• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

6.7 Powerstroke reliability?

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
I have a 13' F150 Ecoboost FX4, incredible truck, stunning power (ask Big John hehehehe) and it is the most luxurious vehicle I have ever owned, that being said........ It does not do the one thing I bought it for, the advertised fuel mileage. It does not cut the mustard, our workhorse F-350 V-10 gets better when towing.

Trying out a 6.7 this weekend, my dealer is really stepping up to the plate. Will report next week.

Oh and Roff ........ yer an idiot.:face-icon-small-coo ............... let the sh!tdisturbing begin.

sorry you buy trucks for gas mileage,,,fag

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
only dumb people or faggots buy a truck for gas mileage... i suggest them to go buy a prius...they probably wont compain about fuel mileage then

What an IGNORANT ASININE thing to say.

Last time I checked I don't know a SINGLE PERSON who couldn't care less what the cost of fuel was and had NO CONCERN whatsoever for how much money they had to spend to fuel their truck.

Everyone I know cares about GAS MILEAGE as that represents HARD COLD CASH coming out of their wallet every time they hook up their trailer to go riding.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
What an IGNORANT ASININE thing to say.

Last time I checked I don't know a SINGLE PERSON who couldn't care less what the cost of fuel was and had NO CONCERN whatsoever for how much money they had to spend to fuel their truck.

Everyone I know cares about GAS MILEAGE as that represents HARD COLD CASH coming out of their wallet every time they hook up their trailer to go riding.

I agree. It would be one thing if gas went back to 99 cents. Why spend extra money on fuel if you can buy a different truck that gets way better mileage. With the cost of the trucks these days I expect the best mileage possible.

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
Glenn, I believe we know each other from the early days? I have had alot of trucks since then. I really thought this Ecoboost was the ticket, LOVE the truck, but the mpg is terrible for what I use a truck for. Sunday went on a maiden voyage with the new sled, 98 miles round trip up Ashton hill & back down. 65 mph, 2 place enclosed w/ 2 XM's. 9.2 & i tried a run at 75 and got 5.9!! Horrendous, the power is insane but not worth it at that cost ! My peeps are saying 12 - 14 with a 6.7 under the same conditions. As I said before the "azzhat" interrupted, will be doing extensive testing this weekend to see if I want to trade out and will let ya know results.
Regards, SLIM.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So here is my question.
Towing under HEAVY loads seems to be where this new Turbo fails.
But does the increase in milage the rest of the week more than make up for it?

I plan on buying a new truck in the fall of 2014.
Waiting on the new F150 roll out and was planning on getting the latest and greatest Eco-Boost since 99% of my driving is NOT with the trailer, but that IS where most of my miles are spent in the daily commute and where most of the gas bill comes from.

I would be willing to sacrifice the Saturday tow millage if I can really get 20+ all the rest of the time in normal driving.

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
Real world numbers from my daily commute from Rexburg to I.F., 52 miles round trip. These also apply to trips elsewhere. 16,500 total on the truck, 2013. My Ecoboost will get the advertised 22-24mpg @ 60-65mph ONLY if there is NO (Zero wind and on the flat) (how often does that happen here)? @ 70 = 18-20, @ 75 = 15-17. I left one trip counter on for 2750 miles, got 14.6 overall. All, most all of that was hwy or trying to get good mpg. Don't get me wrong, it breaks me to report this as it is an astounding truck. But most of the time it hangs around 16-18. The. 6.7 I drove 2 months ago got 22.3 mpg @ 65 and has the same power.

