• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

21 Summit 850 SP ECM?

Efird

Premium Member
Jan 2, 2024
Gunnison CO
Having trouble diagnosing a problem on a 21 Summit 850 SP with SHOT.. Connected to direct power, there is zero electrical activity, no lights or activity on dash. There is a ticking sound coming from the ECM though. Our company mechanic noted that there was a check engine light at time of failure, would only start on ether and run with throttle input, dim spark. Before throwing $$$ at a new ECM, would there be anything else worth checking?

hushpuff

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2016
Did you have any issues with it prior to this? Mine threw a "limp home" message and eventually went down on my one day. I was about to get it towed out when I tried to start it up and to my surprise it did and ran fine all the way back to the truck. Figured it was a power issue from the trailtech GPS I had installed. I removed that and then took it out again, died and would not restart about 20 miles from the truck.

Took it to local dealer and they said the same thing, no electrical activity, wouldn't talk to buds at all. Put a new ECM in it and and that seemed to sort it out. Fast forward to this season and I took it out for a test run, made it about 3 miles before I started smelling some electrical burning smell, started heading back and got limp home mode again. Made it another mile or so before it completely shut down. Back to the dealer it went - diagnosis was a ignition coil short to ground. They are replacing both coils and the capacitor for good measure (not the shot cap, the blue one). I asked them to check the injector wires while they are in there.

I will keep you posted on any updates beyond this but it sounds like you do need a new ECM if it's failed internally or on the way there.

hushpuff

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2016
Just got a call from my dealer. Stator was damaged by a bolt that came out of the stator cover. Flywheel had a little damage but not enough to require replacement. A few of the coils on the stator were totally burned up though so only putting out 30-40 volts when it should be 50+. New stators supposedly have a built in guard to prevent ingestion. I was aware of this a while back and asked them to check the stator but I guess they did not do that. Known issue: https://www.snowandmud.com/threads/skidoo-850-stator-ingestion.127236/page-4

Wondering if this was the original cause of the ECM failure - unfortunately no way to know now.

Efird

Premium Member
Jan 2, 2024
Gunnison CO
We did replace the stator and also the fuel pump with no positive result. This is/was a company sled so resources aren’t being thrown at it anymore like if it were a personal ride

Premium Features