• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 850 trouble code 3589 5 (P16BA)

F
Jan 3, 2008
My sled threw this code and wouldn't rev enough to engage the clutches. Towed it off the mountain and took it to the dealer. Dealer cleared the code and put in a new set of plugs (even though I had just replaced them before this ride). Dealer ran it on the stand for an hour and couldn't duplicate it. I have since had it out twice with no issues but haven't venture too far from the trail. I am afraid to get too far in to the back country and have it throw the code again. Any ideas what could have caused it, or how I could get it running again if it throws the code again?

1680301351944.png

F
Jan 3, 2008
Did they check your oil pump wiring? That’s the code that went off
I don't think they checked any wiring but threw in a set of plugs. Like plugs would cause a oil pump code?!?!? All they did was flog my snowmobile on a test stand trying to recreate the problem. Charged me almost $200 even though it was still under warranty. Said Polaris warranty doesn't cover reading and clearing codes. Pissed me off to say the least, didn't ask my permission to change plugs and the plugs in it only had two rides on them and they chucked em. Sled didn't strand me again the rest of the season so that was good.

To answer your question about wiring I looked it over good during the summer and found where the throttle cable had rubbed through the main wire harness. My guess is that when the plastic coating wore off the throttle cable so the steel part was exposed and the insulation wore off the wires it caused some sort of a short or bad signal regarding the oil pump wiring. I can see the oil pump wires go into loom but hard to know if those are the wires that are rubbed.

This just reiterates why warranties don't mean much to me and I work on all my own stuff. Better off to buy used and use the money saved to pay for parts. Never been impressed with dealer service for vehicles or sleds. Want it done right do it yourself!!! I will be buying and EZ-Lync tuner so I can read codes, set exhaust valves, TPS, and such myself. Could have paid for half the tuner with what the dealer charged me.

Premium Features