• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone make there own fuel?

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
I was just wondering if anyone makes their own diesel from left over oils and how to go about doing it and if it is worth while? Thanks!

Nov 27, 2007
ive done a little digging into it and from what ive read, i think its worth it.

only down fall is they are kinda spendy to get the machine, as well as the extra time taken out of the day to mix everything and check everything.

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
it works well but you also have to find places that will give you oil. most of the places i found were already getting paid for the used oil. so if i wanted it i would have to pay for it. be sure you check methanol and lye prices in your area to make sure it is worth it. for me it came out at 80 or more cents or so for a gallon. it is not useable in the winter unless you have heated fuel lines...so that was the biggest drawback for me. not to mention i never really felt safe putting it in a common rail.they already have injector issues and that is the last thing i wanted to deal with.

D
Nov 12, 2008
biodiesel...

I have made around 800 to 1000 gallons of homebrew biodiesel with KOH and methanol process. I also built my own processor in it's own 10X12 shed. Ran it in a 2005 Dodge cummins and a 2003 VW jetta. Absolutely no problems. there are tons of forums, do your research...can cost lots to fix your mistakes. If you have questions just ask. NO COLD WEATHER USE, if your are using "used oil"

D
Dec 4, 2007
Central Lower Michigan
My upstate neighbor runs the stuff all of the time. He gets oil from establishments all over northern Michigan. Good thing its a 3/4 ton cause they payloads on the runs get heavy. He swears by it.....His truck puts out a french fry smell when he pulls in to my drive.......And the truck is yellow (go figure)

He has wind generators and solar power as well,

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I run straight WVO in my TDI. Been doing it for 2 years now and all through winter months. It took me a while to find a good supplier but once I did he is the only one I get it from. He keeps me in free fuel all the time. The process is very simple, pout it into barrel turn on heaters, push through 3 water filters and into car. no mess no fuss. I run 80 gallons a month of free fuel. Keep in mind 50 x 43 MPG=2150 or 25800 miles a year on FREE fuel:D That is 1500-1800$$ per year of savings! So yes its worth it.

Premium Features