl long track Cheetah 156''. I need a little more open for my 1000 mod. King. I'll ck out the swamp north of 27 and 65 intersection. We call that bar Jack's Shack, old name , I guess. Thanks for the info.
I live in Duluth on the North Shore trail. I ride there and go to the UP in MI.

Owen

News to me that it's not Jacks anymore...oh well I'm a native so it will always be Jacks.

Owne I have a few good swamp areas to ride I can find on google and PM ya the info...my sled won't be done this year or I'd show ya.

Got any pics of this tunnel climb?

As for favorite area...well if there is snow I like McGregor area, you can go south towards Mille Lacs, east towards Cromwell, Moose Lake, head towards Floodwood and Hilly City, Jacobson on north. Really good trails no matter which way you head.

Of course I have a few play spots if you like to play but those are secret...you need cold beer to get me to tell those. Lots of swamps, small lakes and some rivers if you don't mind slush and tight turn arounds.

Only issue is I am not 100 percent on the legality of some of my riding areas since they reclassified the forests.

Last edited:

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
One more comment, it is amazing how much play area you can find without really leaving the main areas...nobody really veers off the established trails even on the lakes and rivers.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Slush? Love it, it keeps out the riff raff..........

I've got a favorite ride here north of Duluth on the Cloquet river from Island Lake to Pequan Lake. It's the most fun if you're the first. There's always slush and it scares the trail sleds. After the slush freezes it's rough and not much fun. Two seasons ago we rode it a Christmas with two M-8's. It appeared that it was open water in our tracks. I slowed down til the rear of the sled fell in, then pinned it, did a huge wheely and planed out at about 60mph. FUN!
I don't think I've got pics. of the climb arround the tunnel. It's usally spun up, but with a little snow any good mountain sled can make a new track. I think studded tracks make it fine in the spun up track. If they don't get bucked off.
I'll send you a PM with my E-mail address. Maybe you could point out the more open swamps in Aitkin Co.

Owen

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
I'll work on a map for ya tomorrow. I assume you don't mind cat tails and some scrub brush from time to time.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Naw, I take them up to a couple inches,

although someone told be that that's why my A-arms are melting.

Owen

S
Sep 24, 2009
MN
If we do finally get a good snow year I'm still thinking about riding from my house in Ham Lake (about 25 miles north of Minneapolis) to my cabin up near L.O.W. Take a few days and make a good trip out of it.

If only we get the snow cover over the entire state!!

I was just planning a similar route a few hours ago. Going from Blaine to Grand Rapids.

sledking

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
I wouldnt recommend minnetonka area. Way to busy and if you dont hit the snow as it comes down its worn out the next day. Best places i've rode are hour west of minneapolis, hutchinson and montevideo litchfield area. had great snow last year and good trails. another good place is alexanderia and north of brainerd.

Premium Features