• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Battle Scars

H
Nov 6, 2009
I took a fall last weekend and broke a rib and bruised two others,
I was wondering if others have injured themselves on a HAWK,
Let me know what they are so I don't feel so out of sorts.

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
dont worry about the ribs...you have plenty of extras! how bad does it hurt when you laugh?!!

knock on wood,no major injuries from the hawk! just a few sliced shins from the pegs and bloody knee from a big fall on the ice. maybe some more damage to my already busted shoulder...sorry bout the ribs,hopefully you get better soon and back on the trail before winters end

H
Nov 6, 2009
You just put it to the test, still hurts when I laugh.
I guess everyone has those bangned up shins huh?
How do you recognize a HAWKER on the beach?
He's the one with the chunks missing from his shins,
and the overdevelloped Popeye forearms.

haha still hurts..

T
Nov 29, 2007
Morrsitown Vermont
I high sided it on some invisible ice like a moto gp racer might. Hurt my shoulder and woke me up to the need of some kind of traction device.. I purchase lug studs (Trail Grabbers).

Other than that just back pain! Recently installed suspension relocation brackets , hopefully that helps.

This thread leads to a good question. Is the Hawk safer than a conventional sled? Lower speeds with greater amounts of concentration to control it may be the key to safety? Knock on wood.

Never had a problem with the pegs wearing these when I ride.

http://shop.bieti.it/images/EVS_WebKnee.jpg

H
Nov 6, 2009
The leg brace looks good and would help,
does't help for footpeg wounds though.
Is there something similar to the leg brace
but for a chest and rib protector, besides the full Cross gear?

T
Nov 29, 2007
Morrsitown Vermont
The leg brace looks good and would help,
does't help for footpeg wounds though.
Is there something similar to the leg brace
but for a chest and rib protector, besides the full Cross gear?

Those braces along with my snowboard boot offer absolute protection from the pegs. Those braces are the best thing I have bought since buying the Hawk. I use them for everything. Dirt bike, skiing, snowboarding and hawking. For god sakes sometimes I throw then on the snow blow! LOL. I feel naked without them now.

H
Nov 6, 2009
Hmmmm.
What is the price range for those braces?
and where can you get them?
How about the chest plates?
Do you know if the manufacturer makes those too?

T
Nov 29, 2007
Morrsitown Vermont
Mine are the top of the line Web Knee braces at http://www.evs-sports.com.
I got mine with a special offer at 455.00 for a pair. They are 375.00 ea normally.
The RS7 looks interesting
http://www.evs-sports.com/product/knee-braces/rs7-knee-brace/

Its possible for your insurance to cover these if needed.

They do have less expensive models that offer as much impact protection so take a look. They also have the Ballistic Jerseys that would be perfect for hawking!
http://www.evs-sports.com/product/ballistic-jerseys/bj22-ballistic-jersey/

T
Dec 26, 2007
Minnesota
Sorry

to hear about your pain, I slipped on the ice one time, pulled my hemi real bad, black and blue from my a$$ to my calf. Resolution, "Ice Grabbers". I alway's wear a tek-vest. and knee protection. Good investment.

Tekvest.com

Knee pads just picked them up from a motocross shop.

Get Well soon. Don't let the hawk get the better of you. When your ready to ride again, you stand infront of her while your getting geared up to ride, let her know your going to ride her like know one else has. Pull on the handle bar, slap the seat, fire her up and giver hell.

H
Nov 6, 2009
Thanks TK,
But my fall was because I was riding on ashphalt on the side of the road,
when the front just slipped out from underneath me (real fast) and dropped like a ton of bricks on me.
I do have studs on the track and custom SnowTrackers made by Pred03,
I don't think there is a solution for traction while riding on pavement,
if there is I would like to know...
Now I fear the ashphalt........

soccer shin pads for $20 work great! those foot pegs can kick the crap out of ya.

i bailed on a road doing 50km once. i got up and walked away with out a sore spot anywere. i think the extra layer of fat makes for good padding. since then i have not been to worried about wipeing out. except for maybe aroung trees. they dont give to much for error. i have been lucky i guess with all the hard bails i have done.

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
I've had difficulty handling the Hawk on asphalt as well. I don't think one should attempt to turn or start on it, which I guess also means don't stop on it.

Like TK said, climb back on that thing, sink your spurrs in deep and make her submit to your will.

LONG LIVE THE HAWK!!!

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
SNOWmobile,SNOWmachine,SNOWhawk...whatever you want to call it. it still says snow in the title. take it easy on the road...i keep both feet down as training wheels and keep the speed to a crawl..let her rip once you get back on the SNOW again. maybe if you get the wheel kit, you can rip up the road too?i will admit i slid down the pavement once at about 30-35mph...never again

N
Dec 3, 2009
No battle scars but i went down pretty hard, RxR tracks and snow hawk's don't mix. While crossing Railroad tracks on an angle it kicked out the front ski, I went over the bars and the hawk ended up 30 feet down the trail by itself on it's side. I never saw the rail. Then had to continue 10 miles down the tracks to our destination. Very slow ride...

I
Jan 4, 2008
Palmer AK.
I Ripped my right thumb out of socket and folded it back to the wrist snapped the tendens and popped a chunck out of the socket that was the first year with the hawk at artic man I snagged a branch with my thumb on a wicked climb and my glove did not let loose. It was a week later before I seen the Doc. Cjgodden was there and re-set my thumb %&*^$$ ^ *%%#% DID that hurt. Duct tape is your friend it shrinks the swelling down far enough you can put a glove back on. I have also high sided at max speed on flat ground smashed my hip,shoulder and busted my new helmet it also busted the cross brace that the handel bars bolt to along with shoving my clutch through the belly pan. other than that all other injuries / surgeries are from sleds and dirt bikes.

..............Hence IbBroken :face-icon-small-hap:devil:

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
Almost ripped my knee off on my first season while doing the motocros technique thing. Got away from that technique from there on !

Most of my other crashes were in the beloved deep powder we have here... That's one of the reason why I like powder that much too ! I've never had to cross a road as I'm riding once, since i'm here out west... They're dangerous that's for sure...

H
Nov 6, 2009
I think it's safe to say that "Hawkers" beginer or advanced are more
adventurous than "couches", eventhough the Hawk is less stable and more difficult to control, the injuries are not that bad....
I guess the injuries are comparable to a "quad" and a "dirtbike"...
I still beleive the Hawk is a safe machine, but like Buffalo said
"you need snow"
Hawkers are a different breed of riders,
more adventurous and older... you would think the youguns would be more attracted to it...
O well

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
the nice thing is the machine doesnt attack you after a crash... back when i was racing quads and riding 2 skis, they would always run you over if you fell off! the hawk or a bike falls to one side or the other(most of the time)

Premium Features