• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt drives c3 vs tki vs mvm

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Tki, right price, best service.

I was also told I couldn't run the MVM when competing so that took care of that.

But really, Tom is just a great guy.

Really? I'm pretty sure that's not true. Todd and Trace Tupper from Tupper Racing are running the MVM belt drive and they are part of the RMSHA circuit. There is a hill climb this weekend in Bellevue, ID they are participating in.

compound 1300

Premium Member
Mar 15, 2010
zortman montana
TKI Belt Drive

TKI! Fit&Finish,made in USA, customer service. I've had two TKI belt Drives one on a custom built pro-lite 940cc and now on a CPC Turbo 800 w/162 3 inch track.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Really? I'm pretty sure that's not true. Todd and Trace Tupper from Tupper Racing are running the MVM belt drive and they are part of the RMSHA circuit. There is a hill climb this weekend in Bellevue, ID they are participating in.

Not the same comp Wyo is talking about. He is not hill climbing. It's the back country comp he did in steam boat co last year. They were supposed to have more events this year but the the first two have been canceled because low participant sign-up.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Not the same comp Wyo is talking about. He is not hill climbing. It's the back country comp he did in steam boat co last year. They were supposed to have more events this year but the the first two have been canceled because low participant sign-up.

Yeah I remember reading about that. He won the competition if I'm not mistaken. I guess my point was if they all the MVM drive in the RMSHA circuit, I can't imagine they wouldn't allow it elsewhere?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I am looking to add a belt drive to my 2015 M8000. I was just on TKI's website and see there are upper gear choices from 24 to 30 tooth upper gears available. I may wait a bit until I can combine the belt drive and a 3" Powerclaw at the same time. I plan to continue to use the 8 tooth drivers with the setup. My question is, what upper gear should would be best to work with this setup? My sled is a 153' and has the SLP single pipe and can with MDS weights. I weigh 175 lbs. without gear and I ride from 4-7,000 feet the vast majority of the time.

Also, I am not married to buying a specific brand but, are there any of the manufacturers or distibutors that are offering a late season special?

Why do the manufactures speak in upper gear sizes when everyone here seems to speak in terms of gear ratios?

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK

What classes are they allowing a belt drive in? I got told no go with belt drives in Alaska and they use isr rules

S
Aug 15, 2009
Rules?

In the midwest I can run both the Cor series and the MASTERS series with it...However I would not suggest the MASTERS....Not to highjack but what is the backcountry comp? Link??

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I am looking to add a belt drive to my 2015 M8000. I was just on TKI's website and see there are upper gear choices from 24 to 30 tooth upper gears available. I may wait a bit until I can combine the belt drive and a 3" Powerclaw at the same time. I plan to continue to use the 8 tooth drivers with the setup. My question is, what upper gear should would be best to work with this setup? My sled is a 153' and has the SLP single pipe and can with MDS weights. I weigh 175 lbs. without gear and I ride from 4-7,000 feet the vast majority of the time.

Also, I am not married to buying a specific brand but, are there any of the manufacturers or distibutors that are offering a late season special?

Why do the manufactures speak in upper gear sizes when everyone here seems to speak in terms of gear ratios?

On my 14 I used 25/63, 2.52 ratio; 2.6/162/8 tooth drivers. Equivalent to 20/50 gears. It worked very well.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
My Money goes to C3, TKI does not even use the correct tooth form

These are a few of my observations from a TKI for sale post that had very high quality close ups of the sprockets.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409014

I noticed the round root of the tooth profile and when I compared it to the Gates and Mitsuboshi Carbon belt and my C3 sprockets I noticed that the TKI is indeed running the wrong tooth profile for the Gates or Mitsuboshi Carbon belts. FWIW

Glad I went with the higher quality lighter weight originator (C3) for my sleds. The correct tooth profile closely resembles a true involute tooth form. Flat top and bottom with a constantly changing arc connecting them. The Gates tooth profile slightly more pronounced than the Mitsuboshi.

