• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

advanced clutch thoughts

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Wouldn't running heavier weights be similar to the flywheel effect on a motor? Heavier flywheel(or weights) keeps the motor turning more consistant RPM's because it has more inertia when the motor encounters load changes(via the secondary).

T
Wouldn't running heavier weights be similar to the flywheel effect on a motor? Heavier flywheel(or weights) keeps the motor turning more consistant RPM's because it has more inertia when the motor encounters load changes(via the secondary).

True, i can see that, but if the secondary is setup properlly it being torque sensing will keep the R's where they need to be. plus with less weight the primary will backshift quicker so it will "adapt" to load changes better.

Not sure guess you can argue both sides...hence why some people use lighter setups and some use heavier setups. I can see the advatages in both, again I think it all comes down to riding style and how you like the sled to "feel" I like "rip"

my silly simple self just used olav aaen's theorys to get dialed in. I am always looking for more though. I always thought the ticket was as light a weights as would keep from slipping just enough pri spring to get the r's where I like em', weight it where you need it.....mtn guys are light tips, flattys are heavy. helix till it won't pull it and sprng it for a quick backshift....gear it for as much track speed as I can pull at 1:1 shiftout on my average slopes, that leaves me a bit more for haulin axe up less steep slopes and lower. slightly more efficient gear effect in the clutches for the nasty steeps......of course when that works, I will continue to mess with it:cool:

fun times!

Premium Features