• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2Moto Bikes-Sleds ???

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
I've got my WR450 set up and it rips, I'd love to ride it on the snow with a kit but don't like the idea of switching it back and forth. In fact I'm still riding it in the dirt on nice days here. I think I'd look for another good used WR450 just like the one I have and put a snow kit on it and leave it.

P
Jan 11, 2008
Ellensburg WA
This is great! I've been searching everywhere for 2moto info after my discouraging ride yesterday. I posted the following on ThumperTalk trying to get more info and it looks like I found it. I'm looking forward to more info from painterdrew.

I went snowmobiling yesterday. Now I've been riding sleds for a long time (like since Dad put me between his knees on an El Tigre with the pimp leopard-print seat) and I thought it was a lot of fun. However, the more I've ridden bikes in the last 10 years the less fun I've found snowmobiling to be. I get off my bike in the winter and feel like I've switched to riding a battleship. I don't ride snow like I used to so I know my skills have greatly diminished, but I still love being out in the snow and I have friends who are good riders that I want to hang with.

I've seen the 2Moto for a couple of years now and thought it might be fun, but I'm concerned that it won't be able to handle the deep powder that I enjoy riding at higher elevations. Then I went to the local big snow show in November and saw the video they showed plus actually talked to the salesman and looked at a kitted bike. They even make one for my Husaberg! I'm REALLY excited to try one of these out, especially after yesterday. I felt like I was the slow one of the group and I HATE digging out a sled after I've buried it. . I would love to be able to transfer the skills I've developed on a bike and get the feeling of riding out there rather than yanking around a sled.

This gets to my original question. Has anybody actually RIDDEN one of these? Even better, does anybody own one? I don't want some 2moto rep popping up saying how great they are, because I've heard it from them. I want somebody who has ridden them in everything from deep powder to the Cascade Concrete we get on the west side of the Cascades (Mix snow with rain, lather, rinse, repeat). I want to see how they stack up when riding with a group of sleds. Sure I imagine that top-end will be lower, but I don't care about that. I want to be able to hang in the deep stuff, on hills, and best of all if I do bury it I don't have to excavate it out with 3 guys to get going again. I've seen the YouTube vids, talked to the sales guys, but I have yet to hear from an owner. I'm scheduled for a test ride in February but it will only be in one type of snow. Obviously terrain changes over a season so a satisfied (and unsatisfied) owner is the best judge here.

Hopefully someone can help me. Snowmobiling just isn't much fun anymore. I know that there will be some who say I just need to ride more and get better, but I can't match the fun I have on a bike. If the 2moto doesn't work, I may just get a $400 SnoJet to get the kids to the top of the sled hill and call it a day riding in the winter.

Last edited:
L
Dec 30, 2007
Yes, They work, Any conditions !

I'm a rider. They work ! Check the Vids. There's a couple different snow conditions in the Vids. I don't work for 2Moto. I own my own biz, Not related. My 2nd conversion's gonna be a 4Stroke. My CR500AF Smokes my buddie's with sled's.

Last edited:
R
Dec 8, 2007
Regina
650 thumper

Do you think the extra weight of a thumper would hurt ( 325 lbs to 250) or would the torque make up for it I have been thinking about a WR 450 Yamaha, but I have a near perfect(as new)Suz DR 650. Would you bother with a WR or just go with the 650. I'm thinking the 650 would be neat as it's air cooled. What do you think?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Sinking feeling.

At least when the mags described our machine they compared them to the XR650L, they were dead wrong, an XRL could have never gotten the review given in last March's Snowest Dragon Slayer.
The XR's heritage won the Baja 100 in the eighties, the DR is a good low seat height dual sport/streetbike. Blaser and others have pointed it out several times snow needs HP to WT!

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
Do you think the extra weight of a thumper would hurt ( 325 lbs to 250) or would the torque make up for it I have been thinking about a WR 450 Yamaha, but I have a near perfect(as new)Suz DR 650. Would you bother with a WR or just go with the 650. I'm thinking the 650 would be neat as it's air cooled. What do you think?

I agree with Addict on this one. The HP to weight is important. I don't think it's as crucial as on a snowmobile, but like sleds once you get enough track speed (from HP) the bike just gets up on top of the snow and accelerates.

You could have a great time on a DR and it would make a great conversion to snow- but I don't think a stock DR would run with the WR. The XR 650 is a great bike to get more power out of- it's also heavier, but if you built the motor up, it would scream.

