• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

99 rmk 700 hard to start whats wrong with it?

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
In dec I purchased a 99 rmk 700 and had them put a attac on it. Runs great real strong always started on 1st pull. Now to the problem. Last sunday the kids and I went on a ride sled ran great always started. We got back sunday night and just left them infront of the house, well wednesday it was supost to rain and snow so I wanted to get them inside. went to start that sled and pulled and pulled and pulled it hit I think twice just like it was going to take off but never did. So yesterday we drug it in the heated shop, changed the plugs (old ones didnt look to bad ) and i pulled and pulled and pulled finaly poped off ran for about 1 min then died. Pulled another 5 or 6 times took off. we road yesterday and ran good always started got back and went in the house for a hour or two then went back out to put the sleds backin in the shed and had to pull and pull and pull. On the 5th pull she backfired hard. Hard enuf to blow snow back in my face. pulled 2 more times and she took off and rann good while putting it in the shed. Never tired it today. What do you guys think it might be. When I was pulling on it I have tried the choke on and off. I have tried giveing it a few pumps on the primer. There is gas flowing when you pump the primer atleast right after the primer where you can see the clear hose. Ya supose the pump is going out or something? Im no mechanick but i can fidle if i know kinda what to try. Thnaks for any info

Travydog

T

theUltamateTBM

Feb 20, 2008
are there original reeds in it or have they been replaced I would maybe look there as well

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
You might have a needle valve leaking. Might want to pull the drain plugs at the bottom of the crank case and see if there's any fuel in either side.

Or, if you get it running good again, shut the gas off and let it run a few seconds with the gas off before you shut it off. Then see if it starts easy a few hours later. If shutting the fuel off solves the problem then that would indicate a leaking needle valve.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
When it backfires that indicates to me that it isn't getting enough gas to start. Mine will do that if I don't prime them enough. The Keihin carbs have a very weak choke circuit in them and that is why they put the primer in. The primer bleeds itself out so when you pump it at first it doesn't have any fuel in it. You can feel some resistance on the primer when it actually starts pumping fuel through it. I usually give it about 3 to 5 pumps after I feel the primer working depending how cold it is. I put the choke on full until the sled fires up then take the choke off when it starts to blubber.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I'm also thinking your choke cables may not be set right either. They may not be pulling the plungers up in the bore enough to open up the fuel enrichment passageways. How much free play do you have at the choke lever when the choke is in the off position? You should have about an 1/8 inch of slack when you pull straight out on the lever before the cable tightens up.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City

Start with the basics. Check the compression. Make sure plug wires and caps are tight. Then check things listed above. Check fuel pump pulse line from the motor for moisture in it as well as being loose. Bad needle and seat will also allow it to flood if you have a full gas tank.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
My brother has a 99 RMK 600 and it does the same thing. Like said above, the primer will need to be pumped until slight resistance is felt to get it good and primed. His needs to be pumped about 6 times and have the choke on full to start, 1 or 2 pulls this way or until your in Cardiac arrest without doing it that way.

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
My brother has a 99 RMK 600 and it does the same thing. Like said above, the primer will need to be pumped until slight resistance is felt to get it good and primed. His needs to be pumped about 6 times and have the choke on full to start, 1 or 2 pulls this way or until your in Cardiac arrest without doing it that way.

hahhahahhahahha the cardiac arrest is the truth especialy for a fat old man like me

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
havent had alot of time to really look at it but i walked by today once and thought I would give her a try. Pumped about 15 times and put on full chock. Poped off ran for 2 seconds died. So I pumped another 10 times full chock did the same pumped 5 more times and nothing and nothing and nothing Then i about sliped on the ice in my shed so I was pissed and quit. I will try it again tomarow. Would the new attac I put on there be doing something to it not getting enuf air or something?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Pain in the rear way is to pull the plugs and prime it that way to see if it fires. If it does then you have to look at your primer or choke plungers.

S
Nov 4, 2012
I have the same problem w 2 RMK 600's. I have to pull on them FOREVER to get them to start. It seems like they aren't even trying to fire, and then all of a sudden, they come to life, as if they were just shut off. When you wrote that you'd unhooked and reset the ATTAC; what is that?

S
Nov 4, 2012
Thank you!
I see. Mine are both stock. I bought them in 2000, rode them a few times and have had them stored since. Still in about new condition. 422 & 452 miles. Every time I've ever started them, it's been as I'd described. And as s you described. They both do it, which makes me think I can't be alone in that. That it has to be a common problem, with some simple fix. VERY frustrating.

Premium Features