• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone watching the NCAA wrestling tonight?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I was going through the few hundy pictures last night. Looks like I need to post up the good ones.

Everything was so casual among wrestlers...and I loved that. The big dogs are just like us....wrestlers at a big tournament with big crowds. They grew up with it that way and are still used to it. So used to it that so they didn't go hide elsewhere.

There were 27 mats at the LV Convention center and you could walk around each and every one of them and stand matside during every match. Whether the kid was a 35 pound 4 year old or a 28 year old 2x World Champ and Olympic gold medalist, you were 10 feet from the action if it was on your side of the mat.

I tripped over David Taylor sitting in a chair. I turned and bumped into Terry Brands in his Klim jacket. I caught Cael looking at my tattoo on my leg.
30 seconds into our chat, Henry Cejudo told me he loves Montana and instantly offered his phone number so he could come to our wrestling camp next summer. LOL

Nobody was too cool to even just say Hi and give encouragement to my son or yack about wrestling. They were all willing to shake hands and yack.
Talked to Steven Fraser, Josh Koscheck, Daniel Cormier, Joe Warren, Brandon Slay, Zeke Jones, Jake Varner, Troy and Terry Steiner, Tom and Terry Brands, Royce Alger, Kerry McCoy, Joe Heskett, Dremiel Beyers, J. Robinson, David Taylor, Donny Pritzlaf, Jordan Burroughs, Henry Cejudo, Cael Sanderson, Matt McDonough...I wish I could remember all the rest...there were more. It was so casual and so cool.

Oh, and Jake Herbert joined our Hair Club. The first celebrity participant.

LOL

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Upset? I know what your saying Scott, but could you really consider it a upset? Taylor is a freaking stud!!!! I know he doesn't have the international experience, but he is tough. The only thing is Taylor got the two cradles. If he is going to beat Burroughs he needs to get more takedowns.

No doubt Taylor is a stud. He's Cael trained...and he wrestles JUST like him. BUT he IS the underdog of this match-up.
2x World Champ and Olympic Gold (and a 76-1 international record) vs a 22 year old college senior. :)
Still, had Taylor won, I would have been witness to an epic win by Taylor and an epic loss by Burroughs...and it would have been epic!! LOL

I watched some of the matches and kept thinking...... One of these guys/gals isn't going to make the Olympic team. Thats unreal, they are all elite athletes. I know. That's crazy. When I saw the semifinal match-ups, I took pictures of the big reader board screen. The matchups were world-class. LITERALLY.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Holy crap, I got lucky.

I sat down to woof down some supper tonight. Thought I would flip on USN, maybe they will have a replay of the matches. I dvr'd it, but it's on my office tv.

Go to the channel and it's gone. It had been in for a free preview week. What are the odds, it was free preview week, the same week as Vegas.

Did you ask Brands what he rides? He seems like a Cat guy. I want to hear his preride pep talk.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
LOL. I wanted to talk to him about the Klim gear, but didn't want to seem like a rabid stalker.

I did post that screen shot from the NCAAs on twitter and mentioned Klim, Hawkeye Wrestling. I did get a reply. Not sledders, just like the gear. They've got a whole bunch of it with Hawkeye logos and Olympic rings on it. They all love it.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Yeah USN had a free preview that week.

They did it that way intentionally.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
This guy from MN makes killer videos. http://t.co/TnHCPzHond

Yeah, he does. If your on FaceBook, like the Minnesota wrestling page. The videos get passed on. I really like the one from last fall, where they were running on the steps; and fall colors in the trees. I agree they do a great job.

I often wonder if the guy that puts these together was one of my elementary school teachers. You used to see him at all the Minnesota meets with a still camera in his hand.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Trying to throw up some pics a few at a time.

Gilmore Summit, between Leadore and Mud Lake, Idaho.

Utah state line, WAY after dark.

St. George, UT.

Arizona State line.

VEGAS, BABY!!!!

compressedIMG_2542.jpg compressedIMG_2544.jpg compressedIMG_2549.jpg compressedIMG_2552.jpg compressedIMG_2553.jpg compressedIMG_2563.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
25 mats on the floor and then 2 elevated mats for championships under the lights.

My son meeting Zeke Jones (US national team coach new ASU head coach. He was also the coach of our new high school coach back at West Virginia)

Veteran's championship match at about 152lbs. I'm inspired. The oldest wrestler there was 76 years old this year. He had the youngest beat by 71 years.

The boys meeting Joe Warren. Dude, Joe was TOTALLY cool. Still Joe, but totally cool. BTW, anyone catch his fight last weekend?

compressedIMG_2571.jpg compressedIMG_2572.jpg compressedIMG_2585.jpg compressedIMG_2588.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Good stuff.

ON our way to weigh-ins.

Montana is represented on the Jr Greco scene. BIG TIME!!! (He placed a big junior worlds tourney in Australia earlier this spring.)
Barrett Stanghill went undefeated and was the OW of the Jr Greco tourney. Keep your eyes on this 19 year old kid, he's going BIG places. He could be the next Jake Diechtler (without the concussions).

Sweet Greco gut wrench.

US Open national champion!!! CONGRATS BUDDY!!!!!

compressedIMG_2596.jpg compressedIMG_2619.jpg compressedIMG_2644.jpg compressedIMG_2652.jpg

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The boys found the brass buns at Riviera. HAHA

Tyrell Todd, from Bozeman, MT. Was an all-American at Michigan. No currently an assistant coach at ASU. He's got a wicked finish to his tree-top single leg. Some guys wake afterward wondering what happened. LOL

compressedIMG_2676.jpg compressedIMG_2679.jpg compressedIMG_2703.jpg

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
J.O. getting it done.

Logan Stieber moving on in the 1/4 finals. (Next year he could become only the 4th EVER 4x NCAA champion.

compressedIMG_2721.jpg compressedIMG_2741.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Terry Brands still wearing his KLIM gear.
Who is the guy with him?

compressedIMG_2761.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Jordan Oliver again.

And David Taylor (Cael Clone)

And some kid trying to defend a front gut wrench.

compressedIMG_2770.jpg compressedIMG_2776.jpg compressedIMG_2777.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
JB on deck!!!

This pale bald dude in blue didn't know what hit him. But he gets his 30 seconds with JB!!

compressedIMG_2778.jpg compressedIMG_2779.jpg compressedIMG_2781.jpg compressedIMG_2782.jpg compressedIMG_2785.jpg compressedIMG_2786.jpg compressedIMG_2790.jpg

Premium Features