• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Airbags and compressor systems.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Flashback:
I had the Firestone RideRites on my old truck and I liked it a lot. Had the dual controller in the dash. It worked well. I like being able to have a shraeder valve at the back of my truck for times I needed air.

My buddy and I just both installed a set of AirLifts on our trucks.

He put the AirLift Load Lifter 5000 on his F350 King Ranch short box.
I put the AirLift Load Lifter Ultimate 5000 on my F50 Long Box.

He may just probably inflate manually and will skip the on-board compressor systems (he's a windbag and can handle that), but I am used to having the in-cab controller on my old truck and I do like it. I put sleds and ATVs on the deck, haul a 5th wheel, pull floats in parades (that can sag a truck FAST!!!)

I like the functionality and versatility of the on-board compressor systems that AirLift offers, but the 7200 system says it's not for use with an air tank. The WirelessOne isn't any better.

Why an air tank?

Welllllll, I also plan to put train horns on my truck (I know the die cast metal are way better than the plastic ones).

According to this page I think I can run them off the same compressor and tank.

horn_instructions.jpg

SO MY QUESTION.....If I have a separate pressure switch coming off the tank, can I tie those systems together with one compressor and ONE tank so that I can still control my airbags in the range of 10-100psi independently of my air horns that need 150psi?

Last edited:

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
i have the firestone wireless air command http://www.amazon.com/Firestone-WR1...r=1-2&keywords=firestone+wireless+air+command

this system comes with pressure sensors/manifold for 2 airbags. however, the controller is setup to control a full air ride system (all 4 corners). i have thought about doing the exact thing you want to do. i would have to buy another air distribution manifold, one pressure sensor, and the tank. you could set it to hold up to 100psi (because thats as high as the controller will go up to.....not sure if the pump will is rated for any more than that)

manifold and sensors for 2 bags (you would have to buy another one of these and run a line from it to your tank)

wireless remote - for example, LF or RF could be your tank.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
i have the firestone wireless air command http://www.amazon.com/Firestone-WR1...r=1-2&keywords=firestone+wireless+air+command

this system comes with pressure sensors/manifold for 2 airbags. however, the controller is setup to control a full air ride system (all 4 corners). i have thought about doing the exact thing you want to do. i would have to buy another air distribution manifold, one pressure sensor, and the tank. you could set it to hold up to 100psi (because thats as high as the controller will go up to.....not sure if the pump will is rated for any more than that)

manifold and sensors for 2 bags (you would have to buy another one of these and run a line from it to your tank)

wireless remote - for example, LF or RF could be your tank.

So if I made LF my air tank that feeds my horns, I could set that to 150 (if it goes that high) and forget it?

The WirelessOne from AirLift does that too, I think.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
it will NOT go over 100 because that is the max for the air bags it is "supposed" to operate. i also started thinking about this a little more......i would have to test it with one of my air bags. if you have the pressure set at 100, and it goes down to 50, will the compressor automatically kick in? i do not know the answer to that question. i set my bags at 40 for the 5th wheel and 30 for the sled trailer. there are no leaks so it always stays within a few psi of my setpoint. i could unhook an airline and see if it tries to recover the pressure automatically.

if you are at all interested in finding out, it would be easy for me to do. but since you cannot get 150psi out of it, you may need to go another route.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
You may need to upgrade the air compressor to one of the Vaiair(sp) onboard air type. Compressors. They can handle that pressure and can be used with small tanks. I'll see if I can find you a link tomorrow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Maybe I am missing something here, but could you not run the tank up to 150 psi and have a separate regulated output from that tank down to 100 psi for the airbags?

Wow, I gotta edit that now. I just saw the price on those train horns.

If you can pay $2000 for some horns I think you can afford to buy 2 compressors and run stand alone systems...!! Yikes.

Last edited:

turbolover

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
The airbags are pressure adjustable. It doesn't matter how much the supply pressure is as long as you don't exceed the 100 psi recommended pressure in the bags.
You could run one airtank (150 psi) and supply air to the train horns and airbags.

Edit
Yeah holy crap that's an expensive set of horns.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
The airbags are pressure adjustable. It doesn't matter how much the supply pressure is as long as you don't exceed the 100 psi recommended pressure in the bags.
You could run one airtank (150 psi) and supply air to the train horns and airbags.

Edit
Yeah holy crap that's an expensive set of horns.

this is true. but if you go with a wireless remote setup like i have, the remote will not let you go over 100 psi because thats the limit for bags.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Right, and sometimes I only want 10psi for empty loads or 50psi...etc.
I definitely don't want the airbags to be either all empty or all full.

Sounds like I need the system in my schematic above that INCLUDES an improvised WirelessOne minus the compressor.

turbolover

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Ill bet ride rite would sell just the wireless height adjustment?
Then you could have both.
Or heck go one better and put on a self leveling valve.

Premium Features