• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A few upgrades for the polaris 120

2fast4uRuss

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2011
Lloydmister
Nice work on both machines. There fun to mod and the kids smiling makes it worth it for sure. Have one with stock motor and 13/43 gearing with a shock it kit and carbides for my 4yr old daughter and one with a Honda Gx200, rattlesnake cam 22lb springs governor removed with 12/40 gears and rec drivers that keeps my 7yr old happy.

T
Mar 13, 2019
Nice work on both machines. There fun to mod and the kids smiling makes it worth it for sure. Have one with stock motor and 13/43 gearing with a shock it kit and carbides for my 4yr old daughter and one with a Honda Gx200, rattlesnake cam 22lb springs governor removed with 12/40 gears and rec drivers that keeps my 7yr old happy.

Thanks. It sure is fun working on them. If I knew before I started I think i may have researched adding a comet clutch as my first mod. Kids are just about to outgrow both machines, not sure what's next for them. The "should" get one more winter on them. but their friends are on 400s so I am not sure. Funny thing is our kids on the modded 120s are going faster (except for short blasts) and having more fun on the smaller sleds. Time will tell.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
My oldest was riding my F7 and Axys 800 around the fields and really short trail rides. She could ride them, but not handle them.
On her 120 she was showboating on one ski and jumping everything. I left her on it a year too long I think. She’s had a 600 Assault for the past two seasons and I can’t shake her on the trail. Literally on my bumper(and wedged between my tunnel and track a few times)

I was even going to start her on my old 440 fan which I rode until I was like 14! One ride on it and she came back and asked if she had to shift gears because there was no powerband. What a turd!
AST1 and an avy bag and she’s coming riding with me in the hills as my riding buddy. She’s 13 going on 14.

Her younger brother is 7 and autistic. It took me until he was 5 before he’d even sit on the sled while it ran. He loved telling people it was his, and sitting on it, but as soon as I reached for the pull cord he would get upset and we’d have our hands full.
This was is second year on the 120 and right up until he puts his helmet on he whines a bit and sniffles but once it’s on he’s a gamer.

My youngest is a machine. He steals his brothers 120 and takes off. He comes within about 30ft and turns around. He knows he has enough time to turn it around at about that mark. He’s 3. His Kitty Cat does about 12mph and he complains it’s not as fast as his brothers sled.

I’ve bought a 440 Rev and 600RS XP for when they graduate. I have a feeling my middle might be at home on the fanner while his brother wrecks the race sleds for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2fast4uRuss

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2011
Lloydmister
My son is 7 and really tall for his age and weighs around 70 pounds very strong as well. He can ride the heck out of his machine, start it and get it unstuck most of the time as well as helping out his friends. We live next to a small lake and have been doing a lot of riding on it we have plowed a play area for the kids with lots of hills and jumps for them to play on. Most nights the last two months he has rode an hour or two a day with more on the weekends with his friends that have sleds as well. He is ready for a bigger machine size wise but I am kind of unsure on the 200 size machines if he will get bored quick and it will be a wasted sled I was almost ready to snow check one before the oil price dropped. I have an extra seat pan and some foam and was thinking of doing a seat like you have done so he could maybe ride it a bit more next season, I also need to replace the track have lost two pieces or rubber outside the track windows in the last week. I let him ride one of my old sleds a 98 cougar 550 mountain cat today on the lake and he put on 40km without any issues or getting out of control where I had to slow him down. I have a 97 puma 340 out at our farm I had planned to give to him in a few years but am now considering just skipping the 200 size sled and maybe letting him ride it next year. He has a good head on his shoulders makes good choices and good throttle control rides an lt 80 daily in the summer as well. What are your guys thought on the 200's or just going to bigger machines I like the fact he can man handle the 120 and imagine the 200 would be the same due to weight but don't want him mad because his old machine went faster I know the resale wont be to bad on them as well.

T
Mar 13, 2019
I've looked at the 200 and would have started there but no local dealer and I have less into the 120 with mods and I think it's comparable. My boy turned 6 in march, and is 55lbs. My girl is 8, six inches taller, and 60lbs. The problem for her will be seat height, not so much the 120s capability. Her legs are just getting too long.

I think you would be disappointed going from a modded 120 to the 200 (purely on size and speed). The longer track is a game changer though. As are the running boards IMO.

