• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Apex chain tension

T
Dec 2, 2007
My question is how tight to run the chain on an 06 apex with reverse and a rearmount MCX? Does finger tight then back off 1/8 turn sound right?

S
Nov 26, 2007
spring creek, nv.
with a turbo I don,t follow the yamaha spec,s I run it tight no play in the chain, finger tight then 1/4 to 1/2 turn with a wrench, 1400 boosted miles on my nytro no problems, did the same on my trx.

A
Dec 12, 2007
BC
I always used to followed the manual (1/2 turn back). broke my chain twice in 2 years doing that.

this is the first I hear about no slack.

anyone else keeping it that tight?

W

woodies

yes sir and check it ever chance i get! will be cheaper to replace yearly than blow a chaincase to IMO.

J
Nov 27, 2007
tension

I run mine finger tight and check it every 400 miles. Replace it before you get over 2000 miles on it, I try for 1500 because that gives me room to be lazy. So far so good.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
also, a question on this one... are you guys all runing 15 wide chains and hyvo gears?

Im running my boosted rxdoo through the doo chaincase, dont worry, the RT ones are build a lot bigger then the rev, but i need to swap gears as it is, so I want to know what to put in it.

D
Apr 13, 2009
Armpit of the US
My question is how tight to run the chain on an 06 apex with reverse and a rearmount MCX? Does finger tight then back off 1/8 turn sound right?
well tension may vary from front mount to rear mount application. with a rear mount at 14lbs of boost back off 3/16 but with a front mount maybe a 1/8 to be safe. 18-20 lbs of boost on a rear mount setup you want to be right around 1/8 backed off but with a front mount setup 1/16...any other boost levels above there should be finger tight and add a 1/2 turn because the chain stretches like a mother when boosting at these levels. hope this is helpful :beer;

Premium Features