Last edited:
S

Super B

Dec 26, 2002
Monticello, MN
www.rooost.ca
Not to derail this from the Powerstroke, but my '13 dirtymax will average 19.2 with a mix of city and highway (70 + mph) mpgs. During my weekend runs to the cabin and back with speeds around 65 mph, I will average 23.4. Of course this is on summer blend fuels without a regen.. Stupid regens kill MPGs. Once my warranty is gone, my truck will be deleted! :face-icon-small-coo

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Glenn, I believe we know each other from the early days? I have had alot of trucks since then. I really thought this Ecoboost was the ticket, LOVE the truck, but the mpg is terrible for what I use a truck for. Sunday went on a maiden voyage with the new sled, 98 miles round trip up Ashton hill & back down. 65 mph, 2 place enclosed w/ 2 XM's. 9.2 & i tried a run at 75 and got 5.9!! Horrendous, the power is insane but not worth it at that cost ! My peeps are saying 12 - 14 with a 6.7 under the same conditions. As I said before the "azzhat" interrupted, will be doing extensive testing this weekend to see if I want to trade out and will let ya know results.
Regards, SLIM.

What year, gears, miles and cab on ur truck? My 2011 fx4 supercrew 5.5 ft box with 3.73s towing a 3 place aluma open trailer with two sleds netted me 15 mpg from Bozeman to West Yellowstone and back. 4 place enclosed on same trip usually gives me around 10.5 mpg. I have about 21000 miles on my truck.

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
I have a 2011 F-250, 6.7, CC, SB with 3.31 gears. I currently have 65,000 miles on it. At 40,000 Miles i had the def pump go bad and a sensor on the exhaust. Instead of paying (warranty on emmisions is only 36k:crazy:) the 1000 dollars to fix it. I deleted all the emissions. I really only prolly get about .5-1 MPG better. I haul a 4 place enclosed steel trailer and the worst i have gotten is 9.5 (that wind in western nd and montana can be a pain.) and the best pullin it is 14 (tailwind) . I am usually right at that 10.5-11 MPG. With the 3.31 gears I pull around the 1700-1800 rpm range which puts me between 75-80. The truck has amazing power and pulls like a freight train.

I absolutely love this truck. Emissions or no emissions the truck has treated me very well. It also pulls my work trailer on a daily basis. Tranny still feels very strong. When i come out to rip all that gallatin canyon powder, you are more than welcome to take the truck for a spin with whatever trailer you want on behind it.

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
What year, gears, miles and cab on ur truck? My 2011 fx4 supercrew 5.5 ft box with 3.73s towing a 3 place aluma open trailer with two sleds netted me 15 mpg from Bozeman to West Yellowstone and back. 4 place enclosed on same trip usually gives me around 10.5 mpg. I have about 21000 miles on my truck.

2013, F150, FX4, 4x4, Supercrew, 6.5 ' box, 16,500 miles to date. 3.55 gears, (which may be the culprit), If I got yer mpg, I would be dancing a jig and keeping my Ecoboost.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Slim, what is the deal with the Ecoboosts and big rain storms causing some problem.

My wife's mother's husband bought one and said it was the cat's azz...couldn't stop talking about I for a year. Hit some rain storm, cause a problem with radiator and Ford said it was a known issue but wouldn't fix it.

He was pissed.

SOOOOO, in his infinite logical wisdom said "Screw you guys, I'm outta here...and I'll sure show you fockers".

And so he went and bought another new Ford.

But it wasn't an EcoBoost.

Yeah, he sure showed em. LMFAO

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Sure liking my 12 F350, 37" tires, 6" lift, long bed, deleted, MiniMaxx tuner.

Bought it in July with just under 45k miles on it out of Salt Lake at Watts Automotive. It came from So Utah somewhere.

Added some clearance lights, blacked out the side mirror lights and added some red illuminated "f350" badges. It's looking good.
Going to add some AMP running boards because the stockers are too high off the ground. LOL

TKD front bumper and a SilverLake sled bed should top it off nicely.

With the tuner, on paper, it's 550hp and 1020ft/lbs.

It's REALLY fun to drive. I'm in love.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
HAHA.

I remember him saying there was an issue with the radiator in the rain.

I'll have to ask him again next time I see him.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
There is a service bulletin relating to condensation building up in the intercooler causing the engine to stutter/miss.

This is more evident in humid climates and in the rain. This is not weather we usually get in montana and I have never had an issue with mine.

Premium Features