• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone build a CFI 800 with the new IQR crank?

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
So did anyone else notice that massively lightened crank in the IQR this year? Some guy said 2.5 pounds dropped from the crank. Anyone get a chance to build a motor with one yet? It can go right in the pro cases...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I noticed

I noticed
From my 09-23-2013 Post

For 2014... The IQR's feature a 2.5 lb lighter crank with the same stroke... HMM?? Who makes that one... MAPE-USA, FUJI... MAPE-It???
They went with a "PORK CHOP" design... which may or may not have the low vibration attributes that the consumer market demands (in contrast to the race market)... and may or may not function with the different dynamic balance attributes of a larger bore/heavier piston of the 800cc mill.

picture.php

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I'll have to have a conversation with Indy Dan over the summer about long rodding one of those for the 400# wet weight RTR sled! Now if I could just chase down some new / unused PRO-TI titanium connecting rods for that!

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
So did anyone else notice that massively lightened crank in the IQR this year? Some guy said 2.5 pounds dropped from the crank. Anyone get a chance to build a motor with one yet? It can go right in the pro cases...

shhhhhhhhhh

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
It's to bad speedwerx didn't deal with polaris they offer for the cats a lighter crank mod with titanium rods, saves 4 lbs, that's a lot of rotating weight!!!

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
What about the IQR Cases? Magnesium?

Along these same lines; cutting weight off of the major components. Can anyone confirm or deny that the IQR cases from '09 to present are actually magnesium instead of aluminum or an al-mag alloy? The brand new un-fired '09 I have sure looks like the case is indeed a Dow coated Magnesium (like the optional EDGE RMK chain cases).

If that is the case: How close are the cases to being interchangeable? I have heard the stator end may be machined differently for the race ignition, is it retro-fittable back to CFI to shave off an additional 2-3 pounds?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I never get tired of hearing about this unicorn sled you're building. Please tell us more. If you could find 10-20 more threads to mention it in that'd be awesome.

Patience Grasshopper! Like Rome it will not be built overnight, the research alone has consumed me for longer than you have been alive!

As a note: Your constant sour replies never get old either, my friend, but I really don't care what you think. You can badger me all you want, hope it crutches up your fragile male ego and makes you feel better about yourself.

I will make it happen, one part at a time. I have been sourcing parts for a few years now, convincing suppliers / vendors that the market is there if they tool up to produce the parts to my specifications.

I could cobble a sled or two together like you do every year and have it weigh, perform, and look like every other sled you walk across, but that is not how I do things. I carefully scrutinize every piece and make it better, lighter, stronger, and more efficient than it was. Fixing any identified or perceived weaknesses. Increasing the entire sleds efficiency in the process.

I may not be able to ride like Burandt or the rest of the video yuppies but I am very good at what I do, and my passion for advancing the technology and materials used in making sleds will not be swayed by a snot nosed kid with no respect.

Rant over, thanks for reading!

I
Nov 26, 2007
Patience Grasshopper! Like Rome it will not be built overnight, the research alone has consumed me for longer than you have been alive!

As a note: Your constant sour replies never get old either, my friend, but I really don't care what you think. You can badger me all you want, hope it crutches up your fragile male ego and makes you feel better about yourself.

I will make it happen, one part at a time. I have been sourcing parts for a few years now, convincing suppliers / vendors that the market is there if they tool up to produce the parts to my specifications.

I could cobble a sled or two together like you do every year and have it weigh, perform, and look like every other sled you walk across, but that is not how I do things. I carefully scrutinize every piece and make it better, lighter, stronger, and more efficient than it was. Fixing any identified or perceived weaknesses. Increasing the entire sleds efficiency in the process.

I may not be able to ride like Burandt or the rest of the video yuppies but I am very good at what I do, and my passion for advancing the technology and materials used in making sleds will not be swayed by a snot nosed kid with no respect.

Rant over, thanks for reading!

