• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Backcountry Traveling 101

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
W

Winter Project

Dec 3, 2007
Anchorage / Gwood
www.myspace.com
1st off, my disclaimer: I'm not an avalanche professional. This isn't a comprehensive list of do's and dont's. This thread was intended to inform the people who, for their own reasons, haven't or don't intend on participating in an avalanche class.

A few pointers to consider while riding:

• Beacons - Get one! Either buy or borrow. Even on low risk days, it is IRRESPONSIBLE not to travel with one. Imagine your brother, son, dad, best friend, girlfriend, getting buried, and the overwhelming helpless feeling that will overtake you because you don't have a beacon to help search with(assuming they are wearing one and its turned on). Also keep in mind, you can buy the most expensive beacon in the world, but it won't mean anything if you don't know how to use it. PRACTICE! Alyeska Resort has a FREE practice range. They have a computerized course set up that randomizes fake beacons under the snow so you can practice with your beacon.

• Advisory - If you aren't a professional, take the advice of one. Everyone has money, but that doesn't mean everyone is qualified to be an accountant. Visit Chugach National Forrest Avalanche Information Center Website - this site provides up-to-date avalanche information for many of the popular riding destinations on/near the Kenai Peninsula. This site is updated almost daily by trained professionals. Don't need to be a pro, just need to know how to read!

• Useful Avalanche Facts -
    • 90% of all avalanches happen during a storm or within a 24 hour window after a storm.
    • Avalanche prone areas are generally on slopes of 35-45 degrees, with 38 degrees being the sweet spot.
    • Between 55 and 65 percent of victims buried are killed.
    • 20 percent of the victims remaining on the surface die from some sort of trauma, typically from neck/spinal injuries.
  • Groups/Routes - Try to avoid traveling in large groups. 3-5 people is the ideal target #. Avoid complex terrain. Try to avoid terrain traps, like riding in the bottom of a gully next to a slope greater than 30 degrees. When looking at problem areas, also consider escape routes. Try to avoid traveling on or directly beneath avalanche prone terrain, but if you must, travel one at a time(this includes climbing to the backside of turny). Keep an eye on your buddies, this serves two purposes:
    • If an avy breaks, you can move to a safe zone.
    • If you are in a safe zone and an avy breaks, you can 'spot' the victim(s), which will help expedite the recovery process.

• Human Factor - Using the right equipment does not justify exposing yourself to unnecessary risks with the hope that the equipment might save your life when it is needed.

• Avalanche Victims - Victims caught in an avalanche are advised to try to ski/board/ride toward the side of the avalanche until they fall, then to jettison their equipment and attempt swimming motions. As the snow comes to rest an attempt should be made to preserve an air-space in front of the mouth, and try to thrust an arm, leg or object above the surface, assuming you are still conscious.

• Avalanche Equipment(* annotates highly recommended equipment) :
    • Beacon* - hopefully you know what this is.
    • Probe* - Are extended to probe into the snow to locate the exact location of victims.
    • Shovel* - Again, self explanatory.
    • Avalung - a pack that is worn that has a mouth piece and can supply oxygen and increase chances of survival while rescuer's search and dig.
    • Air Bag - a pack that works by pulling a parachute like cord that deploys a life preserver type flotation device filled with oxygen that was designed to keep you 'floating' on the surface of an avalanche.

Conclusion:

I have recently been attending the free 'avalanche workshops' the nice people from Chugach National Forrest Avalanche Information Center have been putting on(see the schedule on their website), and I've noticed a startling trend.... 95% of the people who attend these workshops, are skiers/snowboards. The Park Rangers usually point this out, and make some comment about the lack of snowmachiners in attendance. From a snowmachiner's stand point in attendance, its kind of embarrassing.

My riding buddies vary greatly from ride to ride. One thing that doesn't vary that much, is most of them have never attended any sort of avalanche training. I have only recently taken note to this, and have been advocating/training them myself. If they can't read the snow pack, don't visit the the CNFAIC website, don't go up steep terrain one at a time, I at least hope they can use their beacon/probe/shovel to find me, should I ever become a victim.

Common sense and situational awareness is something that will surprisingly take you a long way in the backcountry. Slow down, think about it, is it worth it?

Its really easy to write this stuff off as dumb or overboard... or to be the guy/girl who is too cool for school, but if you don't believe me, take it from the group of friends who put this video together(plus it has relevant information that might save you someday)....

A Dozen More Turns

A
Dec 1, 2007
Alaska
That is great information! It would be nice if there was at least 1 or 2 classes in Fairbanks each year. There are a lot of snowmachiners and skiiers/boarders up here that just can't make it to Anchorage for a class but could really benefit from one.

W

Winter Project

Dec 3, 2007
Anchorage / Gwood
www.myspace.com
That is great information! It would be nice if there was at least 1 or 2 classes in Fairbanks each year. There are a lot of snowmachiners and skiiers/boarders up here that just can't make it to Anchorage for a class but could really benefit from one.

Seems like someone would be offering some sort of course up there.... maybe at UAF? I'm sure if someone(like yourself) organized a group of people who wanted a course, you could interest someone in coming up there and teaching a 1 or 2 day course - depending on the class size you could probably get a good deal.

If nothing else, there are plenty of websites that offer information, including youtube.

If I have made any mistakes, or if anyone has any relevant information to share... please post it.

:beer;:beer;:beer;

Premium Features