• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

aero charger deep powder or cold air snorkel

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I have some stock rollers still new in the bag I bought back in 08. they weighed 9.1 grams. I have some stock rollers with fett brothers bushing inserts and those weigh 9.9grams.
Back in 08 I wore out a set of rollers in no time. Put a new set in and those were almost wore to nothing at the end of the year. I believe I put these fett brothers bushings in the stock rollers back in 09. two rollers feel exactly like the play in the brand new in the bag rollers. One feels like it MIGHT have just a little more play then new. Pulled every thing apart. cleaned it. polished the pins. put a new bushing in the slideing sheave, new spring cup, O rings, etc... Put some fett brothers rollers in the secondary. waiting for some other new stuff from Joe to put it all back together.
I had perks spin balance, balance the primary last year.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
i got this off the heavy hitters website

The all new Thunder Shift Rollers (TSR) are another great tuning component for the Ski-Doo TRA clutch. The TSR can be used with stock TRA arms or the adjustable Thunder Shift Arms. Thunder Shift Rollers are available in Stock Ski-Doo size(10.0 grams), 1mm oversize (12.5 grams each) or 2mm oversize (15.5 grams each). Thunder Shift Rollers are heat treated, Melonite coated for lubricity and bushed. Thunder Shift Rollers are a bolt on high performance item from Thunder Products, Inc.

might have to try some:canada:

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
out yesterday first time with cold air snorkel

Brad... this should be part of your kit, had to lower cliclers two positions since i keep hitting the rev limiter

wow, does it make a difference... would love to know how much charge temps drop??

at 4.5lbs boost i was hitting 65mph track speeds up the shoots, then went to 6.5 and hit 72mph, and pushed 8200 or higher rpm, took shockwave out to 5 turns, and just crazy upshift, but not the best backshift:face-icon-small-hap

as for noise from the snorkel it was louder for sure, and you hear it for five seconds spinning after shutdown, but not superloud

as for its location i could feel going down hills it was there, but not that it needed to be moved, also sidehilling on the right side i felt hit, but it was never in the way, it flexs well with the silicone hose

as for deep powder, we never seen any issues, but then power was less than a foot, so far very happy with it and it gives a noticable power gain

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
i want to start mointoring the charge air temps, what would be the best way to do that, and what type of gauge and mount would work best, thanks

here is some good info from the cat turbo thread

"i have a bd kit with the bd box, last year with under hood intake i would see charge temps on the trail and light boondocking around 80-130, in extreme boondocking even warmer.

with the snorkel the 80-130 i was seeing is down to 40-60 and the extreme boondocking i have seen it over 100 one time."

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
usually, and i am told that, they do not include snorkels because that supposed to be in the "upgrade" package, per say, but i am told depending, you can gain up to 10 or more hp just from sucking from a snorkel outside the hood, and i believe it too, also cooler air will let you run more boost on lower octane due to not wanting to detonate so easy,

but dont push it unless you know you can, boost wise for your octane, because when you do, its a headache all the work that has to be done ha ha

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
Now you are making me want to do a fresh air intake on my turbo xp. I will have to look and see what i can do. unfortunatly when I built the turbo system I didn't build it with the plans to do a fresh air intake. Just a screen over the turbo. so I put the turbo farther forwards so the exhaust did not have as much of a bend to go out the stock exhaust outlet. Now their is not very much room between the turbo and the body panel.

TWARD700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Seattle WA
That's how the Turbo performance kits are a friend of mine and I built a fiber glass intake will fit down the little space that is there. You take 1 inch pink high density foam and cut in to pieces and mold it to the shape you want then rap with electrical tape then fiber glass it then you spray brake clean on the foam and it will melt away.
aeffa5c5-4b36-5f9f.jpg
aeffa5c5-4b61-6545.jpg
aeffa5c5-4b81-0c9b.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

M
Nov 13, 2008
Boost

FrozenBoost is one place. I think TWARD has one of the best intakes I've seen. Terry, did you have to reinforce the ends to keep them from breaking when you put your clamps on?

