• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another 900 Build...SURE WHY NOT!!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Went to the powder coaters the other day, and his compressor went down, so the tunnel and rails are still waiting to get done...checked back again today...no progress...starting to get VERY irrated :argue:

hoping to have the engine and wiring installed within 2 weeks...will be picking up the billet front crossmember from a friend at the Puyallup Snow Show this weekend...and motor can be installed...along with some wiring to test fitment/routing issues...

got bored so messed with some stuff today..

installed the coils on the ECU bracket since the RAW hoop doesnt have the holding bracket...this also lets me keep the shorter plug wires, and will still be able to reach the plugs no problem...removed the exhuast solenoid from the coil bracket, bring the coils closer together for a cleaner look...YES, i will keep the exhaust valve solenoid and it will be plugged in the harness and tucked away, as the ex. valve will be plugged on the engine as is my other 900..

i have a belt cover for the RAW chassis that i will be using, i will mount the Capacitor on that since i put the coils where the cap goes...

i also ran some ground wires from the coils, to the ECU, and from the ECU to the chassis, and a ground wire from the VR to the chassis...the dragons were having ground issues, and this seems to be a great idea anyways..so might as well hook it up to be safe...

****also note, those with the 06 700/900...the way the VR is mounted from the factory, the VR wires will rub againist the fuel tank, they are literally smahsed together...and will eventually rub through the insulation and cause a major issue...if you look at how i mounted my VR, i rotated the bottom of the VR FWD, and this put the VR straight up and down...drill a new bottom hole, and mount the VR there...it gives the wiring ALOT more room, and they are no longer pressed againist the tank****

IMG_20101012_181917.jpg

IMG_20101012_181942.jpg

IMG_20101012_181929.jpg

installed an 09 dragon coolant bottle to get rid of the "plug" you have to do when removing the front radiator...much cleaner ;)

also powder coated my MAG side running board cooling tube, and mounted it againist the modified footwell section...looks pretty slick i think...

IMG_20101012_182244.jpg

IMG_20101012_181950.jpg

not much of an update...but about all i can until i get the new bearing kit from WPS (All Ballz Bearings) for the jackshaft/chaincase/driveshaft, and install the engine, and rear tunnel section and skid...

then i will be able to set it down as a roller and mess with the front end, plastic and adjust any fitment issues from there on...

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
STILL WAITING ON THE POWDER COATER FOR THE REAR TUNNEL, COOLING TUBES AND RAILS....but claims this weekend...yeh right...

so in the meantime....

i got the billet front crossmember brace made up and installed the engine...

IMG_20101024_131129.jpg

IMG_20101024_131156.jpg

i powder coated the billet SLP cylinder head orange a while back, but think i did it WAY too thin...i was running out of powder and tried to finsih it anyways...it chips off pretty easy...so might have to pull this season and redue it if it gets ugly...but im not too worried about it till then..

engineinstalled2.jpg

engineinstalled3.jpg

engineinstalled.jpg

mouned the coils on the back of the ECU, capacitor will be on belt cover, wired up the handle bars with warmers, grip, tether, handgaurds and extended brake lever...just need to adjust goldfinger an clean up the wiring a little on the bars and adjust the throttle linkage..

got everything wired up minus the hood of coarse...the stock wiring harness of coarse is a mess already, so it looks pretty FUGLY with such an open area now with the RAW hoop conversion, but its nice to get access to everything like this, lol...i am even debating modifing ALL the wiring on the belt cover like the dragons...its alot easier, and would make it alot cleaner...but DANG thats alot of work...lol...maybe next summer, lol!!

had a custom mud flap made for the VE tunnel... thanks to Matt @ http://greatlakesmudflaps.com/default.aspx he is a great guy and will do anything you can think of for the most part...his email is mattwilcox89@yahoo.com if you are interested in getting one..they are SICK..

PART_1287444415214.jpg

got a Boss Seat installed, love it...and it really looks nice with the look of the sled

IMG_20101018_175454.jpg

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
FINALLY!!

I powder coated my OWN PARTS at the local powder coaters...he walked me through his process, let me do it all, and even took some time and gave me some pointers, and some tricks you can do, even spot painting chips in powder coat..using Acetone and Powder Coat...pretty sweet if you ask me..

He said i am the only person he has EVER let use his equipment, use his shop, and do my own stuff...so i am extremely greatful...it was a blast, wish i could afford the equipment he has..

This is the last of the parts i needed to get powder coated (that i cant do myslef)..not the best lighting to show colors,but its SICK...