The TKI tooth profile can and does work, just less efficiently than the true / correct tooth profile. The rounded tooth does not engage the whole belt tooth, it point loads it at the top near the carbon tension / tensile members which could cause accelerated belt wear and lead to belt tooth stripping if the correct conditions were to present themselves.

I can not speak to MVM. I'm a Polaris guy and been dealing with C3 since before TKI was even making sled parts. FWIW

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Love my TKI. Tom is a top notch dude. I thought maybe there was more on the table with my sled after I had the belt-drive on for a couple months and Tom sent me another sprocket to gear the sled up no questions asked.

Install was cake and have had zero issues in almost 800 miles. 5 of my buddies also installed TKI on polaris and ski doo and not one issue with any of them. I'm a TKI fan for life.

marvelous

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2012
Dent mn
Belt Drive

Would like to hear some thoughts from guys and gals running any of these setups. I've been going around in circles in my head and cannot seem to decide which system might have an edge! all appear to be very quality built with alot of good reviews. I will be converting to a belt drive with 15 jackshaft on my 14 m8000 162" 2.6pc stage 2 slp. Any input welcome on the subject, thanks

Now that we've heard most guy's are happy with there purchase, I would like to here about the economics. weight savings? cost per lbs.? Thanks

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
This is one of those mods that are really a waste of money. Have had both on the same sled and you can't tell the difference plus then its another spare belt you have to carry.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
This is one of those mods that are really a waste of money. Have had both on the same sled and you can't tell the difference plus then its another spare belt you have to carry.

Most do not carry a spare chain, so why carry a spare belt? They are every bit as reliable when installed correctly. IME

You can carry one, but the chance of actually needing it are less than 5% and most of those are owner / installer caused.

I disagree with the waste of money opinion as well. But I've been waiting twenty plus years for belt technology to be able to deal with the shock loads a sled can dish out. Now that they can and do, I'm all in! With my choice going to C3. Hands down the best of the 3 choices. IMO

Last edited:

I always thought of it as more of a reliability thing....also when a chain goes, its usually pretty damn destructive and takes out the whole damn case and the oil tank too. I figure the cost of that little ordeal pays for the belt drive right then and there, atleast real close if not...Then your dead in the water! With the belt drive it breaks then what, put on the spare and boom resume your day like nothing ever happened. Thats how i always looked at it anyhow. I dont run a belt drive either, wish i did! I can just barely aford my monthly payment on the damn sled.....another thing with running a chain is its such an unknown as to whats going on inside that case since you cant see the damn thing. As with the belt drive its just right there in the wide open, no stinking trip ending suprises.

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT

Not a personal cut to you or anything sandman, but this is kind of like when guys say aftermarket shocks are a waste of money because they can't really tell a difference. Some people can and some people can't. If stock works for you great!

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
My 2 cents

First off, I have not run MVM's or TKI's version of a belt drive. I do however, have a C3 drive on my 285hp M1100T with 3", my Arctic Edge 925 M800 with a 3", and on my wife's 2013 ProRMK with a Carl's Cycle 660 and 2.6" Power Claw. To date, the 1100T has 1700 miles on the belt, the 925 has about 2000 miles, and the Pro has about 1100 miles, all mountain riding, not one belt failure, and I haven't replaced any either. C3 did their homework, the system will withstand tremendous shock loads and big hp, but like anything, setup and installation is key. If you miss the sweet spot and have the belt too tight or too loose, it won't live. This is my personal experience. Would I buy another from C3? You bet.

S
Aug 15, 2009
Here are the numbers I came up with on my kit from mvm

5.9 lbs total including the oil tank on the new kit.
1lb 2.5 oz on the top sprocket
5.1 oz belt
9.8 oz oil tank
1lb .8 oz bottom gear/bearings
1lb 4.2 oz cover with powdercoat
15.4 oz lower tensioner and bolts

Premium Features