Switching between bike brands on snow is virtually the same as on dirt. You feel all of each bikes' different characteristics- head angle, frame flex, suspension settings, ergonomics, how well it turns, powerband, and weight. A lighter snowbike is more nimble and less tiring- just like a lighter dirtbike. These are all reasons why the Husaberg 650 is one of our top chassis preferences- it's 238lbs dry, you can go to a 700, 750, or 800cc motor, it's e-start, etc. BUT you can still tell a big difference in weight and "flickability" going from the 650 Berg to a CRF or YZF 450- the 218 pound 450 is pretty nimble.

Maybe we'll be able to answer the "does horsepower overcome everything" questions once the turbo 650 and turbo 450 testing is complete. If it's similiar to sleds, the answer will be "yes".

Hope that helps!

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
New videos

I posted some clips of the bikes in this years deep stuff on our video page at 2moto.com

Vids were taken with my compact camera. I tried to include some of the bikes going through the deep powder where the motor can be heard- so you can see that you don't have to ride with the throttle pinned. You can go fast, or slow in the deep.

I checked the stats, and some of our videos have over 18000 views...

S

snoblinders

the Husaberg 650 is one of our top chassis preferences- it's 238lbs dry, you can go to a 700, 750, or 800cc motor, it's e-start, etc. BUT you can still tell a big difference in weight and "flickability" going from the 650 Berg to a CRF or YZF 450- the 218 pound 450 is pretty nimble.

if you think any of the 450's are 218, you should buy a scale. most of the 250f's are more than that. if the husaberg feels less flickable its because of the extra crank and flywheel weight.

i have a question about interchangeability between bikes, does the front ski adapter fit all brands or are they model specific???

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
if you think any of the 450's are 218, you should buy a scale. most of the 250f's are more than that. if the husaberg feels less flickable its because of the extra crank and flywheel weight.

i have a question about interchangeability between bikes, does the front ski adapter fit all brands or are they model specific???

I've never weighed the 450's, I just believe everything the OEM's print :D
Honda was claiming 218...

The front ski adapter (and really the whole kit) is virtually the same between all the brand bikes we currently fit. It's a handfull of parts to switch it to a different bike.

What bike would you put it on?

Thanks!

S

snoblinders

What bike would you put it on?

im not sure, prolly a 530 XCWR, my buddy has a KTM dealership, but i think the '09 'bergs look pretty cool with the stacked tranny. i want to plate the bike in the summer so the 450s are out but havent really decided yet, i have a new 300 XC at the shop, i just have to pick it up but i want a big thumper for snow and street use.

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
im not sure, prolly a 530 XCWR, my buddy has a KTM dealership, but i think the '09 'bergs look pretty cool with the stacked tranny. i want to plate the bike in the summer so the 450s are out but havent really decided yet, i have a new 300 XC at the shop, i just have to pick it up but i want a big thumper for snow and street use.

The '09 Berg does look extremely tempting, especially with the potential lure of EFI.

My vote would go with the 530- if it's anything like the 505, it'll be too much fun on snow.
Tough choice between such nice bikes-

S

snoblinders

my buddy who owns the dealership is trying to get me to get the 505, but i cant get past it not having a kick start. my last 450 XC would not start on the battery when it was cold. another one of my friends is on the waiting list for this months run of kits and said you were waiting for the front ski adapter or something, he has a 525 EXC. i will try his when it gets here, and i have my name on a kit but its at a yamaha shop, so thats why i was asking what would need to be changed to put it on a KTM, or 'berg.

A
Jan 29, 2008
Why they might not need as much power

These sound great! After reading about them and seeing some of the video, a thought occurred to me on why they might be performing well with less power.

By not having the variable ratio transmission, they don't have the heat and power loss of a regular snowmobile. I don't know how much power they take, but the way some of them heat up and shred belts, it has to be significant. Under power, they clamp pretty tight.

Anyway, just a thought to kick around.
Alfonse

V
Nov 26, 2007
Pilot Butte, SK
My brother was in the Crows Nest last week and got to test ride the bikes. He was so impressed, he bought a kit, they installed for him as he took his bike with. I haven't had a chance to ride yet !! The first pic is his bike the second is him on his Nytro.

Rogers Bike.jpg picresized_th_1205592687_Rogers Nytro -a.jpg

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
We had a blast up there with him and all the other sled, hawk, and snowbike riders. What a great area, and a bunch of great people-

Here's a few of the hills we rode-
P1010336.jpg

P1010345.jpg

This is one of the side hills we played on for awhile-
P1010349.jpg

Premium Features