--VE rear tunnel section
--166 Ice Age Tipped Rails
--VE running board coolers

i also just got my ALL BALLS bearing kits for the jackshaft/driveshaft, so i can install the secondary, jackshaft, chaincase, driveshaft, speedo housing, and assemble the rear skid, and rear tunnel section and cooling tubes..

so hopefully i will get most of it going ASAP...set the sled as a roller and mock the gauges, lights, and stick some fuel in and make sure she runs great and doesnt throw any codes...

but unfortunately..i have been seeing ALOT of other sleds going to orange/black now..so kinda disappointed in that :(

IMG_20101030_1751121.jpg

IMG_20101030_1722041.jpg

IMG_20101030_1721301.jpg

IMG_20101030_1721221.jpg

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
they looks sweet sean!!!!

don't forget who started the orange thing ;)

thanks BD..and yep, you hooked me with your damn a-arms..once i did my zx9r ninja, i had to do more, lol..

The prettier you make it the more it hurts to see you ride them hard... (insert truck joke here)

Lookin good!

lol..i hate you, ;)

Freaking awesome sean... I like the level of involvement .... maybe they will keep you stateside now so you can Pow Coat tank parts and landing gear!!

LOL...yeh i wish....as long as they pay me good, ill stick around, but being in iraq is a good place for fat guys like me to lose weight, HAHA...

F

f15ejedi

Oct 6, 2008
Anchorage Alaska
For those of you that have powdercoated your A-arms do they chip up at all? I have a friend that has a powdercoat shop and he did an old lil-red wagon that belongs to my son and that thing is bullet-proof. But I don't ride it through alders/scrub and the occasional small tree (Sean) at 40 mph either. Just thought I might ask him to do them since they are going to be off anyway. Only cost me some beer.

Last edited:
B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
ok sean where is the progress on this beast? are you going to get it done this season? :laugh:

got mine done and ready to rock, heading to the snowies over thanksgiving to "break" it in lol

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
For those of you that have powdercoated your A-arms do they chip up at all? I have a friend that has a powdercoat shop and he did an old lil-red wagon that belongs to my son and that thing is bullet-proof. But I don't ride it through alders/scrub and the occasional small tree (Sean) at 40 mph either. Just thought I might ask him to do them since they are going to be off anyway. Only cost me some beer.

yeh i think its WELL worth powder coating your stock a-arms, plus they look better and are very strong as long as the prep and finsih is done correctly during powder coating process...i have done LOTS of parts myslef, and 99% of them have lasted through all my abuse...if i have any ;)

ok sean where is the progress on this beast? are you going to get it done this season? :laugh:

got mine done and ready to rock, heading to the snowies over thanksgiving to "break" it in lol

LOL...SHUT YOUR FACE, i am waiting on a few small parts from polaris, then i can drop in the skid, need to get the cluth balanced still, do a run up and check the gauges, if all good, install plastic, front end, and few small things..

but my hold up now is...i used standard rivets on the rear of the VE tunnel, well they are too long and they hit the U-Cooler, there is litterally like 1/8" max clearence between the u-cooler and the sides of the tunnel in the back...so i might have to get the solid rivets that VE used but then i need to buy them and the tools to install them...UGH!!

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
Get on it Sean!

All I have for mine so far is a Skinz rear bumper, side panels with vents and some Walker Evan rear take-offs from an Assault. Should be a pretty quick and easy switch out on all accounts!

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Every time I think I have everything on mine covered you guys inform me of something else I need to check and replace. By my calculations mine will be ready to go by December 2011.:face-icon-small-ton

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
Every time I think I have everything on mine covered you guys inform me of something else I need to check and replace. By my calculations mine will be ready to go by December 2011.:face-icon-small-ton

You'll get there! Get the major things out the way right away then you can pick up the little stuff when you can/want. Pretty soon you can worry about the extra stuff and making it pretty like Sean with his impressive homebrew powder-coating.

It can be a long road but take the experience these guys have, they are more than willing to share. I started this dance not too long ago myself.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
LOL...

Z...you will never be done, trust me..

ghost...your sweet, now i should start some home-brew BEER now too...that would make for some quality work in the garage for sure...lol..

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
Just don't drink and ride bud!

I have tasted more than a few home-brews, its not easy to get it right time after time! Plus it will just detract from your sleds!

Fun fact- I actually work in a liquor store at home, family owned with good hours for college, not so good for riding.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Just don't drink and ride bud!

I have tasted more than a few home-brews, its not easy to get it right time after time! Plus it will just detract from your sleds!

Fun fact- I actually work in a liquor store at home, family owned with good hours for college, not so good for riding.

1. never drink and drive..to much to lose ;)

2. i dont like dark beer, eeww...i like domestic delicous goodness!!

3. liquor store EH!!! Hmmm...so, sounds like a date to me!!

4. i went ahead and ate the "free dinner for Vets" today at golden corral...for us BOTH ;)

Premium Features