• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

7.3 PSD Automatic Towing 48' Race Trailer

P

powderules

I need your opinion. I have a '02 Ford F250 PSD. It is a crew cab short bed, automatic trans., has 35" tires, and I don't know the gear ratio in the diff. The truck has about 100k miles, drives great, trans. feels really good and still shifts firm. It tows a 27' enclosed snowmobile trailer much of the time. I need a bigger trailer for business purposes. We travel a lot from Utah to southern California, and the snowmobile trailer doesn't have enough room for what we are hauling.

I found a killer deal on a 48' enclosed "race trailer." Empty, it weighs about 9500 lbs. We would likely be tipping the scales around 17,000 fully loaded. Is this way too much for my truck? I've wondered if airbags in back, a huge trans. cooler w/ regular trans services, meticulous brake services, and good guages will allow me to continue to use my truck with this race trailer. I know these transmissions aren't the best. I'm a little concerned about putting too much trailer on this truck. I'd like to get a dually with a manual trans., but it would obviously cost a lot more money. What do you think?

Also, does anybody know if I can legally tow this trailer loaded for business use without a CDL or the DOT ratings on the truck?

Any help and suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeremy

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
With 35" tires, your tranny is really going to be hurting! Your going to have alot more frequent downshifting. IMO I would get rid of the tires and bulk up your tranny and cooler. Also some rear air bags, and gauges for sure. You could do as much as you want but this would be a start.

B

BRUSHMASTER

Nov 26, 2007
Northern, MN
A friend tows a similar set up, 04 Chevy 3/4 ton extended cab, with a 48 foot triple axle pace trailer. Tows just fine but he did ad air bags. He is around the wieght that you are thinking you will be at becasue of a race car and tools inside. Wouldnt think you would have any trouble if you keep a close eye on the tanny temp and would maybe go with a smaller tire to tow such a large trailer. My 2 cents

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
Take the 35's off and put a set of 'E' range stock size tires on. It's only a f250 so adding airbags is nessesary, you may want to add a set of f350 rear springs. Does it have the rear sway bar? If not add one, think Hellwig makes a large one. As for the transmission... even with a big cooler it will eventually fail, they are just not that strong. Best option would be a BTS trans(Brians Truck Stop), they are almost bulletproof.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Max legal trailer weight on an 02 F250 is 14,400 with a fifth wheel. Max GVW is 8800. Even with that trailer empty, you will be right on the line of exceeding the GVW if you figure 15-20% pin weight.

Will it pull it? Probably.
Have people exceeded the safety ratings and got away with it? Yes.
Would I do it? Hell no.

I wouldn't tow something like that without at least a CCLB F350 dually. I've got an 02 F250 diesel and tow very frequently myself, so I'm not talking out my ***. 48' is a HUGE trailer and I wouldn't even consider it without a dually. If you had to do it to get it home a short distance, I might do it on a day with no wind and carry no loved ones with you. LOL

Check out www.thedieselstop.com - It's the Snowest of Ford diesels and you will find all the info you need there. The towing section is what you're after.

Shoot me a PM with your email address and I can send you the towing guide provided by Ford for all 2002 models.

Last edited:
C

ccoleman77

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 27, 2008
Casper WY
Yeah you can pull it if you don't get stopped... Other than that it depends on your state laws in Wyoming you have to have a CDL for it... I have a 42' TMspirit race trl. I would never pull it with a 3/4 ton single wheel pulled it once with a single wheel one ton and swore to never do it again... Dodge one ton dually and a ford 450 dually are the only truck that touch it now....Air bags would be a great idea.... Wish I had them on my truck alot of days And lifted tires with that big of a trl sounds like issues waiting to happen

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
"Max legal trailer weight on an 02 F250 is 14,400 with a fifth wheel. Max GVW is 8800. Even with that trailer empty, you will be right on the line of exceeding the GVW if you figure 15-20% pin weight"

how is hauling that illegal? the dot could care less what the weight of the trailer you are hauling.. as long as the tires are rated for it who cares. put some airbags on the truck and you will be good to go. tranny might be a different story. my truck has hauled 25,000 lbs most of its life. airbags make a world of difference.

