• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best place to ride?

E
Mar 4, 2024
Mooresville NC
We are current trail riders in northern Maine. However we do alot of off trail boonedocking. We are very interested in going out west to ride deep powder. The trip is to far for us to load our big sleds. And drive out west. So my question is...where is the best place to plug and go? Sled rental, cabins, food? We bring our gear. And ride!

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
How far you want to come west?
Our Wyoming snow is at it's peak right now, and fresh powder the past 3 days in a row and storms keep rolling in.
Here is a good place for your style of wants/riding

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
We are current trail riders in northern Maine. However we do alot of off trail boonedocking. We are very interested in going out west to ride deep powder. The trip is to far for us to load our big sleds. And drive out west. So my question is...where is the best place to plug and go? Sled rental, cabins, food? We bring our gear. And ride!
SOOOOO Many choices are in front of you.

You could fly into Jackson Hole and go to Togwotee Lodge.
You could fly into Idaho Falls and go to a dozen places in West Yellowstone or Island Park

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Fly into Boise and rent a car into McCall. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how easy is it to find and get to the good boondocking areas. My first time to Island Park sucked. Just tons of trails and thick trees, we just had maps and no guide. Second time was much better with someone who knew the area. Think about that, a trip depends on finding the good zones.

What's nice about McCall is a ton of great riding is found right off the main trail, with a little guidance like "turn right at the bathrooms" , you'll have a boondockers paradise.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Fly into Boise and rent a car into McCall. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how easy is it to find and get to the good boondocking areas. My first time to Island Park sucked. Just tons of trails and thick trees, we just had maps and no guide. Second time was much better with someone who knew the area. Think about that, a trip depends on finding the good zones.
100% CORRECT!!!!!

F

Frankunnu

Sep 14, 2020
I live on the west coast. Born and raised in Oregon and now live in California. The thing about good zones is that they are literally everywhere you have national forest. National Forests have access roads that are unplowed during the winter so it's kinda like a "trail". From that trail you can go anywhere you freaking want. Millions of square miles that you could spend your entire life exploring.

I've lived in cooke City Montana. I've lived in Jackson Wyoming. I've lived in Tahoe and I'd never go back to any of those places again. Although those days are some of my favorite memories from my younger years. I have thoughts of going to McCall but like I said earlier. There's so much to explore in my local area why would I drive and spend thousands of dollars to do what I can do in my back yard? The hardest part in my opinion is finding a decent sled rental service.

My last suggestion is that if you want to ride powder in the mountains I highly suggest taking an avalanche 1 course and having all the appropriate gear. We just had a 4000ft slide in my local area and luckily no one was killed. That's just my 2 cents. Good luck to you on your adventure no matter where you choose to go!
d7383891996dbca47cf16e7748b9ef11.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Premium Features