• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

16’ 800 Axys randomly cutting out, please help

P
Nov 13, 2014
I am have been pulling my hair out over a gremlin in my girlfriends sled, 16 axys 800 with just under 3,000 miles.

The sled will run flawlessly 98% of the time… However it will randomly cut out, it seems to happen under any amount of engine load/rpm/throttle position. When it decides to cut out it will flash the check engine light the entire time, and will continue to cut what seems to be ignition until the motor completely dies.

Once the motor dies you can restart the sled on the first pull and it will run like nothing ever happened. Sometimes it will make it 2 mins before it cuts out again and sometimes it will make it 30 minutes.

It is extremely random and frustrating, so far I have eliminated the tether, kill switch, and throttle safety (installed the bypass).

I have replaced the voltage regulator, Also have checked OHM readings on the stator and coils.

Contemplating paying for the dealer to reset the TPS, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
I think matchrocket on here had the exact same issue - he ended up with a new ECU? maybe search for some of his posts, he might have mentioned the fix.

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Thanks for updating us - very helpful when we get the final solution back. Have a great season!

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I had the same symptons a few years back, after checking and tightening the ground and changing the stator I still had the same issue. After eliminating those two potential issues I began unplugging every connection in the wiring harness. I eventually found a hotspot at the connection off the voltage regulator, the pins were fried and the wires were discolored at the plug, problem solved.

Premium Features