• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A shipping (fail) question...

06IQRMK

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
Trying to get a couple opinions here... I am an avid snowest user, and from time to time post something in the for sale section. Recently had a couple of parts listed, and sold, no problems with one... But the other something has come up. Now, I am generally a "nice" guy...try to do what's right, and know what it is like to get the short end of the deal buying AND selling used parts, but this situation is a first for me so feel free to share your .02 on this and hopefully give me a better idea how to handle it.

Sold a part (What it is has no relevance to the story...) the buyer used paypal to pay me which is great, but in doing so I always remind people to make sure to include their address, I usually only ship to verified shipping addresses... Everything went well, money arrived, there was a verified shipping address, package was shipped and tracking entered on PayPal. Two days later the buyer emails me saying he hasn't lived at this address in a long time, and sends me his new address, telling me to ship there. Upon investigating paypal has a policy that protects the BUYER if the package is not shipped to the verified address entered in PayPal. At that point I told the buyer that I could redirect the package...(@ my cost also) to him IF he changed his verified address on paypal so everything would be right. He fails to do so, getting angry at me, the package is delivered to the address originally sent to, signed for, and as far as I really know... He has it. But NOW he is demanding his money back...

What I know for sure: I sent the package to his verified paypal address, I was paid, and I no longer have the part or any idea of how to get it back if it didn't make it into the right hands.

I am pretty sure paypal will back me on this seeing as I did what I was supposed to do, but my conscience is getting the best of me and I really don't like the idea of just telling the guy it was his mistake and his loss...

So what would you do in my situation... Seeing as I am not independently wealthy, I had plans for the money I recouped from this sale... But if I do refund the money, not only am I out the money, I have no way of getting the part to try to sell it again.

Also, the buyer says he is leaving the other address in three days and will be leaving the country....

Helpful advice appreciated. I'm not trying to bash the guy, nor am I trying to whine about my misfortune... Just wondering what you fellow snowesters would do in my situation...

Thanks !

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
You shipped to his paypal verified address. In fact, you even told him to make sure his addy was right. He didn't.
You shipped as per the deal.
Now he is mad you when he should be mad at himself. Tell him to drive to the addy where it was shipped to see if he can get it back. Other than that, too bad so sad for him.

Last edited:

rocks rev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Flat Tops Colorado
He should have made sure you had the right Add. I always confirm Add. in a PM and after getting burned a couple times I ALWAYS insure my item for min.what its worth. He should have to go to his old Add. and get the package that arrived in HIS name. You could fax him a copy of the delivery confirmation paper.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
It's all on him especially when you told him to verify his address. I think he is trying to screw you over with the way this story sounds.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
What they said...you gave him the chance to change it and he didn't.

If this were me buying the part...I would have changed the verified address asap. It makes no sense why the buyer didn't.

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
Scam alert. The minute someone tells me they need special service or special attention because they are "leaving the country" I go on hight alert. You did everything 100% correct. Do not do anything past what you have done because from here on you won't be protected from whatever bs the supposed buyer has going on.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
anybody with an ounce of common sense

would give you instructions on where to send the part they are needing, whether it's a paypal verified address or not. the mistake was his fault. and like mentioned above it was signed for.

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
Its weird to me that it was signed for. I wouldn't sign for a package addressed to someone who didn't live with me, makes me wonder why someone would?

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Scam alert. The minute someone tells me they need special service or special attention because they are "leaving the country" I go on hight alert. You did everything 100% correct. Do not do anything past what you have done because from here on you won't be protected from whatever bs the supposed buyer has going on.<br/>

This^.

Buyer sounds sketchy to me. I would keep the lines of communication open. Tell him when you get your part back, you will refund his money. Let him do the legwork in contacting the person who has the part and deal with shipping if it gets that far.

If he gets pissed or hostile...to heck with it, spend his money.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
Its weird to me that it was signed for. I wouldn't sign for a package addressed to someone who didn't live with me, makes me wonder why someone would?

It might not have even been signed for, at the John Deere dealer where I work we track packages for parts sent to customers from us or from Deere directly that UPS has delivered marked "Left On Porch" or "Man of House" or "Side Door".

We've had to track packages (usually in a rural area) where we've had to have UPS contact the route driver to find out where the driver left it (" I left the package on the seat of the old truck for sale out by the gate because there was a big dog coming down the lane towards me" kind of thing).

Sounds like he's trying to crawfish on the payment, I say if it's delivered to the address verified by Paypal and there is Proof of Delivery from the carrier it arrived at the destination than it's a done deal.

His name wouldn't happen to be J.R. from Onekama, MI would it?

I had a beef with a guy from Michigan who sold me some misrepresented parts a couple years ago, come to find out the return address on the package was some lady down the road from him, probably didn't even know the guy was using her address....

Premium Features