June_30_-_July_7_2008_059.jpg

J
Mar 19, 2008
"Max legal trailer weight on an 02 F250 is 14,400 with a fifth wheel. Max GVW is 8800. Even with that trailer empty, you will be right on the line of exceeding the GVW if you figure 15-20% pin weight"

how is hauling that illegal? the dot could care less what the weight of the trailer you are hauling.. as long as the tires are rated for it who cares. put some airbags on the truck and you will be good to go. tranny might be a different story. my truck has hauled 25,000 lbs most of its life. airbags make a world of difference.

Come on man, that's not fair. You're using a Cummins. BIG advantage!:)

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
Also, does anybody know if I can legally tow this trailer loaded for business use without a CDL or the DOT ratings on the truck

depends on what type of business. obtaining a usdot number is
inexpensive and easy to get if required.

G
Sep 12, 2004
wisconsin
Your truck will pull it just fine. You will need bags and have to get rid of the 35s. I have 350 single rear wheel and my truck does great. I have a chip from DP tuner with multiple settings and a 4 inch exhaust and good guages. But well worth it.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba

The DOT cares if you're exceeding your GVW. 15-20% pin weight of a 9500lb trailer will put an 02 F250 over it's GVW.

While I agree that airbags/Timbrens etc help improve the handling and ride, they don't change the weight ratings on your vehicle.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
5 times out of 10 DOT will care. If it's commercial they will care even more. I used to work at a camper place and after seeing what some people will tow with a 1/2 ton and get a way with it..... strap that sucker on and have fun, you know what's going to happen it's just a matter of when will it happen and what's it going to cost to get you home when it does.

I would strongly suggest flushing out your trans and putting in some Amsoil ATF (on top of what your already thinking) that will drop your temps and might get you a few more miles out of it. Don't go throwing a bunch of go fast mods on it without putting on a full set of gauges, more power and pulling is going to create a lot of heat and more times than none you will find you will be down to stock settings to get manageable EGT's unless you have the full spectrum of mods: turbo, intake, exhaust, injectors, intercooler, etc... $$$$

But, the best idea is to get a Dually in a 350, 450 or even 550:D. Once you tag that sucker Commercial and go interstate you are looking at Federal DOT reg's if you are over 10k I think, health card, DOT numbers, vehicle inspection, etc... I've called the Port of Entry at all 4 corners of SD to get some answers on reg's and I get different answers from everyone I talk to, so for now I just have my pickup privately licensed and tow trailers with Dealer plates and have had no issues at any scale and I go to MT, WY, ID, ND, IA, KS, MN, NE, and MO. Granted, I'm not pulling a 48' trailer but a lot of times I'm pulling 2 16'ers.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.

apparently you have not dealt with the dot in mn.why do you people pull those loads with a pickup. why not get a chevy 5500 or 6500 for the same price you guys pay for them pickups

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
I have dealt with the Dot in almost every state(minnesota ALOT), been audited a few times.If one of your axles are over on the weight( based on tires not actual axles) you would be screwed. My 2004 dodge 3500 drw is only rated at 22,500 gcw and its been through scales at 32,000 lbs (registered weight is 33,500) more times than I can count. Be sure to use good judgement when loading certain stuff and your good. The one time I was pulled over I was fined cause my truck was only registered at 6 tons and I Didn't have my IRP and apportioned plates.The truck and trailer in my case alone weighs 18,000 lbs empty.

"why do you people pull those loads with a pickup"

9 mpg average. last summer i was making anywhere from 1.85 to 2.50 per mile for misc loads that are only 10-15000 lbs. a full size tractor trailer averages 6 mpg at best.hotshotting is more effiecient.only a couple companies that I have ever dealt with would'nt use hot shot trucks due to
previous problems with low grade gooseneck trailers.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Its a big trailer for sure, but with air bags and good tires I don't think you will have a problem.

You might consider building up the tranny. At least a triple disc converter and a valvebody would make a nice difference.

Your definitely going to want a set of gauges(Pyrometer, Boost and trans temp).

Not familar with the DOT stuff though, so you might be rolling the dice there.

Premium Features