• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 Khaos 850 Ride Reviews

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
I haven't see an actual "general public" review of the Khaos so I thought I'd post one up. Of course these are just my opinions and I'm just a wannabe mountain rider stuck in the "Flatlands" of Michigan but I have been riding my entire life so that should count for something. ?

A little history about my sleds I've been riding:

2019 850 SKS 155
2016 800 SKS 155
2015 800 RMK 155
2011 800 Pro RMK 155
2009 800 Shift RMK 144

When I went to order a new sled I wasn't sure if I wanted to do another SKS because I ride the backwoods of Michigan or if I should try the Khaos. My concern was cooling and only cooling but with all of my kids on full size machines now I really could go back to an RMK as I wasn't taking out 120's. After doing some research and talking with a few guys that had ridden the Khaos I decided to order one....and I so happy I did!! This machine is ridiculously playful and the power is crazy, after my first ride I was all :).

Since I still have my 2016 that my daughter is riding I have the unique ability to do back to back comparisons. I once thought that the SKS was a ton of fun and super easy to ride but after spending a day on the Khaos you can feel a huge difference. This is a little shocking as from the outside looking in I wouldn't have expected such a huge difference is handling. The REACT front end is as good as so many had been saying it was and combine that with the new rear skid and you end up with a playful 155 backwoods weapon. I've got 4 rides in on it (thanks to ma nature screwing us again) and it hasn't skipped a beat, I'm actually in love with this thing.

I'm 100% stock as far as engine and suspension with ski's set all the way out. I'm a firm believer in keeping the motor stock as we feel all the H.P. here at Sea Level and I really don't need 1 extra H.P. with this 850.

Pro's-
Handling is like nothing I've ridden
Motor is dialed and crisp
Clutching is spot on
Belt Drive is so noticeable (my 16 has a TKI on it but you get use to it and forget how a chain drive bogs the machine down)

Con's
Really over the hand warmer controls down on the console but that's always been a beef with me. (not Khaos specific)
Ski Rubber issue needs to be fixed Polaris. (not Khaos specific)
Technically I don't have any complaints about the Khaos itself.

The Khaos does everything better for my style of riding in Michigan, it sidehills, carves and feels much lighter in the front compared to my SKS's. I really questioned the validity of a NEW model designation when released but after riding it I don't see any reason to have the Pro RMK in the line-up now.

2019-12-21 14.44.13.jpg

west dreams

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2009
Becker, Mn.
Thanks for your review, this helps me a lot as I tend to overthink things (at least that's what my wife tells me but what does she know? ) actually she knows quite a bit, or does she? I don't know, I will have to think about it! :unsure:

N
Dec 7, 2007
I've got about 200 miles on mine so far. Absolutely no regrets. I too was thinking that it would just want to wheelie everywhere. Having the adjustability with the shocks takes all the worries away. Once you find the sweet spot on the low speed compression clicker, you can go from wheelies everywhere, to planted skis with two clicks. Its pretty awesome to get into a play area and have it wheelie whenever you want, and then adjust the shocks to ride tight trees with a lot of confidence.

Vics Action Shots

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2013
Indiana
www.VicsActionShots.com
I too was thinking that it would just want to wheelie everywhere. Having the adjustability with the shocks takes all the worries away. Once you find the sweet spot on the low speed compression clicker, you can go from wheelies everywhere, to planted skis with two clicks. Its pretty awesome to get into a play area and have it wheelie whenever you want, and then adjust the shocks to ride tight trees with a lot of confidence.

Wow Number9t, Thanks so much for your review! That is Just what I wanted to hear. I have only rode my Khaos twice and loved it but all the dudes talking about wheeling everywhere was making me unsure of my purchase. I appreciate your opinion! I'm going to go out there and have fun on it!

N
Dec 7, 2007
Once you start adjusting the rear track shock, you'll wonder why you ever rode a sled without it. Before I got this sled, I just rode stock shocks, and couldn't convince myself that I needed to spend money on aftermarket shocks. Now that I have played with these shocks a bit, I'll never go back. The next sled that I buy, if it doesn't have low speed compression adjustment on it, it will be the first mod that I do.

If you haven't played with the adjustment yet, find a mellow roll over that you can start at the bottom of and ride full throttle over, not just a bump, but an actual hill. Start with the low speed compression adjustment on the rear track shock and put it in the middle of the adjustment. I believe it has 13 total clicks. Ride over the top of the roll over like you would trying to make your sled wheelie. It should come close to standing on the bumper. Then just adjust either way to how you want your sled to handle. a couple of clicks stiffer will keep the skis closer, or on the snow, and a couple of clicks softer will make the skis come up quicker. You will get to a point on softening it up that it will just kind of bottom out and be fairly mushy with out bringing the skis up.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic for a ride review, but it is a seriously fun sled that has a lot of adjustability to make it fun in all terrain.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Been riding summits for years and years took a chance and bought a Khaos and its the best sled I've ever owned for off trail riding.
It blows away my past Summits(G4/XM/XP) in technical terrain/side hilling. Excellent shock package, feels light and nimble. One other bonus is how the clutchs run just mildly warm even when pounding it. No breaks needed to keep the belt alarm from ringing( doo joke) 700+miles and belt looks like the day I bought it.
Engine has top marks for power, but it does not run as clean as an Etec, hard to beat a Doo there.
I remember in the spring how some Poo faithful were bashing the Khaos as gimmick, but let me tell you it was a great decision as it is sooooo fun to ride.

