• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

7.3 Smoke Bomb

A
Aug 3, 2008
North Idaho
White smoke sorry...just wreacks of raw diesel fuel. I was checking the pressure iwth a tire pressure guage on the valve on the side of the filter bowl. At this point, I know I need to get or borrow a code reader or something along those lines. I am pretty well convinced that I have an injector that is not shutting off and dumping raw fuel while it sits, and/of on a cold start. The truck has right at 200,000 on it. Ipr/icp/cps are all new in the past couple of years. new lift pump and a few other things. I recently did the injector orings and it needed that badly by looking at the orings. i did have this smoke issue both before and after the oring change so that is not my problem. I was hoping it was the orings, but was not. All 8 were ugly, so that was not a lost effort. Thanks for the help.

Too bad you didn't have the injectors bench tested while you had them out. Still could be that one of the injector sleeves are cracked. One step at a time.

K
Dec 17, 2008
penticton, b.c.
mine was doing the same thing...turns out it dropped #7 cylinder...previous owner didn't replace the air cleaner properly, and dusted the motor...needless to say, a new motor was in order, and cost PLENTY!!!:mad:

omernikski

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2003
Minocqua, WI/ Foxboro, WI
If it starts fine but still smokes bad, it is the intake air heater or air heater solenoid. pretty common on the smokers. Clip a power probe on the Intake heater side of the relay and stab the light in the negative of your battery. If you start the truck and the light comes on chances are it's the heater, no light and you got a bad solenoid.

Power probes are the best thing for electrical diag. I threw out my test light!

Y
Interesting.

I have a 2000 F350 with a 7.3L PS in it, and mine doesn't smoke AT ALL.

Not when she's cold, or hot.

I also add a little 2-stroke oil to each tank worth of fuel.... maybe 10oz to a full tank. This ultra-low sulfer is death to a little older motors.

:eek:

D
Dec 28, 2007
bush company AK
Interesting.

I have a 2000 F350 with a 7.3L PS in it, and mine doesn't smoke AT ALL.

Not when she's cold, or hot.

I also add a little 2-stroke oil to each tank worth of fuel.... maybe 10oz to a full tank. This ultra-low sulfer is death to a little older motors.

:eek:

I use powersevice but I also add a lil atf fluid to every tank!!!

you are correct ultra-low sulfer fuel is teh gay!!!!:mad:

Y
I use powersevice but I also add a lil atf fluid to every tank!!!

you are correct ultra-low sulfer fuel is teh gay!!!!:mad:

No joke.

I'll dump a little bit of my used engine oil from oil changes in the tank too. Not a lot, but just a smidge. Maybe a quart or two worth. Seems to quiet down the "rattle" a little bit, and she runs great. I also use Diesel Kleen often..... I'll put about half a medium sized bottle in every few weeks worth of driving. I've noticed since I bought my truck how much she's woke up. I picked this thing up used with 146,200 miles on it. She ran strong, but wasn't fast.

I changed the engine oil, oil filter, fuel filter, cleaned out the K&N Air Filter, ran some diesel kleen through the motor, and she's runnin like a CHAMP.

I still don't get any smoke though, and it appears as though my truck's got aftermarket exhaust too. The muffler section's a healthy 4-5 feet long too. LOL. I wanna cut out the muffler, and just straight pipe it.

:cool:

Premium Features