• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any good maps for 2010 yz450f timbersled?

Y

yamaharida111

Oct 19, 2012
Im having trouble figuring out what would be the best map to run on my yz450 with a 121" kit. I run a pretty aggressive race map right now getting about 55-56 HP, but a little concerned with how I have it leaned out especially during full throttle. I have heard that the FI bikes get gas into the oil from running too lean at times, so if any one can help would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Andy

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I have heard that the FI bikes get gas into the oil from running too lean at times,

.... what?

they can be leaned out a LONG way from where they are normally. seen plenty running in the 10's and 11's for afr. 12.5 wot would be awesome with say 13.5 cruisng and idle to keep economy decent.

Y

yamaharida111

Oct 19, 2012
the guys at motion sports in CDA said with the FI bikes running so cold that I should change the oil after every ride or so because some how gas gets in the oil... idk how its possible just what they told me when I bought the kit

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
What we've determined is a combination of several things. First off, they run rich, not lean. Too much fuel caused by a combination of things. First, the EFI temp sensor in your air box is reading intake air temps. The winter temps are obviously cold, that triggers the FI to add a bunch of fuel. The lower unit is in a snow bath all day and is covered in an ice burg. That cools your oil. Cold oil in your valve train and cylinder under your piston causes poor ring seal. With cold oil and poor ring seal, and the FI adding fuel running in a "cold mode", you get a ton of piston wash and end up with gas in your oil. And the final factor that compounds the problem, is stock air boxes eventually fill up with snow reducing air flow. And/or the air box is so tightly sealed with foam, the foam eventually compacts with snow and again, air flow is lost, compounding the "rich" over fueled condition.
The good news is this condition is nearly corrected with a couple simple mod's. #1- install the KTM 70 degree "C" thermostat to keep engine temps up, #2- Install a good intake system to keep an abundant supply of air to your engine, "off-sets" the rich condition and excess fuel, and #3- install an EFI tuner the Dobec Gen-4, or the "Bazzaz" self mapper and correct the cold temp/excess fuel condition to an AFR of ideally 12.8 to 13.0
I am currently working with Francois at Bazzaz in developing a simple "Snow-Bike Box", that will be a simple plug in and go box. No mapping or tuning required. As soon as we have sufficient snow, I will be mapping and collecting data on a test unit for the new box. It should be available later this season.
When riding, remember your "cold starts". Give your entire engine time to warm up completely, which includes your oil.

Last edited:
P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Just put a Air fuel Gauge on here and use the yamaha tuner to get it to where you are happy -- If you are worried about it. Takes the guess work out of it.
That is what I do with my SC sled.
I just cranked the WR to the highest map and taped the Rads of about 40% to keep here warm. There are several YZ450s running here and they do the same thing.

Y

yamaharida111

Oct 19, 2012
the other thing that I think works much better( at least for motocross) is putting on the twin air powerflow kit for the 10-13 yz because it make the airbox much bigger and has way more surface area on the new cylinder style filter than the stock flat filter. The kit is a bit of a hassle to put on because of some slight modification required to the original airbox plastics. Dont know yet how well it will work for the snow...but made a noticeable difference in the dirt and was easier to put on the pre filter Timbersled provided.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to put some pre-filter screen on my radiator shrouds or make some type of deflector. Any suggestions??

Oct 16, 2012
BC
and #3- install an EFI tuner or the "Bazzaz" self mapper and correct the cold temp/excess fuel condition to an AFR of ideally 12.8 to 13.0
I am currently working with Francois at Bazzaz in developing a simple "Snow-Bike Box", that will be a simple plug in and go box.

Is the BAZZAZ self mapper a stand alone? (11 kx450) or do you have to run it with a Z-Fi?

M
Jan 4, 2008
My friend and I have also been trying to
Figure out the best way to attach the
Filter skin to the intake holes. He showed
Me a picture of a foam filter plug that
PC racing makes so dust and dirt won't
Go thru. But it looked really restrictive.
Also thought about the twin air set up
As well. I saw on outerwears website that
You can buy a filter skin specifically for
The 10/13 yz450fs. I might order one of
Those and try it. Both of my riding
Buddies have Crf450s. So we are in new
Territory with the new Yamaha!
ThNks for the help all! Pray for snow!

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
Just put a Air fuel Gauge on here and use the yamaha tuner to get it to where you are happy -- If you are worried about it. Takes the guess work out of it.
That is what I do with my SC sled.
I just cranked the WR to the highest map and taped the Rads of about 40% to keep here warm. There are several YZ450s running here and they do the same thing.

The guys that are running the New styl YZ's have A/F Sensors on them? Where are they tapping in for power?

My friend and I have also been trying to
Figure out the best way to attach the
Filter skin to the intake holes. He showed
Me a picture of a foam filter plug that
PC racing makes so dust and dirt won't
Go thru. But it looked really restrictive.
Also thought about the twin air set up
As well. I saw on outerwears website that
You can buy a filter skin specifically for
The 10/13 yz450fs. I might order one of
Those and try it. Both of my riding
Buddies have Crf450s. So we are in new
Territory with the new Yamaha!
ThNks for the help all! Pray for snow!

I dont think the twin air set up will be very good in the snow, IF it plugs up it will be a pain to get cleaned out.

All I run is 2 layers of prefilter, the outerwears one that fits the cage, and the Tsled one wrapped around the whole cage. I guess it would be 3 if you count the prefilter on the shrouds.

Just get some thin aluminum strips and use it to sandwich the prefilter around the edges of the openings on the shrouds. then use a few rivets and some glue to secure it down and your done. Looks kinda funny but no big deal IMO.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Is the BAZZAZ self mapper a stand alone? (11 kx450) or do you have to run it with a Z-Fi?

Yes, you plug the self mapper into the Z-FI box and go ride. After you ride 20 minutes, you correct your AFR's to 13.0 then apply, then unplug and remove the self mapper completely if you like. There will be a stand alone Z-FI snow bike box coming out.

G
Mar 6, 2013
Someone link me to this KTM thermostat so I can order? Furthermore no one has a GTYR map? I got the airbox issues handles by gluing outerwear to the openings and installing the supplied cover for extra protection on the filter.

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
For the intake on my 2011 Yz450 I blocked the front intake holes and drilled holes on the side in a circle pattern. Then covered them in 3 inch round frog skins. There are 2 frog skins on each side which seemed to feed it enough air. Also used the outerwear pre filter to cover the basket. Be sure to have it all tucked in under the basket!

As for blocking a rad I ran into over heating issues (puked coolant all over) climbing a long steep hill this Saturday. I'm thinking a thermostat will be a better way to manage temps. I just have to find one....

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
Google the " Jay Marmont" map, maybe spelled wrong, and you should find it. Its pretty popular. Last year I bought a thermostat from a KTM dealer. $70.00 It had 4 hose barbs on it. Two outlets, I plugged one, and a bypass, that I also capped off. Problem was, caps eventually fail and leaked. So now, my friend bought a simple, inline thermostat off ebay that had come out of a 250 Kawi Ninja. $20.00 No extra ports to plug. It works great. It has a very small bypass around the stat. Too much bypass and eng will not warm up.

Premium Features