• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Actual weight loss #'s of aftermarket product

Jul 22, 2009
I will start by saying this thread is designed to be 100% informational and not intended to give any manufacturer flack that the actual weight loss is not what they claimed. In fact, some losses were greater than I anticipated. If you are buying aftermarket parts you have to know that they may not always be as light or make as much horsepower as you had wished. Right, wrong or indifferent it is reality.

That said, I spent a lot of time and money this summer trying to lighten up my 2011 M8 SP 153". As I was doing it I weighed everything (both parts coming off and parts going on) on a small calibrated scale to get the actual net weight loss. In fact, if I periodically checked a few things on a second scale to make sure the weight readings were accurate, which they were. So here is a list of some actual, scale confirmed weight saving mods. Do what you wish with this info - just thought I'd save you all some time and/or research. Feel free to add as you like, but if you do please make note whether it is scale confirmed weights or website claimed weights...

These are all NET weight losses...

Trim snow flap to below Arctic Cat writing -.5lbs
Rip out all under-hood foam -2lbs
BDX oil delete (parts only) - 1lb 13oz, plus you can add back oil weight but I have not filled the reservoir and weighed it yet.
BDX inner idler kit (taking off all 4 bogie wheels and mounts) -3.5lbs
BDX intake -7lbs
BDX ChroMo A-Arms -2.5lbs (a little bigger loss than they claim actually!)
Remove exhaust 'clam' shell and ceramic coat pipe -3lbs
BDX recoil with Ti bolts -.375 lbs (6oz) rotating mass

And here are the things that we easily forget about that ADD weight but are worth it in my opinion...
Slidekicks scratchers +1lb
Anti Stab kit (Hi perf xtreme) +1lb
Muffpot +1lb
Throttle Up Boards +4lbs but obviously shedding a lot more snow
Powder Pros +4lbs

I also did the Skinz Super Q can but did not weigh it before installing. CLAIMED loss is 16lbs.

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 8.JPG

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
most of us add a lot more than that to their sled

me for example I carry about 1.5 gallons of water, 12 lbs, 5-6 beers another 5 lbs, 2.5 gallons of fuel another 16 lbs, 2-3 hotdogs, buns, tools -10 lbs, survival gear, road flares, space blanket, extra goggles, xtra gloves, tow rope, saw, xtra belt, shovel, avalanche beacon., beef jerkey, snickers bar. etc.

Jul 22, 2009
me for example I carry about 1.5 gallons of water, 12 lbs, 5-6 beers another 5 lbs, 2.5 gallons of fuel another 16 lbs, 2-3 hotdogs, buns, tools -10 lbs, survival gear, road flares, space blanket, extra goggles, xtra gloves, tow rope, saw, xtra belt, shovel, avalanche beacon., beef jerkey, snickers bar. etc.

I agree with you 100% and I am in the same boat with all of the other junk... I don't carry as much as you but I do have the essentials - beacon, gps, cell phone, survival kit, food, tow straps, tools and more stuff too but you get the idea.

For this post it was geared more towards aftermarket mod weights, but I am not one to be dissallusioned about what my sled REALLY weighs RTR.

Premium Features