• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aftermarket clutch cover reviews

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Light weight!
223b16427236b63478358973eb0c86ed.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Im wondering if a rebalance is needed with these covers, or just say F it and run it. The zrp looks nice. Better grade aluminum over the bmp

I run the ZRP and sent the clutch off to Patrick Custom Carbon for balance. It's smooth as glass. Certain RPM"S you can really hear the "whirring" sound of air movement. I'd balance every clutch. It amazed me how much was taken out of the new TEAM Primary. PCC sends a before and after balance sheet when they return the clutch. The amount of force reduced at higher RPM's is amazing. Should translate into smoothness, crank / engine life and additional belt life.

And yes, I went ZRP due to the grade of aluminum they used.

L
Feb 21, 2011
Kremmling, CO
Joey, you know better. In no way should the cover EVER be preventing full shift out. If it’s to prevent too much tension on the belt at full shift out, the belt is too short or the clutches are incorrectly designed.

If you are building covers that hit the spider nut before full shift out, you are opening up yourself for liability. I have seen a pic of a BMP cover that has come apart.
The Cat cover/bushing contacting the spider nut to prevent full shift out design is both incorrect and dangerous. Clutches use sheave to sheave contact to adjust for full shift out width, not the cover. If Team is using the cover to prevent full shift, they should have manufactured the clutch different.

Under normal circumstances, your cover may be just fine. When you factor in the Team built in cover interference, mix in a little harmonics and very few covers stand a chance. If it were me, I wouldn’t supply any roller bearing type Alpha Cat primary clutch parts for a 2017, 18 or 19. Maybe the 2020’s after the clutches are proven to last.

I’m shocked that you are not aware of this issue. I’d more expect a convicted criminal the likes of E.L. of old Bikeman to deny an issue to make sales, not you.
I have no affiliation with Thunder clutching but I did install the 911 cover on my Alpha. There is no interference and the clutch will hit full shift out.

The pics are the end result of using a cover to prevent full shift out. It flexes on each full shift attempt and will eventually spit out fatigued pieces if not fully fail. A clutch exploding at 8000rpm is the same as Russian Roulette. I’ve had a clutch explode and I honestly felt like I cheated death. I love Cat but this is some serious chit.

Don’t shoot the messenger. I’m simply demonstrating common sense and real life pictures. The above are my beliefs.

I love your vids and contribution to the site. Please keep up the good work. Cheers

View attachment 334333

Kanedog, do you have a suggestion on what will lighten the clutch for responsiveness without sacrificing strength or durability?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Kanedog, do you have a suggestion on what will lighten the clutch for responsiveness without sacrificing strength or durability?
Lower the gearing will improve responsiveness. Unfortunately, there’s not a lot of gearing options available.
I don’t recommend taking weight off of the clutch. If anything, add weight if you can.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
But it makes wooshy sounds.

I want wooshy sounds.

Quicker rpm response means quicker shifting too, no?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
This cracked while i was removing the cover, not from towers flexing. New clutch with 100miles.

20200209_125258.jpg

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Whoa!!
I’ve got a new clutch waiting to be installed and a ZRP ready for when the clutch goes on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I was putting the ZRP cover on while on the hill. I wanted to test side x side on the same hill , same day vs stock cover (rpm).
I thoroughly inspected stock cover prior to loosening bolts. Loosened the bolts as i spun the clutch (can't access the bottom 2 bolts behind the plastic panels) i tried to keep pressure fairly equal while removing the bolts.

Sent it

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
IDK!! Maybe its best that happened going 0mph.
Could have been an accident waiting to happen, BS regrdless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
When I pulled off my stock cover prior to putting the zrp cover on, after loosening the three tower set bolts a couple turns each, the cover was stuck on. Took a couple taps with a rubber mallet for it to pop and release, but that told me there is some serious twisting going on with the towers and stock cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Meaning rotational weight actually helps responsiveness?
Summit8k said it pretty good. Rotational weight helps consistent rpm and in some cases, et(drag racing) will increase a tiny bit.
Lower gearing will make it more responsive. Taking weight off will shorten the life of your engine imo. If you are gonna keep it for more than a year, then I wouldn’t take any weight off the clutch or flywheel. If it’s a one year sled, fill yer boots!

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I can't emphasize enough to have your clutches balanced. I run the ZRP cover and love it. Stronger, cooler temps. But, thinking putting on a stronger clutch face to compensate for a Team Clutch that should be balanced better from the factory in the first place, places unfair stress on ZRP as a company. The cover is not some "fix all." I had Patrick Custom Carbon balance my primary and I was shocked at the amount of "pounds - force" reduction after balancing. Smooth is smooth.........smooth is engine longevity. Smooth is reducing the chance for grenading a clutch! FFT.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
imo weight towards the inside of the clutch like where the factory mounts a steel ring might be good for something, but not out past the end of the crank stub like the cover and bolts. especially if you like to pound the whoops.

Premium Features