I haven't sat on the new 400 offerings from cat but we have NO dealers for miles.

We have 96 panteras with 550 in them at the farm and both kids can "drive" them, but they can't ride them. Hell I don't want to get them stuck, they would be hooped. For my daughter, that's not much of an issue, she's a point and shoot kinda driver. But my boy is throwing his 120 around and is a beast on it. To put him on an old indy or similiar is going to suck for him. I have been looking at 300 freestyles from skidoo.

J
Jan 31, 2012
Birch Hills, Saskatchewan
Great work - nice to have these threads for reference. They are definitely in short supply!

My oldest turns 4 in October - will see how much of an orangutang he is on it to see how much for mods are needed! Last year he was pretty chill on it but had just turned three. I may start watching for a older and rougher 120 to do this 200 swap.

Thanks for the great posts and pictures!

T
Mar 13, 2019
well another quick update before the season starts. I was tired of lifting the hood to get to the choke so I added a new cable. Works mint. Kids will have no issues starting sleds this year (might forget to turn off choke! )

And a set of hand guards to keep the wind off. Might have to try and build a higher windshield

IMG_6766

IMG_6768

IMG_6767

S
Dec 31, 2018
Can you show anymore pics or give any more information on adding the shock to the xcr? I have a 2004 pro x 120 that I wanna add the shock too. Was thinking I could maybe even use the rec motor template and the kimpex shock from the thread you referenced.

T
Mar 13, 2019
Its pretty straight forward once you get the shock in hand. Once the bottom is attached the options for the top become easy to see. The template gets you close.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Not sure if I shared my mod I did to the skis but I have them off(going onto the Kitty Cat) so I thought I’d share. I cleaned them up a bit and was going to cut some more but decided I was doing more harm than good after a bit.

829abf8a368b1369d29acffc3c2611a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
Mar 13, 2019
That ski mod is about what i did to ours as well. The Cat is looking good hahah. Well it looks like its coming along!

kids are loving120 this year. Emma has outgrown the red one but still likes to play on it. She is driving her moms 600 but prefers the 120. They are so fun.

T
Mar 13, 2019
Did our first big trail ride. 40 miles. It was sweet. BUT

I need more speed on the long track! Ordered up a new 5 tooth driver from cat 5T-2.594-EXV Part # 3602-034

We had the 4 tooth driver in with 1.6:1 gear ratio. Need to up the driver as I am out of room for a smaller gear on the quick change hub. Hope it fits! Also went to a black spring on the clutch and cut off three loops. Haven't tested yet, hoping to get 3000+ rpm on clutch engagement.

T
Mar 13, 2019
So I am trying to keep all this info together. Sled was running really well but we are falling short on the speed to keep up with the big sleds on the trail and in the fields. We really want to be able to spin the track and hit 30-35 mph. So we are trying the 5 tooth driver out of the ZR200. The drive shafts are different, old one is 3/4" and the new is 1.25" New hex shaft is coming tomorrow and then I will have to have it machined this week.

It also turns out I wasn't hitting the RPMs I thought I was. I am not sure if the coil on the Pro Point limits the RPMs or if it was just faulty. (it was faulty, as it was shocking me, but I don't know if it was limiting RPM) Either way I bought a #30500-Z0T-003 genuine Honda coil with no RPM limit. RPM is now right at 7000rpm. My wife made me this great spreadsheet to determine gear ratios and MPH with different RPMs

New driver

Old driver

T
Mar 13, 2019
I've also got a new clutch coming with come gold on gold Kart chain... 3200 RPM engagement. I think I am cooking the springs and drying out the chain with heat from the exhaust. I have wrapped the pipe and the muffler with heat wrap. Hope it helps. If not I might make a pipe that moves the exhaust over to the other side of the sled. I am also going to try and lighten up the rotating mass on the gears and clutch.

Kids hands are still cold so it's new hand warmers, fly 5" riser, Pro taper bars with hooks and the Cold Guards

T
Mar 13, 2019
Man, I sure hope this 5 tooth driver works out. I knew that I was going to have to modify the bulk head, but I am getting a little bit of track slap on the tunnel. It's not rubbing, it's just the slack in the track hits, I am going to lower the rear idler wheels to see if that helps. The shaft is HUGE compared to the old one. What a PITA. Not sure this one is going to be worth it....

Premium Features