TWARD700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Seattle WA
FrozenBoost is one place. I think TWARD has one of the best intakes I've seen. Terry, did you have to reinforce the ends to keep them from breaking when you put your clamps on?

The top end we reinforced a little but the lower end is pretty thin so it would fit on the turbo. With the tight fit we put a one inch wide piece of 3 in silicone coupler then had the intake go over that and clamp on the fiberglass worked pretty well.
Here is a few of the finished intake.
aeffa5c5-b4e2-80cb.jpg
aeffa5c5-b4f2-f53c.jpg

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
little more thinking on how the turbo kit was working in the past..... i am starting to think that the 4 times i had my sparks plugs working loose, was maybe not the plug indexing shim issue as much as it was detonation from the hotter charge temps

this could be the biggest bennifit to the cold air snorkel, as for hp gain, i bet it feels more than 10hp:face-icon-small-win

usually, and i am told that, they do not include snorkels because that supposed to be in the "upgrade" package, per say, but i am told depending, you can gain up to 10 or more hp just from sucking from a snorkel outside the hood, and i believe it too, also cooler air will let you run more boost on lower octane due to not wanting to detonate so easy,

but dont push it unless you know you can, boost wise for your octane, because when you do, its a headache all the work that has to be done ha ha

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
little more thinking on how the turbo kit was working in the past..... i am starting to think that the 4 times i had my sparks plugs working loose, was maybe not the plug indexing shim issue as much as it was detonation from the hotter charge temps

this could be the biggest bennifit to the cold air snorkel, as for hp gain, i bet it feels more than 10hp:face-icon-small-win

i know many just go by "plugs coming loose" for detonation, but when i did that my engine blew up from extreme detonation,

but others think that snorkels wont work in the deep powder, if you get a big enough one they will suck more the enough air even in the deep

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
riding today in elkford, snow above 6500 is over the hood...lol best snow of the year so far, and still snowing, snorkel worked perfect, not once did it choke the motor, and there was a few times it was completly submerged... have video of it in a few days

i added the 1mm over rollers to primary before started riding, so pins and and rollers now weight25grams at 8lbs boost today and 70 plus track speed at 7000 feet, pulling 8000rpm on clicker 2......stock skid has its tungue hanging out

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
That's how the Turbo performance kits are a friend of mine and I built a fiber glass intake will fit down the little space that is there. You take 1 inch pink high density foam and cut in to pieces and mold it to the shape you want then rap with electrical tape then fiber glass it then you spray brake clean on the foam and it will melt away.

What diameter pink foam are you using? Guessing your using 1" sheet cut to __ diameter. Turbo inlet 3". I'm thinking 3"+

Where do you buy it, any special style.....Polyurethane, Polyethylene?

Years ago I tried using a bendable metal dryer vent on my 53 series Aero on my ZX chassis, it choked off too much air flow.

Thanks.

Last edited:

TWARD700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Seattle WA
What diameter pink foam are you using? Guessing your using 1" sheet cut to __ diameter. Turbo inlet 3". I'm thinking 3"+

Where do you buy it, any special style.....Polyurethane, Polyethylene?

Years ago I tried using a bendable metal dryer vent on my 53 series Aero on my ZX chassis, it choked off too much air flow.

Thanks.

We just used pink high density insulation foam from like home depot. We use the high density foam because it is easier to shave. Buy a silicone coupler that will fit on your turbo housing and use that to trace out a piece of foam. The first piece is the only 1 that has to be that size the pieces after that can be bigger or smaller whatever it takes to fit in your shape.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I found 3" and 4" solid round on McMaster-Carr's website. I think it would save a step by not having to cut it twice. Slice it turn it and tape it... http://www.mcmaster.com part #8875K13 for 3" and 8875K14 for 4"

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
had a few different guys taking pulls on it the last few days in the deep and no one mentioned that they were hitting or it was in their way, still alot of room for your legs near the pull start area

beat the snorkel pretty hard the last few days, with tight trees smashing it, to roll overs, it seams to be located in a good location over all

seams to be a great mod for the aero charger:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features