• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone own a BACKCOUNTRY??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just curious.
Anyone here on SnoWest Own and Ride a BACKCOUNTRY?
I am thinking of picking one up as a general purpose all around sled for NON-RIDERS next season.
Something I could take total NEWBS on and introduce them to sledding.

jh7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 2, 2023
ND/MT
Long time reader, first time poster. I've had 3: a 2014 Renegade Backcountry, a 2021 Backcountry 850, and a 2022 Backcountry X 850. Both 850's with the 1.6" track. Only trail riding we do is to get to the good off-trail areas. They're great sleds. Handle well on trail, and aren't so tippy off trail (perk for new riders). Of course if there's 3' of powder they will struggle, but that means it's a pin and wiggle kind of day! Started mountain riding by renting an 800 Polaris RMK, and then 2 Summit 850 154's before buying the 2014. I have way more fun riding these than I did than any of the bigger sleds, and feel I've become a better rider from being on these. I have a friend that wants to get into sledding, and we're recommending one to him. I should be able to answer any questions you have.

IMG_5621.jpgIMG_4564.jpgIMG_4560.jpg

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
Very popular in the midwest. They don't make sense to me and I would much rather be on a summit even for trail riding. I call it the sled that does everything but nothing worth a ****. I would recommend a summit 146 over a back country for trail riding out west but to be honest if a beginner is going off trail the 165 is the best choice for the floativity imo

P
Mar 14, 2010
I have a 2022 Backcountry X 146 with 2" track Great sled. Added hitch for getting firewood and extra seat for hauling kids when needed. Has been a great sled for guests. Doesn't seem to overheat and can handle most situations. We have a cabin in MT that it stays at

P
Dec 15, 2018
Curious as my wife only really likes the trail. Would a proper trail sled be that much more comfortable? I move never riden one? Why would these be better than a mountain sled for a new or older or whatever? Just curious

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Have a friend that bought the Back country 600 with a 2" track and he just loves it. Another couple have one for the wife and she rips on it once again, another 600. A third couple bought an 850 with all the fancy stuff and the jury is still out with them, but the previous owner thought is was the best thing since sliced bread.

P
Mar 14, 2010
My 12 year old daughter has the 600 and the 850 is the extra and sled for my wife We run the lake a lot also and it is super stable. I also like the ability as a utility sled. Ill run it l to go for a big ride

Depends if you want a back up or not The Summit 600 may fit the bill better now

800Gader

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2005
Wisconsin
Wifey rides a 23 Backcountry, 850, XRS, 154 x 2 1/2. She rides 75% trail, but loves to jump off and play where ever she can. Sled goes anywhere and still makes a great trail sled. If I was limited to one sled to do it all, this would be the best choice.

CookeCityRider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Powell, WY.
Bought my wife a 2023 Backcountry Sport 600 with 2 inch track. It’s my wives first sled in many decades and she loves it!
It’s more stable so she feels comfortable driving it places she would never take a narrower Summit.
The sled has plenty of cooling so she doesn’t have to be as concerned with overheating on icy trails like my Summit.
Now it’s no Summit Turbo but acceleration and speed is decent for 600.

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
Probably going to snowcheck a 24 backcountry 600 with the 2" track for the wife. It would be way more similar to the 600 summit she has now. I know based on her riding style that she'd hate the new summits. I have a 23 summit 850 and love it but it's definitely not a sled for her.

A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada
In mild to moderate terrain the 38"-40" front is easier to handle for newbs. The 2" track works pretty good all around. They are actually better very rought trail sleds than MXZ / Renegades too (think ungroomed mountain access trails).

The MY24 Backcountry all have running boards similar to G4 summit SP. The low and wide running boards of previous backcountry XRS would hinder their deep snow capability a lot.

Make sure to get the removable snow flap.

Overall a good choice. 36" curved a-arm from the accessory catalog can help them be more nimble, skis in the center positions would be like 37" so pretty stable, good ski rubber life and less plowing from the a-arms when not in wheelie mode.

jh7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 2, 2023
ND/MT
Do it! I seriously think these machines are underrated for what they will do, and I have the (handicapped) 1.6" track on mine. I don't understand those that call these a "trail machine", only for the midwest, etc. If nothing else, you'll have a machine in the fleet to have more fun on if there are poor snow conditions. Heck, I'd even offer to come down to Island Park/West Yellowstone if you'd want to meet up for a ride one day for some first-hand experience.

Also have the removable snowflap that was mentioned above, but not really sure on how much difference that actually makes...

A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada
Do it! I seriously think these machines are underrated for what they will do, and I have the (handicapped) 1.6" track on mine. I don't understand those that call these a "trail machine", only for the midwest, etc. If nothing else, you'll have a machine in the fleet to have more fun on if there are poor snow conditions. Heck, I'd even offer to come down to Island Park/West Yellowstone if you'd want to meet up for a ride one day for some first-hand experience.

Also have the removable snowflap that was mentioned above, but not really sure on how much difference that actually makes...
If you ask how much a difference a removed snow flap does, think about the trend of current short tunnels. It is MAJOR.

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
IMO, if an unexperienced rider is riding a Backcountry sled off trail he/she is going to struggle with it, most of the guys I know with Backcountry sleds know how to ride off trail and snow depth makes no difference with them. I considered getting one for my wife but after talking with her about it the Backcountry didn't seem like the right sled for how she rides so we ended up buying her a 2022 Summit 154 with the 600R and she absolutely loves that machine. Maybe switching tracks on the Backcountry will make it easier to ride off trail but having to do that to a brand new machine when you can just buy a Summit which will do a much better job seems like a waste of money. Just my $.02.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
IMO, if an unexperienced rider is riding a Backcountry sled off trail he/she is going to struggle with it, most of the guys I know with Backcountry sleds know how to ride off trail and snow depth makes no difference with them. I considered getting one for my wife but after talking with her about it the Backcountry didn't seem like the right sled for how she rides so we ended up buying her a 2022 Summit 154 with the 600R and she absolutely loves that machine. Maybe switching tracks on the Backcountry will make it easier to ride off trail but having to do that to a brand new machine when you can just buy a Summit which will do a much better job seems like a waste of money. Just my $.02.
the 2024 Backcountry comes with a 2.0 track.
A reasonable compromise for On & Off trail riding.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
The backcountry gets a lot of love here in the midwest. But just like the Switchback Assault its OK at everything but not that good at everything either. If that makes sense. The ol Jack of all trades master of none.

I assume you would also be looking for this is 154 trim which means you are at X-RS level. Which is more money than a Summit X. I can't imagine you want a 146 for a new person to learn while the rest of yoru group is running 165's.

I honestly think that new riders would rather ride a Summit with t-motion then a fixed skid (You even didn't like the way the fixed skid tipped over and you have lots of years riding). I would try and find a basic Summit or Summit edge.

Premium Features