• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alternative impact arms coming loose every ride

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I smoked a hidden rock doing 30 which sent sled flyin- bent upper stud and slightly bent lower rod end. Arms still perfect. Quick replacement and back out ridin. Take a grinder to your carbides

Or better yet, throw the carbides away and put on wear bars. If you're really into weight, Dan sells Ti wear bars, but they don't last like steel.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
great luck hear. Dan does very good work. Trust me when i say i am hard on them. Running choly lower and upper.

With the axys spindle you have more leverage. Id call dan, tell him what happened and i guarantee he takes care of you. Just Run a normal ball joint if you think those studs won't work.

Do you think the stock parts would have failed? bet it would have been way more damage.

also, stainless is soft. Use a graded bolt with zinc coating. Yeah it may need a dab of oil once or twice a year.

Agreed, but depends on the grade of stainless, you go with 17-4 hardened and its stupid hard compared to 303,304,316 ect, tensile strength about 160,000 compared to 303 @ 73,000 and 4130 at 97,000 its pretty tuff stuff that 17-4

C

Combatdoc

Banned
Nov 1, 2019
I can't get the Alternative impact arms to stay tight, I've loctited the **** out of them, tightened them to the point where it feels uncomfortable and they still come loose. AND the titanium Spindle bolts BENT! How the hell does a titanium bolt bend inside of an aluminum hole? Shouldn't the aluminum hole wallow out before that titanium bolt gives? While I love the stance of the 36"
I have to tighten it every ride. And I wouldn't say I'm a hard core rider, more like average if that. And no I haven't hit anything to make it bend.
I'm becoming less and less impressed with this kit. I contacted Dan and his solution was to degrease it and loctite it some more. And to replace the titanium bolts is $20 each.

What are your thoughts?

Alt Impact is a **** company with little concern with craftsmanship. Dan will just tell you that he doesn’t have problems often and you are the rare exception when in reality if you talk to riders these arms are garbage just like dans bs customer service. you want to avoid issues then avoid this company.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I've had a few sets of his a-arms and was happy with them. As advertised, and fit and finish was excellent. I also was impressed with the time he took on the phone to explain his different rod-end options.

E
Aug 29, 2016
Buena Vista, CO
If your worried about nuts coming loose then paint mark them and you can visually see if they are starting to back out. I’m still using the same lower arm that bent when landing directly on a rock. Also- make sure the misalignment spacers aren’t broken!!!! I bounce off stuff all the time- shear a couple rod ends but quick swap then back to it

C
Feb 10, 2019
Saskatchewan
Also keep in mind that 99% of loctite applied is applied improperly. Ive been to Henkel Loctite training and found that 12yrs in a mechanics trade, I myself had been using loctite (of any color/strength) improperly.
Threads/surfaces that have had Loctite Klean N Prime have a much faster, stronger bond.
So the above information is just an FYI for everyone, and that before beating up on someone’s product, make sure you do your best, and educate yourself on products you’re using before blaming the parts for coming loose or failing.

C
Feb 21, 2008
Chanhassen MN
Red or even green loctite is always a yes on fasteners over M8

So far thankfully, I don't really have a problem with the rod ends themselves but the nuts holding them tight and the titanium spindle bolts are loose after every ride. Does anyone else with a Alt Impact kit have issues like that? Is red loctite the answer?

Premium Features