• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Apex turbo opinions

V
Apr 10, 2008
Enderby B.C.
I have a chance to get an 06 turbo apex w/ the MCX rear mount turbo..270HP.
It has a 162 x 16 track with what looks like a newer cat m-series skid.

Whats the pro and cons?

Thank you..

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
They are heavy. That's no secret to anyone. But 270 horsepower makes them seem quite a bit lighter.

Some people say that they won't sidehill. They can and will sidehill. Not as nimble as a new Pro, Proclimb, XP or Viper, but the sled is eight years old. They weren't the most nimble sled when they were first made either, but you get used to them.

On the positive side, if they are set up correctly, they will produce big power all day long and the motor will easily last 10K miles. The Cat skid is a good skid. It reduces weight and if installed correctly, will perform better than the stock Apex suspension.

MCX is supposed to be the best boost system around. Unless there is something wrong with it or it was installed incorrectly, you should have a really good set up.

I just got back from riding (like 20 minutes ago) with two friends. One on a boosted Apex (310 HP kit with stock skid and 162 track) and the other on a Polaris Dragon. My friend on the Polaris is probably a better rider than the one on the Apex and has a more nimble sled. However, he was getting really frustrated because he couldn't pull the lines that my friend on the Apex was able to pull. That power can do some amazing things.

If the price is right, I'd say buy it. Be sure you get it at a price that you know that you could sell it for in the event you don't like it, but I expect you will like it and like it a lot.

Last edited:

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
What kind of riding do you do? If you like to tree ride, you will be worn out at the end of the day. The weight and power can be tiring. The motor sits high so sidehilling isn't a problem. I lost count of how many guys jumped on my Apex and then tipped over when they wanted it up on one ski. If the turbo was installed and set up correctly, it's a gas and go sled. For years!! Grease the suspension to keep water out. I never had to change a belt(8dn yammi belt) and I've had 4 turbo Yamahas. The bottom end torque is very easy on belts. Find out if it has a shim or low comp pistons. Both only require 91 fuel. Ride the sled to make sure it makes advertised boost(no leaks). If you do buy it, get rid of the stock Yamaha track. They were too soft. Just fold over under boost. Change oil and filter once a year and enjoy. If you are a bigger guy, go for it. You can learn to handle it. If you do buy it, you'll learn to use as much power as you need to perform the required task not just pin it all the time. You will develop a 4 stroke thumb. If you haven't ridden one before it will intimidate you the first few rides!! :amen::face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-hap
Which kit is it? Should be either 260 or 310 hp. newer kit uses a bigger turbo(19T) for 290 or 340 hp.

Last edited:

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
I picked up a totally done out apex mid way through the season sold the t-nytro in the fall before the viper killed the value to much, rode the kids pro abit but missed the boost.. Apexes are really cheap here couldnt pass it up, alpine front mount turbo, m-10, boost it fuel system, cr tunnel etc etc thing runs awesome just like the nytro did, lots of mid range grunt like others have said shes a handful in tight trees have to realy keep your momentum up typical thumper sled, got some 8" slydogs skis should help keep the front up better.. Its a fun ride even though shes heavy and with more seat time will only get better. Id go for it if price is right and turbo install is good..

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I got a 06 apex with a 290 mcx kit. And I can say this much so far...

I LOVE IT!

and I'd also say I'd never ride a nytro....

so anyways the apex handles like a older m8, before this newer generation I'd say, As i went from a ski doo rev to the apex, had to get used to it, but riding a ski doo and trying a m8 I could never handle that, but the apex to a m8 you feel right at home....

so overall handling, Yep your riding a heavier sled. but you do have a fk ton of power... thats lots of fun!, i can sidehill my apex pretty damn good.. of course it comes down to the snow... as long as its powdery and not rock hard... your golden, I was playing in tight trees and well just way out of my comfort zone anyways lol.... sled did it though!, I remember I was following 2 guys up around a kinda big hillside, some old grown in mining road nobody takes. it was completely filled in with snow and so we had to side hill it for about a good 2 km's. straight side hilling up and down dodging trees and willows. I was following 2 m8's. And I was right there behind them the whole time, and they said wow never woulda thought that big heavy beast would make er.... but she did!

but yeah I'm not sure what to say lol. Theres a lot of mods for the sled to take weight off, rear skid Is like 30-40 pounds???, Uhm the drop brackets are solid steel, get rid of them and save like 15+ pounds. and theres other its or bits too...

but yeah For me its hands down the apex over a nytro. They are just the weirdest things to ride and so unpredictable... but the new viper thats out... I'm eyeing it I wont lie ha ha! until then... its apex or bust for me :)

oh also i heard supposedly yamaha for next year is bringing back the apex in place of the nytro??? :face-icon-small-sho

V
Apr 10, 2008
Enderby B.C.
Thanks

I am not a big fan of tree riding, and for the most part, I want a reliable turn key sled with big power.
I rode a turbo vector before and while I loved the power, by noon I was spent.
I heard the apex is easier to maneuver. If it is...I will be happy..

What kind of riding do you do? If you like to tree ride, you will be worn out at the end of the day. The weight and power can be tiring. The motor sits high so sidehilling isn't a problem. I lost count of how many guys jumped on my Apex and then tipped over when they wanted it up on one ski. If the turbo was installed and set up correctly, it's a gas and go sled. For years!! Grease the suspension to keep water out. I never had to change a belt(8dn yammi belt) and I've had 4 turbo Yamahas. The bottom end torque is very easy on belts. Find out if it has a shim or low comp pistons. Both only require 91 fuel. Ride the sled to make sure it makes advertised boost(no leaks). If you do buy it, get rid of the stock Yamaha track. They were too soft. Just fold over under boost. Change oil and filter once a year and enjoy. If you are a bigger guy, go for it. You can learn to handle it. If you do buy it, you'll learn to use as much power as you need to perform the required task not just pin it all the time. You will develop a 4 stroke thumb. If you haven't ridden one before it will intimidate you the first few rides!! :amen::face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-hap
Which kit is it? Should be either 260 or 310 hp. newer kit uses a bigger turbo(19T) for 290 or 340 hp.

V
Apr 10, 2008
Enderby B.C.
Got her home today!

I'm pretty stoked, as she is in my workshop now.
I narrowed the ski stance to 37" and I will pull the sway bar in the morning. Don't know why it was still hooked up?
I will try to to take her out for a shake down run too if Im lucky ( I have lots of work around the yard)

It has pretty tall bar riser, but its angled back towards the rider.
Whats everyones view....is it better to push it forward?
Ill post some pics soon.

Premium Features