• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bad Oscar Customs 800 Big Block Kit Install on 05 440 polaris race sled

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
how is the build coming in cost wise? are you still on budget or a little over?

I am a little over budget. Now days i just buy stuff as i can afford it. I am a little over $9,000 so far but i figure that by the time i hit $12,000 (the cost of a new sled) i will be plenty happy!

The real expensive part is the time involved. I wish I would have recorded my hours to put a price on that but im going ot guess that I have around 75 hours In it and probably 15-20 hours of help. Sp if I was paying some one it would be another $2500+ and so far I have not had anyone help me that charged me.

I am going to have my polaris dealer put my clutch weights on, balance the clutches, and a few other things.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
looks like most of it is put together though and the snow is still falling in bozo... have u put any miles on it yet?

Engine has about a gallon or so of fuel through it. I broke the recoiler spring the other day when i was breaking it in. So i get to pull the engine out again.

Last edited:
C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I have about 10 gallons through the sled now and all i can say is.... riding this bad boy is orgasmic. My "friends" have named my sled rehab so i guess thats its name from now on? :rolleyes:

It makes so much power and is one of the most fun sleds i have ever rapped my legs around. It has about a 45mph track speed while climbing and turns out in a second. It is so much fun finding really technical climbs and picking through them with this sled. :D It also has the perfect balance for jumping! It is way better for jumping than the 600 was. Also, with snow conditions like they are; I am just going to run the 121 until we get some decent snow to climb with. When that happens the 153x15x2.25 Camoplast Maverick is going on. And I think I am going to make a duck tail for it. :eek:

BUT some things need to be done soon!

New a-arms (broke one the other day jumping it)

Drop down spindles ( i am going ot make my own by cutting about 2.4" off the stock spindles)

I need to figure a way to get a torque arm on the front of the engine and i need to build a stronger brace to move t down and keep my torque arm from breaking off.

I also REALY want a 09 skidoo XP seat and tank. They are comfy as hell, sit higher than the boss, and look trick!

1024-Sum_Group_0181.jpg

Other than that, i got my Bad Oscar Customs clutch kit installed with my Team rapid reaction secondary and a new Polaris primary clutch. I still need to send them to spank to get them balanced.

I got rid of my PVC carb mounts and just mounted the pods o the carbs.

Also, I got this sled on the scales and it was at 520 pounds with ¾ tank and a tone of ice on the sled and suspension. So I am saying its 515 pounds ready to ride. :p And the running total is now $10,400! :eek:

I will get some pics of it in action soon!

Last edited:
C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Thanks! Don’t worry. I had a blast on my 600 last season and you don’t really need chrome pipes. Its just one more thing you have to clean. I would have got ceramic coated pipes but I got the pipes for like $400 from spank at Bad Oscar Customs.

Hey WYO, i am kind of interested in your sled. I could pick it up if you wanted to take $5,000 for it. I know that’s a huge price cut and not much for an 800 IQR mod but that’s my price limit right now. Just thought i would throw that out there.

Um slaughter house, i will be in Cooke on sat and buck creek with skidoo'n it on Sunday. Why don't you bring your little sno scoot and get you *** kicked?

I am waiting on my new a-arms from winter. If I get them tomorrow I will tare me sled apart and put the ORANGE a-arms on for this weekend. Should be fun!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i cant wait to see this thing run, i love small fast sleds, they may not dominate the climbs, but thye are so much fun on any terrain and snowpack.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Wait till i get it dialed in with the nitrous kit im making. It could use a bit more weight in the primary but i will just run it like it is for now. If I continue to have as much fun as I am I might leave it short tracked all year.

I am going to build my own kit. FYI, the tank i am using is a small fire extinguisher (until i can get a larger CF bottle). Its about a 6 pounds bottle. Im going to hide it under my seat and then i am going to use a "dragon button" to activate it. The dragon button comes stock on the IQR for hole shots so i when people ask i can tell them that that’s what the button is.

Other than that, the next thing on the list is to make an air box and some more vents. Then I am going to pull all the wraps off the sled and have SCS make me a new set.

I am just going to run a 30lb shot but it will be worth it. Also i won't notice the weight cause it’s so low in the chassis and all of it’s on the track anyways. I would like to get a large Cf bottle but i don't have $700 floating around. Only thing i need to finish the nos kit is a control box. If anyone has a Boss No2 controller that they want to sell let me know!

Sundance Kid

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2001
Black Hills
Does anyone know if the IQR bulkheads have changed between 05 and 09?
I've got the 800 BB engine just sitting on the bench and haven't decided if I should put it in the IQR chassis or 07/08 RMK chassis. What a decision!!!

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Not much. They added a few braces and took a few out over the years. The front steering geometry has changed a few times and the 09's have a new a-arm and spindle design.

IMO, just pick up a 05 or 06 and save some money.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Hear are some pics from the weekend.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Well.... Broke the pull cord again so i am pulling the engine tonight to fix that and a broken coolant line. Also i got Winter's orange a-arms in so i will throw them on.

B
Jul 6, 2001
Watrous, SK
PM 4Z on here and get his Fantom recoil rope. You'll never break one again.

I feel for ya having to pull the engine out to get at the recoil. I have to as well on my 999 Cat / Rev. My stupid knot on my pull handle let go last ride and the rope disappeared into the recoil. Use that rope, tie this knot http://www.animatedknots.com/fig8rescue/index.php and you'll never have another recoil issue... Learned my lesson this time.

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
your pull cord is rubbing on something because this must be the 5th or 6th time youhave broken it this winter. You may have to re-route the cord and maybe drill a new hole in the cowling. Yo may also want to invest in an aluminum tube that you can route the cord through.

BTW, my best time for pulling the engine to replace a cord was 80 minutes. How fast are you now?

B
Jul 6, 2001
Watrous, SK
BTW, my best time for pulling the engine to replace a cord was 80 minutes. How fast are you now?

I can do mine in 45 mins not working too hard at it. I have to pull the front bumper piece off the Rev to get the pipes out, take the 4 motor mount bolts out, yank the carbs and then tip the engine up enough to get the recoil out.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I could do it in 30-40 min if I wanted to but I like to take my time. I just put on some good tunes and spend hours on end going through things on my sled.

Hear is a list of things I need to try and get to this week.

I will look into that rope.

I am going to pull the engine and set it in the basement of my house and go through everything on it.

I am doing the following.

Re-torqueing all the bolts on the front suspension, steering and check all on all the motor mounts.

Taking the head off to check pistons-sleeves for any wear/build up

Removing all the paint from the head and grinding off the letters. Then i am going to polish the hell out of it.

Putting new carb boots on ( mine have a cut in them from being put on and off 1,000,000 times

installing dial-a-jets

making a new airbox

making a aluminum guard to cover the jackshaft

installing the new a-arms

moving the rear skid down about 1" in the front and cutting a bit off of my rails

retourque all suspension bolts (fawking rear drop down bracket comes loose every 5-6 rides)

Install SLP fender vent from IQ RMK chassis

Making an aluminum plate to mount my koso EGT gauge on the hood

moving the over flow jug away from the pipes

Installing cheap aluminum hose guards from napa on all the hoses that COULD rub on some thing

Redoing all the wiring and hooking up my RSI bar warmers

THEN i get to put it back together, put my new tires on my truck, then im off for another test and tune ride... :face-icon-small-dis

Premium Features