• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aftermarket handlebars

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
I have also removed over 10 sets of stock hand warmers. I use a sharp knife and cut the foam against the bars, but go slow so you don't cut the heating element. I then cut 1" off each side of the bars, add shrink tube on the bars before the hand warmers, this helps almost double the heat.
Do you get the shrink wrap at your local Auto store? Or do you have a source for that?

T
Nov 11, 2008
Do you get the shrink wrap at your local Auto store? Or do you have a source for that?

Just wrap them in electrical tape to create a thermal break.

For people who run a new sled every few years it’s easier to just set up one set of bars with a throttle block and new grip heaters, grips and so on. I can take off the factory ones for resale time and throw on my almost complete set up bars in minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
I just apply a bit of heat and peel them back .. its a pain .. i'll use the razor trick next time

I also like to add gorilla tape to the new bars. its thin and retains heat... I tried the skidoo corks once, got way too hot with the polaris heaters !
Without the cork may be a little thinner diameter as well.

powwow

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
East Kootenay
So when the heaters are on it doesn't affect the shrink tube I assume? Guessing they don't get hot enough to reactivate it?

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
Not sure if I’m crazy. But with the RSI shrink wrap it seams to add unneeded thickness to the diameter of the grip. On my wife’s sled I just did one wrap of gorilla tape. Seams smaller diameter then mine. I also spray foamed the inside of both for better insulation. First ride is tomorrow.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
Not sure if I’m crazy. But with the RSI shrink wrap it seams to add unneeded thickness to the diameter of the grip.

I found the same. I just finished setting up new bars with new RSI heaters, grips and shrink wrap as well, definitely a noticeable amount of added bulk to the grips. I'll give it a go this weekend, but I'm thinking I may be pulling those shrink tubes out.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I found the same. I just finished setting up new bars with new RSI heaters, grips and shrink wrap as well, definitely a noticeable amount of added bulk to the grips. I'll give it a go this weekend, but I'm thinking I may be pulling those shrink tubes out.

Steel bars and RSI G7 grips take care of the bulk.

Hotter and smaller diameter than stock.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
Steel bars and RSI G7 grips take care of the bulk.

Hotter and smaller diameter than stock.

I was running the thin RSI grips (over the RSI insulator tubes). They didn't last long. I chucked them and the tubes, and went straight heaters with new grips.

If I find I still need more heat, I'll look into steel bars. Cheers

N
Dec 24, 2017
Can anyone recommend a 2” riser that bolts right to the stock Axys steering post for 1 1/8 bars?

I want to go from ProTaper high rise to CFR Boondockers for a total 4” height on a 2019 SKS.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Can anyone recommend a 2” riser that bolts right to the stock Axys steering post for 1 1/8 bars?

I want to go from ProTaper high rise to CFR Boondockers for a total 4” height on a 2019 SKS.
i am running the RSI 2" angled forward 15* one. I really like it. puts me slighly forward

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA

I ended up re doing mine and axed the shrink wrap. With the one wrap of gorilla tape it doesn’t feel like the grips get hot enough. May redo it with heaters only.

N
Dec 24, 2017
Kylant, Thank you. That is exactly what I ordered. 2” plus CFR Boondocker bars puts me at 4”. I hope that’s not too short - I am 5’10” with shoes on.

I have the tall ProTapers now and by the end of a three day trip last year, I couldn’t bend my elbows. I am sure it’s part body position and hopefully part height.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Are you on a Polaris or a Doo? Might try that on my Polaris

on a polaris

Kylant, Thank you. That is exactly what I ordered. 2” plus CFR Boondocker bars puts me at 4”. I hope that’s not too short - I am 5’10” with shoes on.

I have the tall ProTapers now and by the end of a three day trip last year, I couldn’t bend my elbows. I am sure it’s part body position and hopefully part height.
i have the CFR SX bar. I am 5'10-11"
I have 5" of rise total. I could easily ride 1" shorter.
I tried the Boondocker bars, but there was a bad run of them and I got one of the sets. The bar mounting area was too narrow and it would not mount up in the mounts correctly, so they exchanged them

Premium Features