So to sum up your post, you have the most unique, highly specialized imaginary sled ever not built. Congrats.

Powderforlife907

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2011
So to sum up your post, you have the most unique, highly specialized imaginary sled ever not built. Congrats.

ICR have you seen burandts 399 lb Pro with oil, coolant and not to mention it has a turbo.... So loudhandles 400 RTR isn't that mystical.

I
Nov 26, 2007
ICR have you seen burandts 399 lb Pro with oil, coolant and not to mention it has a turbo.... So loudhandles 400 RTR isn't that mystical.

Burandts didn't have fuel, so add 70lbs. But yes I saw it, which is different from loud handles in that we've seen nothing from him, he's acquired a couple parts over several years, not exactly ready to ride...is it?

Powderforlife907

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2011
Burandts didn't have fuel, so add 70lbs. But yes I saw it, which is different from loud handles in that we've seen nothing from him, he's acquired a couple parts over several years, not exactly ready to ride...is it?

Wow, arent you a troll. I never said it had fuel. I said it had oil, coolant, and a turbo... How much weight does the turbo kit add? 20 maybe 30lbs?

2Quickrides

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2012
Edmonton
I never get tired of hearing about this unicorn sled you're building. Please tell us more. If you could find 10-20 more threads to mention it in that'd be awesome.

How about you give him $50k so he can build it right away just to satisfy you? Take a pill, maybe go back on the breast cause clearly you were breast fed for WAY too long.
Not everyone has the money to just throw together a hundred project sleds a year like Burandt. I've got big plans for a project too (building myself just like loudhandle, not a team of people), guess if I can't build it in the next month I better not say anything or ask any questions in fear of upsetting your fragile pathetic disposition.......

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
It's to bad speedwerx didn't deal with polaris they offer for the cats a lighter crank mod with titanium rods, saves 4 lbs, that's a lot of rotating weight!!!

There is a cost and benefit to everything.... a lighter rotating assembly is not better in all aspects... transitional throttle response could be better with a lighter crank... but it would most likely vibrate more and have other characteristics that may be better, or not.

The only think that would be the "proof in the pudding" (as the OP pointed out) would be if someone were to build one or more and let a lot of people form an opinion about it by actually putting it on the snow and letting lots ride it.

2Quickrides

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2012
Edmonton
Really guys???? I hope you are just messin with each other and are actually friends.

Bad morning.....and to have yet another tech thread get derailed and have to sort through crap (yes, I realize I didn't help at all) because someone feels they're internet king and calls out someone who can't build a big project sled in a month is ridiculous. It's the very reason forums as a whole are dropping and suffering. Especially someone who regularly helps with knowledgable posts.

Ok, rant over, lets stick to the topic. Actually interested in the possibilities. At the very least a big bore build. But as MH said, lighter isn't always better. These cranks aren't built to last forever, they're built to be fast racers that don't require centrifugal force to maintain rpm at all and get rebuilt very often. (Sounds like most mountain sleds these days, but these will take that to the nth degree)

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anch, AK
Chad,
The 14 iqr spools much faster than the 13. In appearance the 14 bottom end looks different as well. My guess is the 14 iqr will be the 15 600 pro direct injected sled.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
My source confirmed that the 600 DI will sport that crank as will the 800 DI engine. The 600 is a confirmed release for '15 but the 800 may not be released until '16. So chad if your patient that setup will come to you, prepackaged! There have been a few race teams running this crank for at least three years with zero issues. It's going to be interesting when they finally pull back the curtain and show us the '15's.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Bad morning.....and to have yet another tech thread get derailed and have to sort through crap (yes, I realize I didn't help at all) because someone feels they're internet king and calls out someone who can't build a big project sled in a month is ridiculous. It's the very reason forums as a whole are dropping and suffering. Especially someone who regularly helps with knowledgable posts.

Yes words typed on a computer over the WWW can be very hurtful.:face-icon-small-dis

Premium Features