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
Been riding summits for years and years took a chance and bought a Khaos and its the best sled I've ever owned for off trail riding.
It blows away my past Summits(G4/XM/XP) in technical terrain/side hilling. Excellent shock package, feels light and nimble. One other bonus is how the clutchs run just mildly warm even when pounding it. No breaks needed to keep the belt alarm from ringing( doo joke) 700+miles and belt looks like the day I bought it.
Engine has top marks for power, but it does not run as clean as an Etec, hard to beat a Doo there.
I remember in the spring how some Poo faithful were bashing the Khaos as gimmick, but let me tell you it was a great decision as it is sooooo fun to ride.

Sometimes you need to ride it to become a believer....

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Don't mean to throw water on the khaos fire you all got burning here, :)

but . . . .
Rode with a guy during the week with a 155 Khaos, and he REALLY struggled with keeping the front end down in deep powder (4 ft +). I ride an AXYS 163, the other guy rode a AXYS 155, then the Khaos 155. Us with the AXYS sleds were able to keep the front ends down and under control to maintain momentum, and climb / ride where we wanted to go, but the Khaos was not able to make it. Front end in the air, lose momentum, then stuck badly. He is going to tighten up the limiter strap about 1" and get the heavier weight 210# rear track spring (basically make it into an Axys) to see if that helps. From what i saw, i am glad i got the Axys instead of the Khaos for the deep powder riding we do. Cant wait to see how the changes he is making on his sled work out for him.

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com

but . . . .
Rode with a guy during the week with a 155 Khaos, and he REALLY struggled with keeping the front end down in deep powder (4 ft +). I ride an AXYS 163, the other guy rode a AXYS 155, then the Khaos 155. Us with the AXYS sleds were able to keep the front ends down and under control to maintain momentum, and climb / ride where we wanted to go, but the Khaos was not able to make it. Front end in the air, lose momentum, then stuck badly. He is going to tighten up the limiter strap about 1" and get the heavier weight 210# rear track spring (basically make it into an Axys) to see if that helps. From what i saw, i am glad i got the Axys instead of the Khaos for the deep powder riding we do. Cant wait to see how the changes he is making on his sled work out for him.

No question it's personal preference and different riding styles/areas may prefer the Pro. I've heard guys making minor adjustments to the suspension and changes the sled dramatically so I hope he figures it out because I love mine!

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

but . . . .

If he would just tighten the low speed compression dampening it would plant the nose better than an “rmk”

Easy adjustment.

B
Mar 6, 2019
Love mine. Almost 400 miles on it with no problems. Coming from an Arctic Cat the fit and finish on the Polaris is so much better. Everyone I let try it says the same thing, super predictable. My wife wishes I would have got her one instead of the Alpha. Just put a new bumper on and a can to head for CO in two weeks. It's crazy how just a few clicks of the shocks change the behavior so much.

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
Love mine. Almost 400 miles on it with no problems. Coming from an Arctic Cat the fit and finish on the Polaris is so much better. Everyone I let try it says the same thing, super predictable. My wife wishes I would have got her one instead of the Alpha. Just put a new bumper on and a can to head for CO in two weeks. It's crazy how just a few clicks of the shocks change the behavior so much.

I let my 14 year old son ride mine a couple weeks ago and when I asked him the next day if he wanted to take it again and he said "no". I was confused...." after riding that I don't want to get back on mine". LOL It's not like he's on a 90's machine either....

P1110333.JPG

P2010035.JPG

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
I've got about 200 miles on mine so far. Absolutely no regrets. I too was thinking that it would just want to wheelie everywhere. Having the adjustability with the shocks takes all the worries away. Once you find the sweet spot on the low speed compression clicker, you can go from wheelies everywhere, to planted skis with two clicks. Its pretty awesome to get into a play area and have it wheelie whenever you want, and then adjust the shocks to ride tight trees with a lot of confidence.
Number9t great info on the shocks, I was wondering how much you are changing your front track shock when you are adjusting the rear shock to keep your skis more planted ? I have been running both of my track shocks with the low speed set on 3 clicks back from all the way stiff and my high speed set on 7 back from all the way stiff > Do you play around with your shock springs ? I have fond that just a half turn on the rear shock makes a noticeable difference .

Premium Features