• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys oil question

R
Nov 1, 2012
Vermont
I dont know about that . . . the Legend Oil smells pretty dang good! =)
Based on my experience, the worst smelling oils are Redline and Amsoil. Used to run both, and got tired of burning eyes. Those two are horrible!!

I challenge you to get some Ipone then :) It smells like a cross between strawberries and Snuggle dryer sheets. :hippie:

There was some oil nerd on HCS years ago who did his own testing on a whole bunch of oils and the Ipone was one of the best ones on the spreadsheet with the only negative being that it was very difficult to find.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
There was some oil nerd on HCS years ago who did his own testing on a whole bunch of oils and the Ipone was one of the best ones on the spreadsheet with the only negative being that it was very difficult to find.

Legend was #1, FWIW. Supposedly 100% dino. Redline rated very high, also, think it was the best 100% synthetic. OEMs didn't fair as well. Dude called himself 'the chemist' or something like that. There's a post somewhere on SW in 2011 that references it, if you're interested. Comes up every year at this time...

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
Legend was #1, FWIW. Supposedly 100% dino. Redline rated very high, also, think it was the best 100% synthetic. OEMs didn't fair as well. Dude called himself 'the chemist' or something like that. There's a post somewhere on SW in 2011 that references it, if you're interested. Comes up every year at this time...

I remember that guy, he used to work for nasa! I remember that the polaris ves rated really high, a lot higher than amsoil, I thought that it rated really close to redline! I've been running polaris ves ever since!

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Dealer had VES in bulk, bought a couple 10L jugs for $90 Cdn or whatever they were. Cheap enough, lots on hand for running two sleds. Just refill a few 1L to keep in the truck for emergencies.
Never need to worry about warranty, one less excuse the factory can use to deny any potential problem..

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I remember that guy, he used to work for nasa! I remember that the polaris ves rated really high, a lot higher than amsoil, I thought that it rated really close to redline! I've been running polaris ves ever since!

This is not true! I'll start digging for the article comparing sled oils. AMSoil was at the top, above VES.

Go to THIS Google search and click on any of the images. Try and find ones that are not oil brand specific. Just gives you an idea of the quality you are dealing with.

Last edited:

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
This is not true! I'll start digging for the article comparing sled oils. AMSoil was at the top, above VES.

Go to THIS Google search and click on any of the images. Try and find ones that are not oil brand specific. Just gives you an idea of the quality you are dealing with.

I found part of the chemist article in hardcore sledder and the polaris ves gold was rated #2 in his top 5, amsoil intercector didn't even make his top five list because it has to much detergent in it. Of the oils that he tested he only recommends redline and polaris ves gold, I'm sure that there are other good oils out there but i'm not running amsoil, I have lost a rod bearing and a pto bearing when i was running amsoil and I haven't had one issue with the polaris ves gold.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Thanks Ryan, that's the one I was thinking of, but I stand corrected - Redline was #3, not 2. My experience with Klotz in doo Rave's wasn't great, but that was 10 years ago.

Premium Features